Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: If you were in charge (Part1: Kingda Ka)  (Read 5721 times)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
If you were in charge (Part1: Kingda Ka)
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:56:28 PM »
I just had a thought cross my mind, and I can see many more of them popping up.  That's why I titled this thread like it's part of a series.  I think it would be fun if any other threads that were like this were titled in a similar fashion, so if you come up with one, could you all humor me and just run with it?

Anyway, if you were in charge, how would you "fix" Kingda Ka's queue?

I would simply put up a Plexi-Glass "tunnel" over that part of the queue that is a problem, and solar tint it to help keep it somewhat cooler than it would be in the hot sun.  I also would set up the type of mister that is just a small rubber tube you can run wherever you want along the inside an keep those on when the temperature is such that the tunnel would get hot.

Over at the observation booth, I would put up a Plexi-Glass wall and just keep it "hocky style".  No need to cover the top of the area.  As long as it's about as tall as it is for a hockey game, it should do the trick in case of any malfunction.

Of course, this would be a draw to vandals who think that this is the Crayola Museum.  I would make sure that there is a security guard at those locations at all time.  At the observation area, they would not just look for vandals, but pranksters as well.  Thinking about how close to the launch track it is, I'm kind of suprised that it has no barrier.  You never know when some punk kid is going to find it funny to throw a Big Gulp at the train because they think they are in The Weatherman.  Those who are caught violating those rules will be ejected and persecuted to the full extent of the law so that they are responsible for the costs of repairs.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:05:42 PM »
I would definitely as you said bring back the old queue and put some kind of barrier underneath the launch track. I would open up the observation area and just do what RJ said.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 03:54:43 PM »
Hmmm, I often wondered if some sort of heavy mesh netting should be around the entire launch track in the area of the queue.  

They could easily use plexi to screen from the sides but over the top may be, um, over the top.  It would also be a crowd control nightmare if a riot or something happened because there would be no way out.

I think they could just put a plexi wall up along the actual launch track (2-3ft tall?) to prevent the spray of debri from up top and they could add some sort of mesh netting under the launch to prevent the spray of debri from the actual launch parts.

I really think they plan to reuse that queue though.  It was probably just easier to modify it in the off-season so that the ride wouldn't be down any longer.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »
The old que is supposed to be coming back next year.

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:10:36 PM »
I hope so, the views of Ka launching from the first queue house was awesome!

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:29:11 PM »
I would also put some glass where the tunnel thing is and some how build a themed grandstand for viewing.

El Toro Rides: 5   Kingda Ka Launches: 17

My Pictures

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 12:30:17 PM »
I know this will probaly not happen, but I would love to see a radar.

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 04:25:43 PM »
^ Ya that would be cool, they have one on TTD and under it says "Fastest Roller Coaster In The World!" that annoys me lol

My Pictures

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 12:01:27 PM »
Quote from: "medieval"
The old que is supposed to be coming back next year.

While I hope and think you are right, I do want to add one more thing (which comes directly from Kristen herself).

At this time, they are still awaiting the outcome of the queue modification plans they had sent to the state.  They "hope" to have things fixed in time to reopen the queue next season but at this time, its still unknown.

It is good to know that there is still hope :)

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 04:21:55 PM »
Is it just the part of the quene that goes under the track thats the problem? or is it also whats after it?

My Pictures

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 01:16:33 PM »
I believe it's just the part that goes under the launch track.

Also, the word is "queue.  There is no "n" in the word.  A lot of people have been typing it wrong on a lot of boards and I don't want you to be one of them. :wink:
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline G_Adv_123

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
I think we are going to see the old queue again next season.  As far as the hot sun goes, all they have to do is get one of those sun tent things (a la Nitro) and theme the colors to Ka and the rest of the queue.
El Toro, stampeding into GA in 2006!

Offline gadvrider2

• Koala Canyon
    • http://Gainsider.com
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 09:18:31 PM »
I would place some sort of see through  tunnel over the launch so that it can still launch in the rain. I also would get rid of that horn before the launch, and make some tiger sound. I would also place a Statue of a tiger with its mouth open by the launch track, and put the radar inside the mouth.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »
The tunnel is a must, for protection.  This is the only way Six Flags could make the queue safe again because of the accident

For those who have made the trip out west..  The GOLIATH queue i feel is amazing.  I would do something similar to that.. masking the tunel with a great amount of huge leaved plants and such.  Ofcourse, because of the view problem, parts would have to be left open to see king in all its glory.  

But its supposed to be a jungle, so misters, perhaps a tunner or some sort.. and a great amount of tribal-jungle theming
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!