Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Golden Nugget  (Read 6357 times)

Offline redlafrance

• Balin's Jungleland
Golden Nugget
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »
http://www.app.com/article/20090123/NEWS/901230

:(
Very sad.  The Morey brothers are good guys.  I'm sure they tried very hard to avoid this.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Re: Golden Nugget
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:18:52 AM »
Broken link?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:35:17 AM »
here ya go

www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990123009

this is even better  with pics www.pressofatlanticcity.com/186/story/381497.html

Don't worry there will be a NEW ROLLERCOASTER in it's place in 2010-2011 (will find out in 2 weeks at eastcoaster)

I have a picture someplace with me as a baby on the beach with the Golden Nugget in the background (when the water was up to the pier) in the mid 60's

this is me and a few friends over the Wildwoods

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:42:06 AM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:08:51 AM »
You skydive Tom?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
Yeah, like you've done it enough to be able to go solo? Cool!

Chuck! When you get back, we should dive over Wildwood!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
and I landed here on that mound of sand during Coasten by the Ocean last year (is only $45 this year)  \/

na  , I live only a few miles from Cross Keys airport (nearest sky dive place) and always wanted to try sky diving

Yo

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 02:11:02 AM »
You should do it! It's fun! :)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:50:26 AM »
I plan on diving over Europe this summer and yes Matt let's skydive Wildwood!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
Wow this topic got Hijacked. :P

This ride looks pretty unique and fun from the looks of it on RCDB and that link Tom posted.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:27:15 AM by overlord »

Offline J2 rules

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
Looked like a cool ride, never got a chance to ride it.
 Now I wish we had. 

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:53:23 AM »
Anyone attending the Golden Nugget Funeral ?
Saturday
Jan. 31

"Jack Morey said the farewell ceremony, complete with refreshments and clam chowder, will be held inside the ride, which is being cleaned up in time for the event.

The ride will then be demolished."

I rod it many times as a kid
I also remember and have pics somewhere of the Kamikaze Steel coaster that was once on the pier
it's now Ninja at Six Flags Georgia
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:58:27 AM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:00:17 AM »
We're not going, but I hope someone goes so that we can see some pictures.  It just doesn't sound that interesting to me to make the drive to Wildwood in the dead of winter.  Plus, I hate Clam Chowder!

Offline NJACERep

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »
I will be there. The Morey Organization asked me to give a speech on behalf of ACE. As one of the Nugget's biggest fans this is truly an honor for me. I hope to see some of you there! I'll be taking plenty of pictures as well.

Adam

Anyone attending the Golden Nugget Funeral ?
Saturday
Jan. 31

"Jack Morey said the farewell ceremony, complete with refreshments and clam chowder, will be held inside the ride, which is being cleaned up in time for the event.

The ride will then be demolished."

I rod it many times as a kid
I also remember and have pics somewhere of the Kamikaze Steel coaster that was once on the pier
it's now Ninja at Six Flags Georgia

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
According to Amusement Today, Knoebels did indeed buy the Golden Nugget track and trains.  It's good to know the Golden Nugget will ride again one day.  It'll certainly be interesting to see what Knoebels has in store for the ride.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »
Maybe Dick will make a announcement this spring at
Ace Preservation conference ,,  HHmmm more dark rides ?  :D
# Hersheypark 
# Knoebels Amusement Resort

Event date: 5/15/2009 - 5/17/2009

or maybe he will show up at Eastcoaster ?

www.aceonline.org/Events/details.aspx?event=254

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:16:06 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 01:03:38 PM »
Yep:

http://www.amusementtoday.com/
Morey's Piers' Golden Nugget purchased by Knoebels Amusement Resort (Jan 26, 2009) Though we at Amusement Today have known all along the identity of the Golden Nugget's new owner, we honored a request to keep the information classified until both the Morey organization and the new owner were ready to release details. Below is an exclusive announcement AT just received that finally reveals the mystery:

"Given the amount of speculation occurring online and the number of phone calls we're receiving asking the question, it's time to acknowledge that Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysberg, Pa. has purchased the Golden Nugget track and trains from Morey's," said Joe Muscato of Knoebels. "There are no immediate plans to install the ride at Knoebels. This is, at best, a 2010 project. Neither a final location, or design/concept have been determined. The plan is not to exactly reproduce the ride as it was at was at Morey's Pier.

Dick Knoebel, president of Knoebels Amusement Resort, said, "I've always liked the Golden Nugget and we're excited about bringing it to Knoebels but we are not going to rush the project. We want to be sure that it is restored in a manner that both acknowledges the ride's past and looks to its future at Knoebels."

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »
^ And HSTC has just been replaced, sweet!
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »
Uh, read again.  There are no immediate plans to install the ride at Knoebel's...

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 07:31:57 PM »
HSTC has been replaced though. A new family coaster is scheduled to debut this season. It's already on the Price List on their website.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »
This is a good thing  like the Phoenix it will rise again with a coal-mining theme

"The ride, Muscato (Knoebels spokesman and family member) said, will not appear exactly as it was in Wildwood. One option might be a ride with a coal-mining theme given, Central Pennsylvania's history, instead of a gold-mine theme, Muscato said.

Morey said that would be an appropriate theme. "I'd love to see that," he said, adding the ride is destined for a new life. "RIP. Reincarnated in Peace," Morey said.

Still there is work to be done before the Golden Nugget finds a new generation of fans.

"First, we need to assess the condition of (the trains and track) and see what needs to be done," Muscato said. "But our first assessment was it was definitely worth bringing it here."
Yo

Offline J2 rules

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
Thank you Dick Knoebel. I can not wait to see what they do with it.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
I never made it done to this farewell event but I found a writeup on www.thrillnetwork.com looks like they had a great turnout

"Today I went to the Golden Nugget Goodbye ceremony that was open to the public on Hunt's Pier in Wildwood, NJ. In the hour before the ceremony a few hundred people stood on the boardwalk to enter the picket fence covered entrance of the pier. The ceremony was held inside the Golden Nugget, which got my interest in attending. Upon entry I got a gift bag with a piece of lift chain and a plastic miner hat. I noticed some people got track pieces and some got banister pieces, not as cool. The Morey's were quite surprised to see the larger than expected crowd on hand. They expected 200 but got well towards 500. Afraid that there wouldn't be enough chowder what do you get to fill in between? Philly soft pretzels that is. You can always get that in an instant in South Jersey. The Golden Nugget was gutted of track for all but a small section of the loading station were there were two cars in the corner. There were pics of the memorable times for the ride on the walls. I got to take a few pics of the lift hills and touch the structure. After the Morey's opened the ceremony, the Hunt's grand daughter spoke, John Allen's son, and representatives from PTC, DAFE, and ACE. It was freezing cold, but after the ceremony there were tours of the Morey's paint and coaster shop. At the reception of clam chowder and pretzels there was the model of Morey's proposed two pier coaster. I've seen pictures before of it but there were some details I didn't notice before. Really juicy features. I appreciate very much the free gesture and goodbye by the Morey's organization."

They had a new model of the proposed coaster made out of wooden,I'm sure will will see it at Eastcoaster
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:02:13 AM by PcMan »
Yo