Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: New for 2007...  (Read 8934 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
New for 2007...
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »
Great Adventure went in front of the Jackson Township Planning Board on October 16th and were approved for everything.

Here is the link for the article.

Board approves changes at Great Adventure
BY DAVE BENJAMIN
Staff Writer

JACKSON - The Planning Board has approved several changes at the Six Flags Great Adventure theme park, Route 537.

Representatives of Great Adventure appeared before the board on Oct. 16 to present their plans for the coming season.

Planning Board engineer Douglas Klee said one change involves the existing Looney Tunes Seaport portion of the theme park.

"There are some proposals to do some retheming and to add additional rides in the existing area, which has previously been a component of the theme park," he said.

Klee said there will also be some modifications in the hospitality area, noting that a pavilion for an educational facility will be incorporated in a previously undisturbed portion of the park.

The last item had to do with some exit road modifications and automated toll plazas, Klee said.

Richard Maloney, vice president, Birdsall Engineering, Eatontown, presented information on behalf of the applicant.

"The Looney Tunes project consists of retheming the front portion of the Looney Tunes Seaport," he said. "The Looney Tunes Seaport is in the southwest portion of the park."

Maloney said there will be two new kiddie rides and a small stadium and grandstand for children's shows.

Attorney Ray Shea, representing Great Adventure, said these additions will all be in an area of the park that has been previously developed.

"It's simply retheming and adding some new attractions in already developed areas," he told the board.

The wild safari project will have an area where guests can pull over and park.

"What we are proposing is to make the area more interactive," Maloney said, noting there will be an area for pony rides and an interactive animal area.

Maloney said there will be an educational area where visitors will be able to learn about the animals, and a snack bar with tables. There will also be a location where guests will be able to leave their own pets while they visit the main theme park.

"It all has to do with hospitality," Shea said.

"The area itself is going to be called 'Wild Safari Interactive Outpost,' " said Al Rubano, director of construction at Great Adventure. "It is not a petting zoo."

Rubano explained that there will be animals featured as animal ambassadors and they will be introduced to the guests by trainers. That will be part of the educational portion of the show.

"The trainers will be teaching the children about the animals," Rubano said.

Mark W. Kataryniak, vice president, Birdsall Engineering, told the board there will be some traffic changes at the park, particularly at the toll plaza.

The aim of the changes is to ease traffic conflict points and improve traffic control, Shea said.

Kataryniak pointed to an exhibit and said there is a need to reorganize the vehicle circulation entering and exiting Great Adventure.

"This will allow guests to enter any one of the three theme parks as well as cross connect from one to the other," Kataryniak said, adding, "but at the same time have a smooth flow ... at the toll plaza so that we can move traffic more quickly through the toll plazas."

Offline Fjask

• Affiliate
  • Carousel
Re: New for 2007...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:46:13 PM »
Maloney said there will be an educational area where visitors will be able to learn about the animals, and a snack bar with tables. There will also be a location where guests will be able to leave their own pets while they visit the main theme park.
I don't mean anything by this, but who brings their pets to an amusement park? ???

Finally traffic inside the park will be better!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:54:01 PM »
^ Hasn't there always been a kennel to keep your dog/cat near the sadari? Kind of where the new drop off area is? I haven't been over there in about 4 years, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »
The kennel had been there since day one.  However, I think it was either removed or destroyed to build Kingda Ka.  I know it used to be right about where the tower is now.

Yes, these are all very good improvements :)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
Okay, I'll say it.

AUTOMATED toll plazas?  AUTOMATED?

To collect fifteen bucks, they are also going to save labor and cost? 

Sigh.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »
Raise your hand if you foresee many problems due to toll plazas being vandalized on busy days to the point where they will not work for the whole day and hurt throughput for the remainder of the day, if not several days.

* rjholla2003 raises hand
* rjholla2003 also loves me text.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »
IF, and its a big IF they install a decent system, I actually think this might be better.  Nearly every center city Philly parking garage is now automated and it works well.  Think of it this way, EVERY lane can be open now.

I do agree that installing an automated system AND charging 15 bucks is sorta lame, but at least there will be more open lanes and they might actually open on time!

I somewhat applaud them for trying something to work around staffing problems.  Whatever way you look at it, they can't get enough attendants.  And on any given day, some don't show up at all, others quit and others show up late.  I don't see more staff growing on trees so I think this might be the only reasonable alternative.

Lets just hope it works and is more reliable than some of the rides.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »
I agree it can be done.
And where is that Season pass parking gate  ?  I know to the left but some days it's so crowed its hard to get over to the left  but I always find a way he he he  ;)
THey should have a way we can just pull up and scan our parking pass.

Widen the roads in and out
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »
I wonder if they are thinking of doing something like Rafiki's Planet Watch (conservation station) at Disneys Animal Kingdom?  It would be even cooler if they added a wilderness train type ride to get to this new area from inside of Great Adventure.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:06:17 PM »
Maybe have it so people can pay for their parking with the EZPass system?
But for some reason I doubt they would allow Private Businesses utilize the system.
It would make a lot of sense.
Pull thru and your parking is paid!

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 08:13:44 PM »
How would SP parking work?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:24:14 PM »
THat would be cool
I have a EZPass  but I already paid for my 2007 park pass
but yes some kind of ez pass TYPE  system would work great .They could make there own proprietary system. 
have 2 lanes for the electronic pass so we could just drive through.

THey could just make there own system

Also the suits and been counters love these because it keeps track of what and when you visit and from where  like NJ,NY.PA,CT  license plates and model of vehicle etc.
but when it all comes down to it it will coat to much.

OK I know I got a wondering imagination

Tom out
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
Okay, I'll say it.

AUTOMATED toll plazas?  AUTOMATED?

To collect fifteen bucks, they are also going to save labor and cost? 

Sigh.
And the money saved from not having to pay Booth Attendants will go directly into the repair fund because Six Flags isnt spotless on the maintenance. ;) I guess they feel its cheaper then having to pay Booth Attendants to put up with crap from Bennies when they find out its $40 to park.

What really needs to be addressed is the condition of the parking lot asphalt. Its horrible. It feels like I am offroading sometimes with all the pot holes. A a complete repaving is necessary. Also...GET THAT SP LOT UP!

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 07:12:16 PM »
^ That's why i own a Jeep, potholes are no problem 8).
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 09:49:02 PM »
They should replace the non-existent trams whenever I go with personal ATV's to go through the parking lot. You could probably put a price on it and you have your new ride.

Its not that its bumpy persay thats the problem. They did that crap half a$$ job in 2005 and just painted over the existing lines. So now its hard to see what spot I am exactly parking in. Especially on rainy days.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 07:55:29 AM »
anyone notice that the best part of the parking lot is the "perfered" lot.  Just wondering if I was the only one that notice the general parking lot is full of huge pot holes but the perfered lot is nice and smooth . Also the signs in the perfered lot are a lot better then the general lot. So if you want better spots Buck up and pay the $5 more for it . This is the message I seem to be getting from them anyone else?

I am wondering what changes the LTSP will get . I am slightly intrested to see if it will be themed with the looney tunes again or something else. Any ideas guys??

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 08:55:16 AM »
I'm sure one of the stipulations of the Planning Board approval was that repairs be made to the lot (it's one of their biggest complaints EVERY time the park comes to them for an approval).   That will probably mean the pot holes will get filled in the spring, and by midway through the season a whole new batch will open up.   

Of course the Planning Board might have gotten tired of the promises to fix the lot and actually force them to pave the whole thing in order to get the approval.   

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »
It's not just Great Adventure, either.

The old Six Flags management put its money into rides, rides, rides.  Parking lots got next to no attention.  The lots at other Six Flags parks (at least the asphalt ones) are frequently no better.

The trams is a good point, too.  Virtually no parks but Dollywood, the Disney and Busch parks regularly run trams any more.  $15 bucks ought to at least get you a ride to the park.

But what with them automating the toll gates, I doubt we will see trams any time soon.

Sigh.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 09:31:40 AM »
Actually, in their defense, I saw the trams running more than I didn't this year.  Of course, most of my visits were on the weekends but they actually did run.

I am wondering what changes the LTSP will get . I am slightly intrested to see if it will be themed with the looney tunes again or something else. Any ideas guys??

Rumor has it that the area will be re-themed Wiggles World.  There is another topic around here somewhere on that.  I also "heard" that the re-themed area will also stretch into what was Koala Canyon.

Good points GAcoaster.  Maybe THIS time they might actually really fix it for once.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 11:51:03 AM »
wiggles world OH NO  :o..enough sadi on that. i don't really care what the theme is as long as the rides are up and running . I do hope that they include the canyon area in the rehab. It is getting pretty old now correct me if i am wrong but hasn't that been there since it was adventure rivers ??  ::)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 11:59:55 AM »
/\ Don't think it will be a water play area anymore.......

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
wiggles world OH NO  :o..enough sadi on that. i don't really care what the theme is as long as the rides are up and running . I do hope that they include the canyon area in the rehab. It is getting pretty old now correct me if i am wrong but hasn't that been there since it was adventure rivers ??  ::)
It was definately there in the mid 90's and before Nitro. I remember playing in the wading pools when I was a young critter and my mom would tell me not to get the water in my mouth. :D

Offline coastermom

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
 ;D Glad to see I am not the only mom yelling at the kids to keep the water out of their mouths!!! :P

Wade I don't know if not keeping some sort of water area there is such a great idea. that means the only water area is over by KK and on really hot days it may just get too crazy at that one end. I hope what ever it is that the kids will enjoy it more then what we have now.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 10:26:15 PM »
If they were smart about the water issue, they would make Hurricane Harbor connected somehow so that maybe it would be included in the price of admission?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 10:55:34 PM »
Well, the new parking lot setup is intentionally designed to accomadate this.
"This will allow guests to enter any one of the three theme parks as well as cross connect from one to the other," Kataryniak said, adding, "but at the same time have a smooth flow ... at the toll plaza so that we can move traffic more quickly through the toll plazas."

I am so grateful they decided to tackle these issues such as the parking configuration, connecting the parks and the exit roads BEFORE building the new hotel.  It actually seems like there is real planning going on.

As for Koala Canyon, I could be wrong but I have a feeling those 2 new rides will be going in that area.  This section does date back to when Adventure Rivers was built.  It was left back there and never really kept up since.  Hopefullly they do something with this area because I'd rather see something instead of a closed gate.