Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Fun with Phones  (Read 16868 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Fun with Phones
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
A few of us like using the WAP features on our phones so I figured there should be a thread discussing various tricks and tips as well as compare models.

I'll share a little tidbit I just figured out after having my DSL go out (again) last night.  Since I need to always be connected, I have a broadband enabled smart phone.  2 actually and since they are Cingular (At&t),  you can easily swap the 3G card between them depending on the situation.

So, being internetless was bugging me and using the tiny little screen isn't always easy for my job so I had to figure out a way to connect my laptop to my phone to allow me access to broadband but on a full size computer.  This will also help on our drives to Disney and while at hotels without free broadband :)  It effectivly gives my laptop broadband off of my phone anywhere.

How?  Easy.  Through bluetooth.  I enabled the Bluetooth Dialup Networking server Service on my phone, paired the device to my laptop and then created a new "custom" dialup networking connection on my XP laptop.  It "dials" out just like the good ol' modem days but its really dialing bluetooth.  It connects and as long as my phone is close enough, I have internet on my laptop - which is how I'm typing this now ;)

Let me know if anybody plans to actually try this and I'll provide more techinical details.  So now whoever isn't driving the 17 hours to Florida can sit and surf the web while in the car on a regular laptop and not even worry about power since I have a 110V plug in the van :)

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: Fun with Phones
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »
Ahh now we are talking  ;)

I'm sporting a 3g (DSL speeds) Cingular 8525     http://tinyurl.com/2deohc
with all the bells and whistles  Wifi,Keyboard 3g speeds, 2mp camera etc.
in the Past I have owned the  8125, 3125, 2125

as Wade mentioned yes I to can access via laptop the internet with my Laptop anywhere I can get a Cellular phone signal (which is most everywhere)
I can use it via Bluetooth or USB Cable.

I can Access Full Webpages and WAP Pages.

I Currently have my 8525 (HTC Hermes) Upgraded to the New Windows Mobile 6 but a cooked version cooked being a Modified speedier version of WM6.
These Windows Mobile phone the operating system can be upgraded just like a regular PC like Windows 98 2000 XP  Vista but WM5 WM6

Google Has a great app Google Mobile Maps which is just like the PC version you can see street level roads and ALSO satellite images and traffic congestion , Also you can get directions turn by turn

www.google.com/gmm/index.html

Here is a Great Location for How tos and how to get the most out of your device.

My home page www.6abctogo.com has everything you need from news to Weather with LIVE RADAR to Flight tracker and ou can also change cities like Orlando and get the same Local info.

www.howardforums.com
everything you ever wanted to know about Phones, the best forum for smartphone and pocket PCs

www.pocketpcthoughts.com

www.smartphonethoughts.com

www.phonescoop.com

Modding and great forums

www.4winmobile.com

http://forum.xda-developers.com

http://www.howardchui.com   

Links   www.phonescoop.com/links

Yo

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/

Angie Martinez shouted them out on the radio a few days ago since they put her onto some phone that she has real early.  I figured I'd throw that link up here too.

I have a Sprint Fusic by LG.  I LOVE this phone!  It comes with a 64 MB microSD card, but I swapped that for a 1 GB card.  I have something like 30 pictures, a few videos (one being around 5 minutes), and almost 200 songs on there.  There's still room on the card for I think 15 minutes of video.  The 1.3 MP camera takes great pictures.  I never considered any other phone pictures I've had as being worthy of posting on myspace or facebook.  The only thing it could use is a brighter flash.  It does have built-in white balancing, so you can at least brighten up the picture before you take it.  Video wallpapers are also fun.

I can use it as a broadband modem via bluetooth, but alas, my laptop is bluetooth free.  I can use the USB cable for it though.  Sprint's network is incredibly fast, so surfing WAP2 pages at broadband speed is a lot of fun.

My favorite, and most used, feature is the FM transmitter.  Radio sucks?  Play your phone's music on the radio and the problem is solved. It takes a little bit of time to find the best station for your location at first, but with 9 presets to store stations, you won't have to fiddle with the phone too much if you're driving.  The reception is clear with my phone around 5 feet from my car's antenna, and the sound quality is great.  It's another phone that makes me an LG fan.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:46:38 PM »
cool site  www.boygeniusreport.com

Sprint does have a good 3g network at a good price
The LG you have with FM transmitter is cool

the Apple Iphone is crap  castrated, $600 it should have everything

No WiFi,  No 3G  = slow internet come on its 2007
very very expensive
big
no buttons

I can do everything on my 8525 that the iphone does PLUS more for half the cost and half the bulk

Opera mini 4 is looking good  it shows full webpages that then zooms in
Like Microsofts Beta of DEEPFISH

www.operamini.com/beta
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:02:41 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:20:38 PM »
Google's new android software Demo
looks awesome and will lower prices of all Smartphone and Pocket PCs and the Ipod and lead to the universal unlocked phone (a cell phone that can work with Cell phone  network)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/005897.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxWnIalDcY

edit: update to my past post I'm now sporting the ATT Tilt or 8925 or Kaiser with a custom moded operating system

info and links:

http://forum.xda-developers.com
http://tinyurl.com/ypub6g
www.4winmobile.com

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:28:56 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline Majortom1981

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:53:39 PM »
WARNING verizon and cingular do not like you tethering the phones to your computer and using them as a modem if you dont have one of those internet plans. You could get a huge fine or your service shutdown if you tether using a normal unlimited data plan.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:58:42 PM »
...Then the phone shouldn't be allowed to do that with a normal data plan...

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:57:21 AM »
I've heard the same thing.  But on my recent trip to Orlando, I pulled my Cingular SIM out of my iPaq which is 3G and placed it in my Dell Latitude D630 with zero problems.  I just configured the mobile broadband with the exact same settings.

When I checked with our mobile department about this, they did in fact mention there was a seperate data plan for laptops vs. mobile.  My guess is this is only a money thing.  They simply charge more even though its the same network.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:59:07 AM by WadeJ »

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:51:42 PM »

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700w/index.html
That'll be the first thing I do when I get back to Jersey.  Upgrading phones is way too easy and fun when it gets billed to your tuition, and the plan is dirt cheap.  By the time I finish my one class and graduate, I'll have enough money to pay for a standard sprint plan.  Gotta love that Six Flags supervisor pay. lol.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:53:26 PM by rjholla2003 »

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »
WARNING verizon and cingular do not like you tethering the phones to your computer and using them as a modem if you dont have one of those internet plans. You could get a huge fine or your service shutdown if you tether using a normal unlimited data plan.
Been using tether  for 3-4 years
went through 6 phones in that time with no problems all with Cingular I just remove my SIM card and place it in the new phone or any phone.
and before that used Nextel the same way.
I use it anytime I'm on the road and need Web on my Laptop(if no wifi around).
Yes they want you to put out $69 a month but the $19 unlimited plan does the same thing  even in Puerto Rico USA at no extra charge.
spent 5 days in Orlando and Tethered the whole time
I even talked with My local CInguler store and they really don't care.

Just like the Old days when the "phone company" (there was only one back then) would only let you have one phone hooked up in your home any extra they wanted to charge you.
Well I had a phone hooked up in every room  also with The Cable Company back then they only wanted you to hook up one TV.
I had 6 brothers and sisters so we needed more then one phone and TV.

Att and T-Mobile are the only phones where you can remove your Sim card and use it in any other UNLOCKED phone.

if you need help just ask  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:31:25 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »
Just got my new phone over the weekend!

I personally love it. It only has one problem so far which is on BGR and all those other sites but I did a quick fix and has been fine ever since. I really love this thing. The WAP2 page looks really weird on it so I just use to the regular page which works perfectly fine too.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:16:33 AM »
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:18:19 AM by Millennium Force 44 »

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 01:34:24 AM »
The Dash is ok in my eyes. I would have loved the Wing but its a tad pricey and a tad slow. I can easily just get an 8525 for cheap and have it unlocked for me.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 12:24:23 PM »
Yes, the Wing is very pricy. I like the Dash because it has windows mobile and it is very thin for having a full keypad. I did not even look at the sidekicks. I don't really like the controls and they are a bit bulky, plus, alot of teenagers have it and i rather have something different. (although I have not seen anyone with the Sidekick slide yet) I used to have the motorola razr, which everyone seems/seemed to have at one point or another.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »
I had a razor for, um, maybe about 2 weeks.  I hated it so much I canned it.  So I'm back to a Samsung for my regular phone and a Ipaq for my smartphone.  But I should have a blackberry in a week or two.  I'm not sure what model they are getting me though.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »
The Dash is ok in my eyes. I would have loved the Wing but its a tad pricey and a tad slow. I can easily just get an 8525 for cheap and have it unlocked for me.
I just sold my 8525 and got the 8925 Tilt
if you need and links on free unlocking let me know
I unlocked my 8525 and many other phones for free.
I few years ago it cost $ to unlock no it can be done free.
And a unlocked phone is worth more
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »
Thanks I will keep that mind. I got some connections too. He is currently selling his 8525 and buying a Q9.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
FYI
Google Mobile Maps new version 2.0

I just installed it and it is much faster and better
Also My ATT Tilt with the Built in GPS works almost instantly with this new version and I'm indoors.
Were the last version the GPS took a few minutes to lock on.

download here  www.google.com/gmm

also it now works with Nokia/Symbian Palm OS 5  phones

Don't have a GPS phone but still want to know your location well Google also has a new Beta for all Web phone that can locate you
See your location on the map, with or without GPS. Save time and tedious keystrokes finding where you are, what's around
you

www.google.com/gmm/mylocation.html

---------

Also found this on another site with all the pop ups.
Almost Everyone has a Cellphone and using it as a Qbot type device is neat.
www.cellq.com
http://tinyurl.com/2hc3pa

Using CellQ, visitors are free to move around the park, visit shops and restaurants, or just relax while they wait their turn. Their phone automatically calls them to the ride when they reach the head of the line. At the ride they enter through a special entrance and board almost immediately
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:59:44 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »

More info

www.businessweek.com/ap/tech/D8T6SNC04.htm

Google rolls out mobile phone locator

Internet search leader Google Inc. is testing technology that will find the location of people using its mobile mapping service, even if the phone making the connection isn't equipped with a GPS receiver.
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 02:43:08 PM »
Fun :) :)

Just got a Blackberry 8820 :D

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
Nice first Blackberry with Wifi

Wifi
GPS

no 3g but push email etc. you can't beat it
very nice

Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 04:39:17 PM »
First post with it :). :Honestly, it seems faster than my 3g ipaq did anyway.  Regardless, I'll hook onto wifi 99% of the time anyway lol

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »
Yes the bloated Windows mobile
cleaned out all the crap from my phone but sometimes it does lag.
I here an update to Windows Mobile 6 due in January I'm sure to compete with the Iphone
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »
Finally
Looked at my Phone this mourning and see 3G   ;D

I been getting 3G in the Backwood Clementon area and areas that border the Turnpike
but finally after more then a year I have it at my Home

this make a big differences  from slow 200k  to around 900k

here is ATT coverage map www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer
My areas show about 3G a half mile away but this is the first time EVERY i got the 3G ICON.
now to test it at
www.speedtest.net on my laptop and
http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed on my Phone

AT&T's HSDPA network theoretically can top 3.6Mbps, but usually offers average downstream speeds closer to 900kbps.
EDGE's real world max is about 200kbps
So I'm happy SInce I can Tether to my Laptop if my Cable Modem goes down at greater speeds
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:58:52 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 07:36:10 PM »
haha, thanks Tom, thanks alot.  I just got my new blackberry tethered through bluetooth (typing right now over BT) and THIS is the first time I've noticed any issue between edge and 3G.  I may keep my iPaq handy just for tethering because my sim is a 3g card.  On the BB itself, I really can't tell the difference because it is so much more effecient but now that I tethered it, it is somewhat noticable.

HOWEVER, 3G tends to drop connections WAY more frequently.  Esp. when tethered.  If you are on the edge of the edge network (HA!), you will be dropped as it bounced back and fourth.

This blackberry on the otherhand is the first time in a long time I haven't had browser lockups, internet dropouts, and not being able to get email in a looooonnnng time.