Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Leap the Dips w/friends  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Leap the Dips w/friends
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »
After DelGrosso's we headed down to Lakemont. This park kinda of just sits here waiting for attention. It's a mix between Clementon and Williams grove.
I'm not even sure how to describe it really it's that unique of a park. I really wanted to try my first Tobogggan but it was closed due to Rain and Lighting, However Leap the Dips was still Running.

By looking at it you wouldn't expect how much fun this little gem really is. The feeling of the car lift off the track was truly fun if not scary the first time around. Also watch out for the tree and the final drop both very exciting!  It's sad that they only have one car,  but then again...  lucky for us they even have that one so we could get our credit on. I've could have ridden this all day but we needed to hit other rides before the park closed.

I then proceeded to try and get my kiddie coaster credit but the rid-op informed me " No Adults please" after i was tucked beneath the lap bar  :(
I asked nicely to stay on due to the rain and nobody would see me , but he refused.. and sent my daughter around for one lap. It was supposed to be three laps, but due to the rain he felt it wasn't safe and stopped it.

At this point it was heavy down pour so we rode the antique cars . The rain lightened up a little but not enough for the Skyliner to open so we played a round of golf.

Skyliner was a good ride with spots of air time. These pops of air were filled with great views of the baseball stadium next door.  After that We rode some flats,  Leap the dips some more and left. I had enough fun were i could see myself returning just for leaps and hopefully my Toboggan credit.

Onto the pictures....

Having fun since 1894

Since it was still raining the Toboggan was closed. :(

So we headed for the oldest coaster on the planet.

The station house protected us from the rain.

One train ops as the rest waited here for rehab.

Lift hill fans , here you go.

One more car, and we would be next.

Some shots of the track.

Hey...who are those guys?

Good things these guys finally showed up. My daughter wanted to ride this  old school monster, spider  thingy or whatever you want to call it .

Followed by the twister. I was scared to ride because of the one I saw at Williams grove, but this thing never did make a complete revolution.

Last but not least was the Skyliner.

Closer view!

Go Curve !

Back in Philly once again.

Thanks for reading,
Bubs.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: Leap the Dips w/friends
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
This is a park any Coaster or park enthusiast should not miss.
only about 20 miles north of the PA Turnpike so if your driving west to Kennywood or Cedar Point  STOP AT THIS PARK AND RIDE a HISTORIC COASTER.
where can you play arcade games all day for $3.95
where can you ride all the rides all day for $2  yes that 2 dollars. (on Wednesdays)
where can you buy Carmel Kettle popcorn for $1

I will be back to this park and no excuse if you are driving by not to.

nice trip report Joe  I have a few pics I can post later

(these smaller Classic parks are funner then these Mega-parks)
Yo

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »
Nice trip report Bubbs. It was a fun day indeed. Leap the Dips may have even cracked into my "top tier" woodies list. It was just so much fun.

I'll have my photo's up from DelGrosso's, Lakemont and the rest of the trip by the end of the week.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:22:07 PM »
It must of been the looseness and freedom Leap The Dips gave that made it so fun...

Seems like an interesting little park that I will consider stopping at if I am ever in the area

Great TR guys!
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »
Something that helped make it so fun...

As you go down the drops, the track curves down and back up, like a normal drop, but the car kind of just falls into the dip causing some wierd, "giggly" airtime. The ride is just wrong on so many levels, and I'm glad it's still around. It's crazy to imagine that there were over 250 of those type of rides operating when LTD was introduced.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »
Haha Giggly Airtime, well it has no upstop wheels after all, looks like a lot of fun but whats up with the other cars?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:36:53 AM »
^ I guess they need more money which comes mostly from donations and Ace members.  In 1990  Leap-The-Dips Preservation Foundation raised nearly $1,000,000 to bring it back to life.  It is truly amazing how much work actually went into restoring the ride as it sits today.  It may need a coat of paint , but I never knew it looked like this at one point

Here's the rest of the photo's from that site.                                           

http://www.ridezone.com/rides/coasters/leapthedips/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:45:02 AM by Bubba Z »

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:53:31 AM »
That's nuts, but I'm not surprised it needed that much work. It sat dormant for how long?

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 02:39:42 AM »
12 years and 5 Months. lol

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »
Nice TR Bubs

I say this every year about the smaller parks but I REALLY need to make it a point to get out and ride these gems.  Maybe I'll axe one Disney trip off next year to have the time and money to do it lol

How long did it take to get home from Lakemont?

btw- Looking at the condition of that ride, how is it not feasible to restore Clementons Jack Rabbit?  JR is only half as bad as that.  Is it because ACE can't help Clementon due to their business model?

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 09:34:10 AM »
I guess it's not consider a classic unless you grew up in south Jersey.

It took me 3hrs and 45 minutes to get  home.  Wade, the  total cost to go to Lakemont was $67 ...60 of it was gas alone. I could take you're whole family on a Weds and you could still go to Disney.  :)  I think finding the time is more of a concern for you, but you could always call out sick and I could have you home by 8pm.   8am-8pm ?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »
Hershey / Lakemont / Delgrosso would be a good 2 day trip

btw- Looking at the condition of that ride, how is it not feasible to restore Clementons Jack Rabbit?  JR is only half as bad as that.  Is it because ACE can't help Clementon due to their business model?

The 1919 Jack Rabbit is the 2nd oldest Coaster in the World (it used to be the oldest until Leaps went back online)
It should be restored with it being the 2nd oldest.
I think the problem lies in Larry Baker the owner of the Park.
He has been trying to sell the park for many years the park was even listed on a Business sale site for 15 million. He spends most of his time in Florida.
He is asked every year to attend the Eastcoaster event and never returns call,even when Tsunami opened he ignored calls ?
I will donate my time and a little $ to bring this classic back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementon_Amusement_Park
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:29:51 AM by pcman »
Yo

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »
I made plans once to go out and ride Leep The Dips on it's 100th, but we never did. Great PTR.

-Dainan "I really should make the trip" Rafferty

Coaster Count: 255