Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Cedar Fair considers purchase of Six Flags  (Read 3698 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Cedar Fair considers purchase of Six Flags
« on: October 11, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051011/BUSINESS06/510110359/-1/BUSINESS

Cedar Fair LP, owner of Cedar Point and six other amusement parks and five water parks nationwide, said yesterday it is taking a serious look at buying rival Six Flags Inc. or some of its 30 amusement parks.

Six Flags, which said in August it was for sale, has received takeover interest from about three dozen prospective buyers, many of them private equity firms. The company, whose financial records have been disclosed to possible buyers, has a market capitalization of about $674 million and debts of more than $2 billion.

Stacy Frole, director of investor relations for Cedar Fair, said her Sandusky company has financial wherewithal to buy Six Flags or some of its parks. But the deal would have to make financial and strategic sense, she added.

"If the price is right, we'd go for it," she explained. "This has been going on for a month or two, but Six Flags has only made its financial information available now. Until we look at it, we can't say what we will do."

Such a move would be a departure for the Lake Erie amusement business, which has struggled this year with attendance at some of its parks. Historically, the company has acquired only one park at a time.

Six Flags, of Oklahoma City, has 28 theme parks or water parks in the United States, plus one theme park each in Canada and Mexico. However, only its Magic Mountain theme park in Los Angeles competes in the same market with a Cedar Fair park, Knott's Berry Farm.

A dissident Six Flags shareholder, Daniel Snyder, said two months ago he wanted to replace the company's chairman and chief executive and planned to raise his stake to 35 percent from about 12 percent. Mr. Snyder owns the Washington Redskins football team.

Company officials criticized the bid to investors. Mr. Snyder and his Red Zone LLC investment firm have not entered the auction to buy the entire company, sources said.

The auction for Six Flags comes on the heels of other recent amusement-park sales. Private equity firm Blackstone Group this year bought Legoland, which operates four amusement parks, for $459 million and European park operator Merlin Entertainment for $180 million.

Also, Dubai International Capital, the investment firm backed by the government of Dubai, bought Tussauds Group, known for its Madame Tussauds wax museums, for $1.5 billion.

Wall Street analysts expect Six Flags to fetch a high premium, given its strong brand name. For the full year, Six Flags expects to generate cash flow of $300 million and an 8.5 percent increase in revenues.

Analysts expect Blackstone and Dubai to take a look at Six Flags, but they could be turned off by the company's $2 billion in debt.

Analysts said Cedar Fair might be interested in some Six Flags properties, but it is unlikely to buy the entire company. Cedar Fair last year paid $145 million for Six Flags of Ohio, near Cleveland.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 07:05:36 PM »
I wonder how this will play out...

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:07:10 PM »
In my opinion, I honestly think SF will try there hardest to keep GADV. Also, would you want Medusa to be Dominator? I would hate to see CF in charge of GADV.

Offline CrAzY4coasters

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »
yes, I would too. I like CP and DP but I don't want them to own GADV, that would get me very, very angry :x .
El Toro is one hell of a bull !!!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »
Six Flags can't and won't let Gadv be sold off seperately.  The only way I could see CF getting their hands on it would be through a complete take over.  Gadv (along with 2 or 3 other parks) is basically supporting the entire chain right.

Other parks would be forced to close if they were to lose Gadv.

This certainly will be interesting to follow but honestly, I really don't think this would ever happen.

Offline gadvrider2

• Koala Canyon
    • http://Gainsider.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 10:13:03 PM »
SFMM, GADV. and SFNE will not be going for a long time. If you lose those parks, you basically have SFOG left.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 12:52:28 AM »
Even though I haven't been to the Texas parks I heard SFFT, and SFOT are really nice parks as well. It was a plan to visit all three next year, but because of SFAW closing I could only get away to do SFAW this year for the day.

I agree, if Cedar Fair were to buy out SFI they would only keep a hand full of parks that make money.Then they could either Sell off the slower parks and reinvest the money into the parks that are actually making money. Or pay off the debt that SFI has aquired over the years.

Either way, it's scary to think what's going to happen when they buyout takes place. Who ever it may be ?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 08:44:34 AM »
Well at this point I almost hope Cedar Fair gets their hands on Six Flags Inc.  

This doesn't look good - http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticleSearch.aspx?storyID=171195+02-Nov-2005+RTRS&srch=six+flags