Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: New HH ride?  (Read 9000 times)

Offline JetzFan14

• Koala Canyon
  • Im in the nostalgic phase of my life; all 13 years
New HH ride?
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »
Rumors been going around for a while now that Hurrican Harbor is going to get a new Slide or Attraction of some sort. They say we might get a tornado funnel type of slide possible or mabey one of thoes Towny Hawk Half Pipes. We're definatley get somthing new because through out the 2008 operating season some vistors and i spotted orange markings on a tree showing were whatever will be.

if you got some news please post it

-JetzFan14

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
  • Parachute Training Center
Re: New HH ride?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
I would think if they were going to add something to HH for 2009 that it would have been announced by now.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »
That rumor has been around for the last few years. Nothing came out of it.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »
Rumors are just that ...Rumors .   Dan believes are ride for 09 went to St. louis.  : (    Plus with only 87 days left I doubt it as well.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »
HH was slated to get a new attraction in 2009 but I'd guess between the economy and all the cutbacks that it won't happen.  It's definately on their radar though.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
Thats very true, I guess the money went to a Medusa revamp?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »
Honestly, I think they could have just painted Medusa and used the left over money to generate a new ride at HH. Medusa is a great ride and really doesn't need all this fancy schmancy stuff.

Offline JetzFan14

• Koala Canyon
  • Im in the nostalgic phase of my life; all 13 years
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »
You guys are corrrect when you say they should announce it but, when does Six Flags Announce Much of anything (besides medusa revamp). Then again, i have only been looking at these typ of sites for 2 years (but not great adventure) so could be anything (im crossing my fingers) :-\

Offline innervision

• VIP
  • Nitro
  • Holy atomic pile, Batman!
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:27:04 AM »
Just to make it clear, there wont be any new attraction in HH this year. The park and the company defnitley know it is overdue but the money was just not there this year. You can be sure when there is a new ride coming it wont be a surprise when the park opens for the season, it will be a big deal with press releases and the whole 9 yards.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:16:44 PM »
And of course, we will be there to let you know of these types of things.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:08 AM »
The problem is that I think at this point a Tornado might be seen as too little too late. But I could be wrong and people might really enjoy it. I wouldn't mind getting a nice water coaster like SFNE has, though.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »
Since it's morning now and I can write a little more clearly I wanted to express my views on Hurricane Harbor. Some of you guys know these already.

First off, I love water parks. I enjoy them a lot. I've had Hurricane Harbor passes for the past 4 years. But I'm not getting one this year.

Here's the problem: Hurricane Harbor gets no love. This isn't a shocker to anyone. It's gotten one addition (Hurricane Mountain I believe right?) since it opened, and that was 7 or 8 years ago now. The rides need paint, the park is always packed, and with the beach a half hour away it's just not worth the money to me anymore.

And therein lies the other main issue - our Hurricane Harbor is one of the only additional charge Hurricane Harbors in the entire Six Flags chain! The Hurricane Harbor at Six Flags New England is great, especially the Tornado and water coaster. And hey, you can get in with just the normal park pass!

One of the newest Hurricane Harbors at Six Flags Great America opened in 2005. And in 2006 it got a Tornado. And guess what? It's attached to the park, and has no additional fee to get in (as far as I can tell).

So right there are two Hurricane Harbors that you don't have to pay extra for, and have some pretty nice rides in them, and have gotten additional rides since they opened.

I can understand not getting new rides if Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor were one park, one price. We have some great things at the park, so shortchanging the water section, alright. But our Hurricane Harbor is it's own park, with it's own price tag! I don't mind the fact that you pay extra to get in there, but somehow even with that it lacks far, far behind other Hurricane Harbors in the chain.

I'm not sure who else agrees with me, or who thinks I'm crazy. But I've said this I think for three years now, hoping for a change. Hoping more attention is paid to the water park. But I'm starting to lose hope.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:19:02 AM by jglonek »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »
I'm guessing they had to build HH where they did because of the safari being back there.  One of the biggest issues I see with them making it part of the park addmission is the logistics of it all.  If it were included, that park would probably be sold out every day by 10:30AM.  And then you'd have insane amounts of traffic from folks wanting to go back over to the theme park.  So between the logistics and our demographics in our region (we have easily double the number of turnstile clicks each year vs. parks like SFNE), I just don't see that working.

Now here is what I don't get... if they charge a seperate gate fee, which again I really don't have a problem with and don't think you do either, they should get MORE improvements and upkeep!  The place needs a complete overhaul.  Every single building and attraction needs to be repainted and in some cases rebuilt.  All of the tubes need to be replaced and the park needs to be expanded since it's often so packed it isn't even fun.  We stopped going in 2004.  I had enough of dealing with no new attractions, insane crowd levels, crappy service that was WAAAAYYYY worse than the theme park and sucky facilties.  When you go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon once every other year, I guess you become spoiled but our water park was once a reasonable comparison to these great parks.

Lets all hope they have something even more grand in mind.  For instance, if it ever gets built the hotel should integrate all three parks.  They may also be planning a massive multi-million dollar rehab to the entire park as well and have to hold off on new attractions to make it part of that?  Who knows.  All I do know is they are very much aware of HH needing some attention.

edit:  I should add that I have no clue how the service is these days.  Guest service at the theme park has also dramatically improved over the years so I guess it's only fair to say this has also been the case over at HH.  Does anybody have recent experience there to let us know how they are doing?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:21:27 AM by WadeJ »

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »
I don't mind at all that it's an additional charge, but it's like you said, there should be more improvements going on than there are.

As for service.. I'm not a huge visitor, someone else can probably describe all that better. I went once this summer and managed to scrape Melissa's knee in the wave pool so we went home in about a half hour (woops!). It was so packed we were back on the grass by the volleyball courts on chairs.

But if the lazy river is any indication of how things are going at the park, the answer is not well. What are tubes? What do you mean you have to stay in your tube in the river? Yeah. That's not enforced at all anymore.

Edit: And this isn't completely on topic but I'll never understand the hourly dead body safety checks in the wave pool, since places like Dorney aren't like that. But maybe it's a NJ law thing :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:29:03 AM by jglonek »

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
On the positive side, if you drive by the park, you will notice that the slides are all freshly painted.  It's not much, but at least they addressed one issue.  I'm not personally big on water parks, but I did have fun the one time I visited, and it seems very odd that it's pratically in opening conditions after 8-9 years of operation.  Sounds like the IoA folly to me.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
That is great news.  The faded slides upon entering the main entrance road really set a bad impression.

This is GOOD news!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
I guess they did look a little brighter on my way to the castle.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 02:28:30 PM »
Heh, time for my !$.02

I thought about it and I am against the one price for the two parks, bear with me here. If you merge them, ultimately you will raise ticket and pass prices because you get the 2 for 1 kind of deal. I say this because I usually never go to HH and if I do ill go once or twice a year and therefore never buy the 3 park simply because I do not use it.

Granted you would expect more improvements, Room is certainly not the issue, even another wavepool would be fine!

Personally, though Dorney is one giant Cluster*WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP!* I liked their Waterpark alot

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »
Dorney even has some neat little things, although I think they got rid of one of them? I remember the deep slide off a little rock, and then right next to it was walking across floating lilly pad's by holding onto a rope. I'd love to do something like that at Hurricane Harbor, and talk about cheap!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
I would Love Lilly Pads in HH, however the crowds that hit HH would overwhelm them

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »
SF was all about the tornado before the economy took a serious fall this year.  We (Clem) were ready to buy a tornado, and than suddenly decided not to when we got word that HH was getting on for 09.  Don't be surprised to see one as early as 10.

And whoever said HH at several other SF parks is free with park admission is absolutely correct.  SFKK has a water coaster, and its still free with park admission.  I've noticed a lot of things that we could do a lot better ever since ECC started touring the country every summer.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline griff88

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 06:13:03 PM »
i know that the HH in arlington tx is also separate tickets but it aint good