Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Official EastCoaster News  (Read 15846 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Official EastCoaster News
« on: February 04, 2006, 06:16:12 PM »
Here is the Six Flags related info that was annouced at EastCoaster today.  (From Kristin's presentation)

ENJOY!

Corporate News:

Mark Shapiro is a dynamic guy with a fantastic vision for Six Flags.  They all truly believe that he will lead Six Flags to the next level.

Headquarters is moving from Oklahoma City to Times Square in New York City at the end of this month.

Six Flags is VERY focused on the guest.  The new management understands that when you invest time, attention and resources into your facilities and team members, guests will enjoy their experience and the parks will succeed.

They disagree with the philosophy of putting two or three major attractions in a handful of parks and ignoring the rest.

They believe in world-class facilities that deliver on every level.

Moving forward, they want to see significant improvements in every park, not just the lucky few.

There?s a buzz and excitement throughout the entire company.  They know that the decisions made over the last 8 years cannot be reversed overnight, and that all of the wonderfully positive changes and ideas we have will take time to accomplish.

They ask for your patience and your support as all Six Flags team members work to make the parks the absolute best entertainment experience they can be.

Great Adventure News:

Smoking is out, and you can still come back in.  The new management is extremely family focused.  They?ve made all parks smoke-free environments.  For those of you who do smoke, you will be able to do so in designated areas only.

Just to clarify if anyone is confused about park re-entry, all parks are continuing their policy of allowing guests to leave and re-enter the park on the same day.

More Characters:

In addition to the loveable Looney Tunes characters like Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, Tweety, Granny, Foghorn, Marvin, Wile E., Porky, Petunia, Pepe, Speedy, Lola, Gossamer and the rest, three new DC Comics super heroes will join Batman and Robin this season, The Flash, Green Lantern, and yes, Wonder Woman.  You will see MANY more characters in the park.

During the past 8 years, they have focused so much attention on hardware, while the quality of the software, what we call ?touch points,? diminished.

You?ll see more entertainment than ever before.  You?ll see more of Bugs Bunny and his pals, more strolling street performers, more ambassadors to help you throughout the day, more security and less line cutting, friendlier, more knowledgeable team members, more family-friendly programs like parent swapping and family fun guides, trams that actually ride through the parking lot to pick up guests, a new website that?s fun, easy and interactive, rides that run ?and run at full capacity and more.

Again they ask your patience as all of these things will not be in place by opening day.

2006 maintenance and operations improvements:

More trams & buses, better lighting in the parking lot and toll plaza, new and improved entrance and exit signage, and new in-park maps and signage.

Onto the rides...

They are completing a major overhaul of Spinmeister, which includes re-machining the axle, new bearings, and replacing hydraulic motors.  Spinmeister will be ready for April 1.

They are completing a major overhaul of Flying Wave, our swings.  Flying Wave will be ready for April 1.

Batman the Ride is getting a new lift chain.

Great American Scream Machine is getting a new lift drive.

Rolling Thunder is getting annual track replacements on the lift and in the back turn.  He got a bunch of new skid brakes and side panels on his trains.

Chiller has had LIMs replaced in the station and booster area.  Robin will be ready for April 1, and Batman will be ready shortly after.

Runaway Mine Train is getting a paint job of his station, track and supports in that area, getting a new lift chain, trains are getting painted and getting new restraint upgrades with individual lap bars.

What ELSE is new for 2006:

Bugs Bunny National Park, the third children?s area which features wilderness theming and is located between Lakefront and Frontier Adventure.  It will be home to five rides, some just for kids and others accommodating parents.  Those rides include a kiddie carousel, Samba tower, junior Ferris wheel, mini himalaya and mini airplanes.

BBNP will also have a huge sprinkling fountain for kids to run under, as well as a snack bar called Looney Tunes Camp Kitchen, the Bugs Bunny Wilderness Theater featuring an interactive kids show, and Ambassadors of the Wild, small exotic animals and their trainers, like the ones found in the Golden Kingdom last year.

Plaza del Carnaval, is home to Rolling Thunder, the new La Cocina Mexican restaurant, the new El Mercado marketplace-style shopping area, and games.

The new family ride, Tango, is a Zamperla rockin? tug, and El Toro.
trains, magnetic brakes and the prefab track.

El Toro Opening:

They are not aiming for opening day ? it will be a little bit later in the spring.  Keep checking sixflags.com and this site as well for updates.

Finally, Coaster Celebration is on June 17.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »
Geez, just hearing this makes me want opening day to come sooner than ever!!

Offline Metsman.

• Balin's Jungleland
  • Open your eyes, I'm a blessing in disguise
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 06:30:02 PM »
Good stuff. Too bad Medusa is going to rust on for at least another year  :?

SFoG has one of these "Rockin' Tugs": http://www.sixflags.com/parks/overgeorgia/Rides/rockintug.html

Top 10 Coasters: S:RoS (SFNE), X, Nitro, Kingda Ka, TTD, Millenium Force, Apollo, She

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 06:34:58 PM »
Ours is gonna be themed differently. They're actually a little fun ride...

Offline Nozzy

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:57:16 PM »
Sounds good, but wasn't Flying Wave just rehabbed 2 years ago, and Scream Machine's lift drive replaced last year?  As for Chiller, I wish they'd forget about Robin and just open Batman!  Every year Batman is planned to open shortly after the season and it never does(for long anyway).  Finally, I notice the two new lift chains are the two rides whose chains broke last year lol.
New characters are very cool though, as well as all the other stuff.
Still alive, contrary to popular belief.

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
Batmans lift chain broke last year, so its a good thing its being replaced.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 08:28:18 PM »
this is all very nice news.  But they missed the repainting of medusa!

other than that it all sounds good
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline 68CamaroGuy

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »
All this news sounds great. I like the fact their doing some paint work and rehab for RAMT. The comitment to have all the rides running to capacity is great news to.
With enough desire , dedication , dicipline and determination anythings possible.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 10:25:57 PM »
I hope Wonder Women doesn't park her invisible Jet in front of Kingda ka.

Counting the days till opening day,  I can't wait !!  I also think a Rockin Tug is a fun family ride.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 11:21:50 PM »
I cant remember to save my life where i saw one last.  Maybe it was moreys piers.  Whereever it was i didnt get a chance to ride it, but it looked pretty cool.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 12:20:52 AM »
ADMIN EDIT:  Thanks for the nice compliment lol ;)

While I VERY much appreciated it, I wanted to keep this back on topic...

Offline 68CamaroGuy

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 12:41:17 AM »
ADMIN EDIT: Thanks for the nice compliment lol  :)

While I VERY much appreciated it, I wanted to keep this back on topic...
With enough desire , dedication , dicipline and determination anythings possible.

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 02:15:51 AM »
Jeez Wade, talk about finding a way to save me some work ;)

I will have a full report tomorrow, after I get some sleep.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 10:23:58 AM »
Nick you saw this one at Morey's Pier. Plus Storybook Land put one in last year and Knoebels the year before.

See kids love it  

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 11:21:30 AM »
This ride is sure to be a hit.  Even better is that Gadv is getting one with a different theme.  Most seem to be off-the-shelf rides.

I'm surprised the annoucement of a new website didn't spark more excitement lol.  That has been long needed.

And I know a certain someone on this site is going to appreciate the official policy on child-swapping being available at Guest Relations ;)

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »
^ :wink:  :wink:   Other big news from East coaster is FOF will not open for the 06 season at PKD. Hopefully they Re-theme it and not ship it some where else.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 11:52:24 AM »
Aha yes i did bubba, thanks for that.  

That kind of stinks for PKD, I heard that was a pretty swell ride..

but somehow i think were going to hear a lot of the other crazy news as soon as cyclonic gets his butt out of bed and types!

In the mean time.. lets me thankful we didn't get any sour news from GADV staff.  Nothing but good news and I'm all smiles for this season!

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 12:25:24 PM »
Sorry Nate , just found out some other news !!

Rumblefest ERT has been posted.  http://www.acemidwest.org/rumblefest_reg.pdf

At EastCoaster, the presentation said 8pm-12am. Just thought I would throw that out there.
all information has be obtained from Ted and Dave over at http://www.coasterfanatics.com/ Thanks Guys!!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 12:33:34 PM »
Quote from: "WadeJ"
I'm surprised the annoucement of a new website didn't spark more excitement lol.  That has been long needed.

New website?  For Great Adventure?  Is it going to be as good as Cedar Fair's park websites?
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 12:57:32 PM »
OK, here is a rundown of some of the stuff that went on at EastCoaster this year.  Alot of this stuff we already know, but some of it is new to us, and there is some interesting stuff in there as well.

Holiday World

Of course Voyage will be ancoring the new Thanksgiving themed section of the park.  It will be ready for opening day on May 6.

They did filming for the same Discovery Channel show that did filming for El Toro.

Holiwood Nights is the new coaster event, and will be on May 26-27, and feature nighttime riding on all three wooden coasters.

SFGAdv

Wade pretty much covered everything here.  I would like to add that the Wilderness Theatre is a re-theming of the Lakeside Bandstand.  They are also replacing alot of the park signage in the park, putting up new directionals and more new park maps.

SFA

SFA made no announcements, but they were there to present the Coaster Museum with a sign and piece of track from the Texas Cyclone.

Paramount Parks

As we have heard, the parks are up for sale right now.

All parks are getting a new "Fantastic World of Hanna-Barbera" 3D show.

Carowinds

The are expanding their waterpark by totally re-theming it to the Boomerang Bay concept, adding a second wave pool and a few more waterslides.

Great America

They are adding a brand new coaster, Survivor: The Ride (yes, I thought it was a joke at first as well).  This is the first instalation of the Zamperla Disko Coaster, with is basically a Disko with a bunnyhop in the middle.  Sounds like a fun ride.  To add to this, they are going to split riders off into two "tribes".  While one "tribe" is riding, the other, which is waiting to ride, can make lots of noise and stomp around, which will activate waterjets on the ride.  The louder they are, the wetter the other riders get.

PKD

PKD is adding their own version of Italian Job Stunt Track, this one being called Italian Job Turbo Coaster.  It looks like the same ride as the other parks already have though.  Media Day for the new coaster is expected to be May 18th.

They are also adding a Go-cart track and a Dora the Explorer show.

Flight of Fear will be closed in the 2006 season, but they would not say if it is going anywhere.

Canada's Wonderland

They are adding a Mission: Impossible Stunt Spectacular in an all new arena.  This arena will be set up so that the stunt show will be going on all around the spectators, including stunt drivers riding bikes under the stands.

PKI

The kids area is being completely revamped into Nickelodeon Universe.  New rides will include a Zamperla Kite Flyer, Zamperla Jumpin' Star, a new life size Sponge Bob waterplay area and a all new version of a Zamperla Skater.

Cedar Faire Parks

Most parks are seeing price reductions.  Also, all parks are adding a senior rate plan for those 62 and over.  All parks are offering cotton candy for .25 this season.

Dorney park

A second wave pool is being added to WWK.  They are also adding a water effect to Hangtime.

Coaster Madness is Firday, June 9th.

Worlds of Fun

Adding the new Patriot inverted coaster.  This is the largest single investment made at this park.  It will be a smaller invert, with just four inversions.  Looking at it, I like to call it Talon Lite.

They also donated the front car of the old Orient Express to the Coaster Museum.

Geauga Lake

They are finishing the expansion of WWK with a giant new wave pool.

Raging Wolfbob's retracking was completed, and they are doing some major work on Villian.

They will have a new Lumberjack show as well as a new magic show.

Their coaster event, Coaster EXT, will be June 3rd.

Cedar Point

Their new addition is a giant Screamn' Swing, "Sky Hawk".

Tom Rebbie from PTC

He was not there, but sent along a video showing referb work going on for all of SFA's trains, as well as the trains for Tsunami.  He also showed the brand new train for Voyage, which are already complete.

GCII and Beech Bend

They showed progress pictures of the new Kentucky Rumbler, which is pretty much finished, as well as the new banaster and logo for the ride.

Cool news here, the trains for KR will have working headlights on them much like to old century flyers.

Rumberfest, featuring 4 hours of nighttime ERT, will be on May 28th.

Some other cool stuff

Paul Ruben (who I am no fan of) did put on a good show with some interesting concepts from IAPA.
    Vekoma "Thrill Lift", witch actually lift the entire train vertically, sins the whole thing on end, then releases a break to send it plumeting down the first drop.
    Vekoma "Splash Party" is a Roller Soaker concept using Vekoma's Junior Suspended coaster so it would have more hills and twists and turns then the Setpoint version.
    Vekoma "Big Air" is basically their version of the Half Pipe coasters.
    S&S Sonic Boom is an S&S freefall tower that uses a tube with compressed air to stop the ride.
    S&S Sky Rollercoaster (this really did look fun) is a modification that can be done to Sky Coasters so that instead of laying down, the riders are suspended in a harness that allows them to do 360 degree flips (like on a Sky Scraper).
    Chance Morgan Uni Coaster is basically a
Looper on rails.  It will have a clutch that riders can control to make then go upside down when they want to will on the ride.  A truely interactive rollercoaster.[/list]

That was about it.  Sorry, no Knoebels, so who knows what they are up to.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline CoasterPete

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 01:21:04 PM »
I personally am thrilled with the rehab work on the Runaway Mine Train.  I've been thinking for a few years now that the track needed new paint, the supports seemed ok.  And like everone else is, I'm excited about the new website and most of all, the tram service.  Although I probably won't use it often, I think a park the size of GA definately needs a good tram system.  The Rockin' Tug is definately a fun family ride.  I have ridden it before and found it very entertaining.  

Pete
Florida's hidden secret.....the Dania Beach Hurricane!

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
Now that's the update I was looking for. Thanks Nate for all the great information. A looper on rails, now that's crazy.

I also like the idea of headlights on the trains of KR. Also Survivor does sound pretty fun. It keeps both people happy in line and on the ride at the same time.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »
That stinks... no news from Knoebels. :(

Thanks for providing us with all of the additional info Nate!

KR will be AWESOME with those trains!

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
Was there like a Q&A session at EastCoaster?

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2006, 06:02:16 PM »
The Thrill Lift looks cool :D . I hope somebody in this region installs one.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3