Author Topic: Tivo  (Read 3215 times)

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Tivo
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
Is it worth getting? If so, what size? Also can i get the videos onto my computer? Any help will be appreciated.

Offline blazzinmatt

• Parachute Training Center
    • MATTDONDERS
Tivo
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »
I LOVE my TiVo. It is definitely one of the best investments you can make. As for getting it on your Hard Drive I will leave that up to Stew as he handles all info in that are. But I really do recommend getting it if you can.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
Tivo
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »
everyone on this board will tell you tivo is worth it.  f you get it, that means one more person that can tape stuff and put it on the internet for me to watch!
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
Tivo
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »
Tivo is like the greatest tv invention! I just got one for my room for christmas. Yes there is some way to get it on your computer but im clueless how but my dad does it so it's possibal. For size hmm I got a 40 hour and its fine I guess as long as you set the recording quality to basic.

If you have the extra cash I would by the DVD recorder one.  If not no matter what size you get will do.  And I recomend getting lifetime membership.

El Toro Rides: 5   Kingda Ka Launches: 17

My Pictures

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
Tivo
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 08:31:29 PM »
I really should get this, but the thig is I never watch TV untill after 9 or so because I am out alot.
I will get it so I can tape shows that I miss.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Tivo
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »
We can't live without it now :)

I'm thinking about getting another one for upstairs lol

Offline Deadman

• Carousel
Tivo
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:48:51 PM »
I'm waiting for Comcast to integrate the Tivo software into their DVR boxes, right now it's just Comcast DVR(which I hear isn't too spectacular). They signed a deal to put it on last year, and it is supposed to be done sometime this year. I can't use a regular Tivo box because of HDTV, they only offer HDTV boxes for satelite.
is back? in black?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Tivo
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:54:06 PM »
Comcast DVR's SUCK.  Everybody I know that "HAD" one hated it and no longer has it.  They are junk.

Ironically, they are switching back to Tivo.  DirecTV already has HD Tivo's but they will not support the rollout of MPEG4 local channels.  You will have to go with the DirecTV branded DVR's for HD locals but they are actually supposed to be decent.

Offline Deadman

• Carousel
Tivo
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:50:11 PM »
Ya, the only way I could get a DVR at the moment would be through Comcast unless I switch to satelite, or drop my HDTV package. I'd rather just wait untill they intigrate Tivo into it.
But, if Verizon offers their TV package here when they are done stringing the fiber lines, I'd surely switch.
is back? in black?

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
Tivo
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:48:36 PM »
Love both my TiVo's! Right now I can only extract video from my Series1 (Old!) using TyTool. Also TiVoWeb lets me acces it online. Both these products require you to hack your TiVo.

The Series2 TiVo's have Tivo Desktop which will extract the video and allow you to burn to DVD.
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Tivo
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »
So right now tivo is only selling series2 tivos right? So im safe on buying any one of their boxes. Now i have another question. Does the tivo run off my current cable network or do they supply me with their own cable?

Offline blazzinmatt

• Parachute Training Center
    • MATTDONDERS
Tivo
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
Well my "TiVo" is DVR from Time Warner cable. Most cable companies have DVR boxes which are the same thing as TiVo. I am not sure if TiVo provides the cable service themselves.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Tivo
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »
Oh Ok. That is fine by me. I hope that verizon broadens its boundaries for its cable service because i want to get it. :D Basic cablevision isnt too invigerating.(sp) Alright thanks for the help guys. Is it better to buy the monthly, year, or lifetime?

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
Tivo
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
You plug your cable box into the TiVo. It uses your current service. Be it Cable, Satellite, or even Antenna!

Also, as previously stated, the built-in DVR's that the cable company offers don't have as good of an user interface as the TiVo's. Comcast boxes will eventually actually have the TiVo software on their boxes.

The only downside of the TiVo vs. Cable Company DVR? No HDTV on TiVo yet, while the DVRs handle it fine...
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Tivo
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
I dont have HDTV channels so its not loss for me. The old man says i shouldnt waste my money and that i should save up instead. We will see about that. :twisted: