Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: The Dark Knight coming in 2008...  (Read 43951 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
The Dark Knight coming in 2008...
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:47:27 AM »
http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/rides/thedarkknightcoaster.aspx

The Dark Knight Coaster is coming in 2008!  Be transformed into a citizen of
Gotham City ? caught in the middle of a city under siege and torn apart by The Joker. 
With The Dark Knight, experience the ride of a lifetime.  Venture through demented hallways of twists, turns and hallucinatory images, while being tormented by The Joker himself.  Then set foot onto a distressed, vandalized train platform.  You can only guess at what awaits as you speed through six
180-degree hairpin turns, climb unseen hills, plunge into pitch darkness and dip into unforeseen danger.  As you attempt to escape the terror, your only hope is that Gotham's Silent Guardian ?
Batman ? can save you!

THE DARK KNIGHT COASTER BY THE NUMBERS
Height Restrictions - 48" min. to ride alone, 42" with adult. 
Ride Category - Thrill
Flash Pass - No 
Length - 1,213 feet
Duration - 120 seconds
Capacity - 32
Introduction - Spring, 2008
Manufacturer - Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG

I hope they would release some renderings and an animation...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:56:36 AM by ChuckR »

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: The Dark Knight coming in 2008...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
YES another coaster for the middle height group!!! my son at 44inches can ride with us. :) I am happy to see this and can't wait for the renderings and animation as well .

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »
Six Flags Great Adventure Announces 'The Dark Knight' Themed Coaster for
2008 Season
Six Flags Great Adventure announced today its new attraction for 2008: "The Dark Knight Coaster," an indoor dark coaster based on Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming movie The Dark Knight featuring
DC Comics' characters Batman and The Joker.  The Dark Knight Coaster opens April 2008.

"Today's announcement represents Six Flags Great Adventure's continued focus on delivering a
well-rounded and balanced entertainment package," said Mark Kane, Six Flags Great Adventure's Park President.  "The Dark Knight Coaster offers a unique experience that will appeal to families and teens alike."

The Dark Knight Coaster will transform guests into citizens of Gotham City ? caught in the middle of a city under siege and torn apart by The Joker.

With The Dark Knight Coaster, guests will experience the ride of their lives.  Venturing through demented hallways of twists, turns and hallucinatory images, they are tormented by The Joker himself.  Then as they set foot onto a distressed, vandalized train platform, they can only guess at what awaits them as they speed through six 180-degree hairpin turns, climb unseen hills, plunge into pitch darkness and dip into unforeseen danger.  As they attempt to escape the terror, their only hope is that Gotham's Silent Guardian ? Batman ? can save them.

"The opening of The Dark Knight Coaster will be perfectly-timed to coincide with the debut of the next Batman film from director Christopher Nolan.  We're very excited that fans will be able to have a
first-hand experience with the sites, sounds and thrills of crime fighting in Gotham City," said
Brad Globe, President, Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products.

The Dark Knight Coaster will use storytelling, physical movement, video, sound and special effects to bring guests a one-of-a-kind dark ride experience.  The $7.5 million coaster will be located in the Movietown section of Six Flags Great Adventure.

About The Dark Knight Movie
Batman (Christian Bale) raises the stakes in his war on crime in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent
(Aaron Eckhart), Batman sets out to dismantle the remaining criminal organizations that plague the city streets. The partnership proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a reign of chaos unleashed by a rising criminal mastermind known to the terrified citizens of Gotham as The Joker
(Heath Ledger). The Dark Knight releases in theaters July 18, 2008.

About DC Comics
DC Comics, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world and home to such iconic characters as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Sandman. These DC Super Heroes and others have starred in comic books, movies, television series (both animated and live-action) and cyberspace, thrilling audiences of all ages for generations. 
DC Comics' Web site is located at www.dccomics.com.

The Dark Knight indoor coaster is slated for an April 2008 opening. Guests can receive
up-to-the-minute park news and now purchase a 2008 season pass online at www.sixflags.com.

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/info/news_TheDarkKnightCoaster.aspx
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:12:25 AM by ChuckR »

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »
YES another coaster for the middle height group!!! my son at 44inches can ride with us. :) I am happy to see this and can't wait for the renderings and animation as well .

I am with you on this one!!! My 7 yr old is going to be so excited to hear about this. He can ride Torro but, he's not quite ready for it yet. This addition will please everyone in my house and, all my friends that are parents of betweeners. I know betweeners is not a word but, it's our term for the kids who haven't hit 54 inches yet LOL.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »
Perfect addition to the park and a major smart move by Six Flags.  Not only another ride in the shorter height range but its indoors.  In a odd way, we are getting our dark ride at the same time :)

All of this for only 7.5 million.  Is this their new cap on coasters?  The new GCI is almost the same cost lol

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
I agree

- New Coaster
- Dark ride
- Family ride
- not to costly

Wow Great Adventure 3 years in a row a new coaster,  but minus 2
This will sell more season passes

As much as I love 25 million dollar rides its just not good for the companies finances,plus i own many shares and this will give a little boost.
they can build all 3 of these at 3 parks for less then the cost of a "mega" type coaster, spread the love.
Just as Wade mentioned with the New Woodie

Big is not always better

I wonder how much they can sell or did sell Chiller for ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:34:54 AM by pcman »
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
The only place 25+ million dollar rides belong are the Florida Universal parks, Disney parks and maybe the Busch parks.  They just don't belong in seasonal parks.  Six Flags is about to install what are probabaly outstanding dark ride coasters in 3 parks for less money than one Kingda Ka.

As for Chiller, last I heard its not for sale or being sold.  Just simply removed.  It will probably sit around like Ultra Twister in a field somewhere and rust before they finally scrap it.  Presumably, there are MANY parts that are valuable to them for the other Preimer coasters in the chain.  Those parts alone make the careful disassembly worthwhile.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »
Word on another forum is that some park in Europe bought it, I wonder how much truth there is to that! I don't know the person that posted it too well so I can't assume they do or, don't know someone who'd know? Uhg, That would be funny if it popped up overseas problem free huh? I wonder if our Evolution is still running well in St. Louis? Is that where it went? I can't remember! :(

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
One has to wonder what is going to happen to Movie Town to make this happen.  They replaced Viper with Toro and refreshed the entire area.  Obviously, we have Golden Kingdom, Wiggles World and Bugs Bunny National Park which are mostly refreshed areas using existing infrastructure and layouts (with the exception of GK of course!).  Could there be more plans in the works??  They certainly started taking Chiller down early enough and the area is in desperate need of a cleanup.

As for Chiller, I can't see anybody being dumb enough to buy that hunk of crap lol.  Its a lemon.  If Six Flags couldn't get it working after pumping all that cash into I'm not sure why anybody else would want to try.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »
Agreed Wade, I thought it a funny rumor to but, you never know.. I thought the same of Evolution. I would have assumed the parts would at least be valuable as you have mentioned. As for Movietown, It does need some desperate attention these days. Maybe they will dredge up some stored flats? Wishful thinking I know. I would assume the Stunt Arena will be seeing new life. You know Rick is hoping for work again this winter.

Offline Majortom1981

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:24 AM »
On the jackson township zoning and planning board agenda for october 1 states this

"1.
Administrative Approvals
a. Block 3101, Lot 11 - Six Flags Great Adventure
Ride removal/replacement and re-theming
"
So maybe they will be retheming the area. One of you can go down to the meeting on monday night and find out. :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:49:18 AM »
I guess I should have included some  8) 8) 8) in my post  :D

At least, thats what I've "heard"  :)

Offline Majortom1981

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:53:34 AM »
If it does get rethemed to gotham city then I hope nitro's name doesn't get changed.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 11:56:41 AM »
Boy if you didn't give a big hint at the end of August!
Oh well....Batman it is....Hopefully there will be more details soon.

No more Batman themed rides ?  :-\   Not even using other charactors from the Batman francise?
Me thinks we'll see some Movie Town action.   IMO, this area is due for a massive makeover  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:54:28 PM by Ogolo »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
LMAO nice job digging that up lol

Offline Majortom1981

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »
Now is the chiller building staying or is it getting knocked down? How will it be redone since both sides had different seperate track and load and unload?

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »
Set it up like Kingda ka ? Idk

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
On the jackson township zoning and planning board agenda for october 1 states this

"1.
Administrative Approvals
a. Block 3101, Lot 11 - Six Flags Great Adventure
Ride removal/replacement and re-theming
"
So maybe they will be retheming the area. One of you can go down to the meeting on monday night and find out. :)

I'll be working just down the road from that meeting! I wish I was able to just step out of work for an hour! I think Nitro keeping it's name would still sort of fit in Gotham City. I am sure they could get creative enough to incorporate it somehow.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
To be honest, thats the one thing I don't think they are even sure about just yet.  Chillers removal was not originally in the plans for this ride even though the new ride was coming all along.  But it now seems they might try to reuse some of Chillers structure; which IMO is kinda cool if they can.  I've always liked Chillers theming (esp when it was all working!) and have some sentimental attachment to it as well.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 12:08:13 PM »
I am sure they will figure out how to use Chiller's Queue House. They are probably looking to save money. Excavation of that building would become sort of costly, no? This will definately be interesting. I am looking forward to seeing new life to that side.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
Then as they set foot onto a distressed, vandalized train platform

Does this mean all the rides in the park are now called Dark Knight?    Just joking, the park looked amazing this year! Just a little pre 03 humor

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09:47 PM »
Anybody want to start taking bets on the future of Movie Town Water Effect?  The ride has been troublesome and is horribly outdated anyway.  We saw the surprise removal of the Arrow Hyroflume last year so anything is possible.

I was just thinking... now would probably be the best time to do it.  

I also found it kinda odd how I've been checking the Jackson Twp. website for weeks for any details to be leaked and they kept holding off posting the agendas and NOW it appears lol

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
Think they're onto us Wade? ;) Oh wait, I think WE (This site in particular) have yet to sit in at a planning board meeting?

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
Well in that case I am glad Rick, Austin and, Dane rode MTWE when we went in July.

Offline Majortom1981

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
I can only think of 2 ways to reuse the building. one side is load and the other side is unload with a bend that connects the two.

The other way is to have one side the load and unlaod and have the other side animitronics and stuff.

Thats the only way I can see it being used.