Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Fun with Phones  (Read 16880 times)

Offline Majortom1981

• Koala Canyon
Re: Fun with Phones
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 07:41:39 PM »
I am happy with my motorolla razr v3xx. Has an nvidia gpu in it and is very fast,. Has the fastest 3g available and uses opera mini for the internet very well . I can even use this site .

I just wouldnt tether it because att will automatically move you to the more expensive unlimited data plan (not the normal unlimited one but there is a more expensive smartphone unlimited data plan that you would get moved to).

So I am going to warn you guys again.  If you tether make sure you look closely at your bill month to month.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »
Fortunately, its a business phone ;)  Yes, those of you with "standard" phones capable of internet access, watch out!  Smartphones already on the unlimited data plans should be safe.

Tom, try going to http://gadvupdates.com/wap2 in OperaMini.  Once the forums come up, save it as a bookmark.  You can then og in at the bottom which unfortunately redirects to our homepage with zero buttons to get back in the forums.  BUT, if you saved a bookmark prior to entering your logon info, it should be cached if you go directly back to the bookmark without closing the browser.  It should stay saved after that.

I'm totally impressed with the WAP2 interface these boards have in OperaMini.  It's actually amazingly good.  The only issue is getting around the tinyportal overlay because the WAP interface doesn't know how to interpret the home page.

So far, my only major beef with the new 8820 is the lack of 3G (a biggie) and the lack of a camera.  Otherwise, it rocks.  And having integrated wifi I think makes up for no 3G.  Plus, like I said, I think only being edge capable has actually made internet access more stable.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 07:52:45 PM »
My bill says no charge on my Data and hasn't in a few years (beside $19 unlimited)
thanks for the warning. THey get enough of my $ every 8-10 months when I upgrade.

I haven't tried Opera mini in a few months and also minimo (mini mozella firefox) but I will download and try it. And i just read that Firefox is making a Mobile browser.
One thing I could do with my old 8525 was bookmark and browse this GAupdates like a regular site (non WAP) .I like it for uploading pics  this worked when we went out to Ohio and I was copy paste from imageshack through my 8525 phone.
But with my Tilt 8925 it goes into WAP mode ?

Yes I noticed that and heard many complaints on other forums about the switch from EDGE to 3G HSDPA while say driving or if on the edge of both .
I think on my Modded Tilt I can turn off either EDGE or 3G so it stays on either one.

But yes I did a Mobile speedtest at http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed
and I'm getting 600k 700k   :D
much better then the EDGE 150k to 200K

I found that the 3G extended out towards Cross Keys road Near the New Target store.
Seems ATT is expanding south and eastward

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:07:02 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »
So I am going to warn you guys again.  If you tether make sure you look closely at your bill month to month.
How many times are you going to warn us? Once was enough. If someone ends up paying more on their bill, who cares. Its their fault...

Offline innervision

• VIP
  • Nitro
  • Holy atomic pile, Batman!
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:48 PM »
ATT does monitor data usage, I have the MNUN which is 19 dollar unlimited media net (internet) whch you arent technically supposed to have on any type of smart phone. However they have never said anything, and I actually ahd to call up to add it because they dont have it listed on OLAM (online account managerment).

Thought id throw some acronyms in there.

BTW loving my Moto q9h!

Also Wade, Ive heard lots of stories about losing signal when switching between 3g and Edge, so if you live or work or travel near one of the boundries it could be causing that. Also drains your battery quicker than sticking to one or the other.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:15:19 PM by innervision »

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »
Moto q9h looks like a sweet phone

I will keep my eye out for one on ebay when they get cheaper as a backup.
Sometimes this touchscreen is a pain
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »
That was the biggest issue I had switching to the bb.  No more touch screen!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
make Smartphone / pocket PC into a wireless router
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »
make your Windows Smartphone / pocket PC into a wireless router.

This is very cool I use it all the time I was getting around 1000-1300 kbps (3g) through my ATT Tilt and and laptop at www.speedtest.net
if your phone has

- Wifi
- Unlimited Internet
- is Windows Mobile 5 or 6

connect your Wifi Laptop or any other wifi device like desktop pc, itouch, any other wifi phone

then you can use your cell phone like a wifi router  simply awesome when away from a connection for your laptop.

The best reason to use WMWifiRouter instead of Bluetooth PAN is the fact that WiFi (even if it is WiFi b only) provides speeds up to 11 Mbit while Bluetooth 2.0+EDR is limited to 2 Mbit which isn't sufficient for 3.6 or 7.2 Mbps HSDPA connections.
I meant to post this months ago,   download free below

www.jongma.org/WMWifiRouter

discuss below

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=357152

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:46:12 AM by pcman »
Yo

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »
Hey Tom, I have the T-Mobile Dash.. do u know of any program where I can get new skins/color schemes. Thanks.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »

I sure do

Also known as HTC s620 / T-mobile Dash

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309

since this is a windows Mobile phone you can change anything you want
just read read read

check this out Internet for $5.99  ?  \/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=351394

Yo

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »
thanks man thats awesome

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
took them forever but  http://m.comcast.net/welcome.html

for comcast users  log into your account with your mobile phone

Enjoy the freedom and convenience of checking your email and surfing the Internet wherever you go with comcast.net Mobile.
Just access m.comcast.net and you can start enjoying the most popular comcast.net features, optimized for your mobile phone.

EMAIL, NEWS, SPORTS,TVPlanner AND SO MUCH MORE... ALL IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

You are 3 easy steps away from having the convenience of email on the go, the latest news, local weather and the power of TVPlanner available at your mobile device.

Any device that has a WAP 2.0 browser and a link to the world wide web can navigate to this new portal. Anytime, anywhere, anyplace!

To fully access Comcast.net Mobile, a Data Plan from your mobile service provider might be required. Please contact your service provider for more information on your service plan..

NO INSTALLATION NECESSARY!

STEP 1: Connect to the web using your mobile device's browser.
    STEP 2: Enter the following URL: http://m.comcast.net.
    STEP 3: Enjoy Comcast.net from wherever you are!

-- ----------------------------------------
In other news Microsoft just bought the company Danger
Danger makes the T-Mobile sidekick
Microsoft is trying to compete with Apple and Google's Android software / phone
this is all good news for consumers  :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:42:51 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
Yeah. I have a sidekick slide. So hopefully the new merger with Danger and Microsoft works out for the better. Maybe I will actually have video on my sidekick soon.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »

http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/

If it ends up on Sprint, comes out in a timely fashion, and turns up on eBay with a plan for as cheap as I've seen the two HTC phones I was looking at for post-graduation when I'm not eligible for my Sprint discount via Rave Wireless via Montclair State, then I will definitely be in the market for it.  Looks like the best keyboard on any phone I've seen, best touch screen, Windows Mobile 6 or greater, which I want for Outlook and OneNote, and some other goodies on there.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

This is Sony's first Windows Mobile phone and looks to be a good one.
This is one Nice Device has all the features of my ATT Tilt but looks like a better screen.
And Sony makes better quality phones/devices so I to my be eying it.

with its
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 3G speed
- WiFi
- Super Nice 3-inch wide VGA (800 x 480) touchscreen
- 3mp camera
- A2DP Bluetooth
- FM Radio

hands on review
www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13803
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
^Yeah but the phone is being made by HTC I thought with some Sony help?

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 02:27:59 PM »
You are correct sir.  HTC is making the phone for Sony, hence it's sexiness.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »

Yes HTC makes most all Smartphones / Pocket PCs made
but I'm sure Sony will oversee the build quality of this device.
with the reviews with hands on they say the Build Quality is very good / solid

THe screen is the most important part of this device compared with other Windows Mobile device.
its almost as good as the Iphone screen.

Lets just hope the Pricing is less then $299 - $399
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
OK I see alot of members log into the boards from their cell phones.
I'm just curious of what everyone is now using since upgrades and new phones pop all the time.

I'm Still using  ATT Tilt 
Also known as: 8925, Mda Vario III, HTC TyTN II

I just reached my date for a new upgrade but really nothing out there yet worth going to ubtil the end of the year when the HTC Diamond lands or better.

great smartphone info:   http://forum.xda-developers.com 

I also have a few "smaller regular phones" as a backup and my Wife uses a basic Moto Razr V3
ATT uses SIM cards so i can just remove the card and place it in another phone with all my info attached to the SIM card. this can't be done with Verizon and Sprint (if your phone dies you have to buy another one FROM THEM).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:51:02 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »
I'm loving my Helio Ocean, and dreading that they merged with Virgin since I'm not really a fan of their phones or service.  But, by the time it's time to renew my service plan, It won't matter too much.  If Sprint still exist, still has the Everything Plan (simply amazing, and Helio matching was the only thing that made me hop over), and still has Windows Mobile phones that I want, I might go back with them.

Helio runs off of Sprint and Verizon's network, so reception is no issue.  The Ocean is a simplified Pantech Duo, which I was considering as a phone when I was considering ATT service.  I run Opera Mini 4 as my primary browser since the standard browser sucks and uses google to mobilize everything. Native support for Yahoo, AIM, and Windows Live IM clients and e-mail is a big bonus, as well as the addition of native GMail and EarthLink e-mail (all accounts are Direct Push).  For a phone that's not a mobile PC, it's the ultimate communication device IMO.  Plus for a small fee it supports Microsoft Exchange, and for another fee, Garmin GPS!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
for you T-Mobile users you can now get the new GOOGLE phone

-requires a Data Plan
-Limited to 1gb download a month (this will prevent it from being a big seller)

FYI this is what my ATT Tilt phone looks like and running at this time, Google Maps with the GPS is great
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=426349

some pics and reviews of the T-Mobile G1 phone below:

www.engadget.com/photos/t-mobile-g1-first-hands-on-2/1051508/

www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/t-mobile-g1-video-hands-on/

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:44:09 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
Google Latitude released, share your location on the go

www.google.com/latitude/intro.html

Google has announced that on Wednesday it will expand its current service on Google Maps to track individual user's locations. The feature will allow SmartPhone users to share their locations with others to track user's last location, and help locate each other.

I see this is like Loopt but may be better with its broader use of phones and Desktop pcs and its Google.
this is great since parents and Businesses can keep track and for free.THis would have been great at my last job knowing where all my guys were at.works with all smartphone / PPC / PDA / desktops

With such a feature, privacy concerns are at risk of helping predators or unwanted people finding out a users location. To combat such issues, Google has implemented a feature where users need to manually turn the tracking feature on, while making it easy to limit access, or disable the service. Google promises not to retain any user's movements, but the store the last location by the user on Google's computers.

The service is available in the United States, and 26 other countries. Each location is marked with a personal picture that only selected users that the owner wishes to share with can see. The service requires users to have a SmartPhone and use either a cell phone tower, GPS, or Wi-Fi to locate their location. Users who wish to limit access can set their privacy to show their location within a few yards, up to the city they are in, depending on the cell phone towers.

Parents can also keep a track on their children right from their PC or laptop, by tracking SmartPhones such as Blackberry's, Windows Mobile devices, Google's Android, and the iPhone with the service enabled.

The software plots a user's location — marked by a personal picture on Google's map — by relying on cell phone towers, global positioning systems or a Wi-Fi connection to deduce their location. The system can follow people's travels in the United States and 26 other countries.

It's left up to each user to decide who can monitor their location.

The social mapping approach is similar to a service already offered by Loopt Inc., a 3-year-old company located near Google's Mountain View headquarters.

Loopt's service is compatible with more than 100 types of mobile phones.

To start out, Google Latitude will work on Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry and devices running on Symbian software or Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile. It will also operate on some T-Mobile phones running on Google's Android software and eventually will work on Apple Inc.'s iPhone and iTouch.

To widen the software's appeal, Google is offering a version that can be installed on personal computers as well.

The PC access is designed for people who don't have a mobile phone but still may want to keep tabs on their children or someone else special, Lee said. People using the PC version can also be watched if they are connected to the Internet through Wi-Fi.

Google can plot a person's location within a few yards if it's using GPS, or might be off by several miles if it's relying on transmission from cell phone towers. People who don't want to be precise about their whereabouts can choose to display just the city instead of a specific neighborhood.

There are no current plans to sell any advertising alongside Google's tracking service, although analysts believe knowing a person's location eventually will unleash new marketing opportunities. Google has been investing heavily in the mobile market during the past two years in an attempt to make its services more useful to people when they're away from their office or home computers.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:51:18 AM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »
Looks cool. Will check that out. I still don't quite understand Loopt anyway. Google makes everything easy.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
But u don't want a gphone do you ? I can get one cheap if  your looking to trade out.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
Hell no! iPhone all the way!