Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Great Adventure Reinventing The Wheel  (Read 2780 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Great Adventure Reinventing The Wheel
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
I'm sure most of us have seen the photos that have come up during the offseaon of the Big Wheel being dismantled. Many of us were thinking (and hoping) that it was just for refurbishment, but there was always the lingering fear that the ride was being removed. And let's be honest, it wasn't looking in the best shape last year.

Well, today the Asbury Park Press has put an end to those rumors with an article that discusses the future of the Big Wheel. The entire article is a GREAT read on the history of the attraction, but below is the good stuff:

Now, in honor of the ride's 35th anniversary, management has spent the off season refurbishing the "Big Wheel," complete with thousands of new, energy-efficient Light Emitting Diode bulbs. Maintenance crews and electricians are midway through the six-month process of getting the new, improved brighter Ferris wheel ready for the park's April opening.

"It's very common for theme parks to want to preserve their iconic attractions especially if they've become a part of a park's character," said Great Adventure spokeswoman Angel Aristone. "And the Big Wheel is definitely part of our property's character."

You guys can read more about the changes to the Big Wheel after the break!

The new visuals will include multicolored lights arranged in a floral pattern. Crews will be applying more than 100 gallons of bright paint to the ride as well.

"It is important to restore (Big Wheel) to its original, historic beauty," said Mark Kane, president of Six Flags Great Adventure park. "While at the same time, we are improving its impact on the environment."

Park officials estimate the new energy efficient lights will reduce carbon emissions by about 8.5 million pounds.

And Chuck pointed out an interesting part in the original topic which accidentally got deleted:

The Big Wheel, along with the sky ride, log flume, and the flying wave, are the original four major rides still active at the park.

Flying Wave huh? Pretty sure that's gone! Unless we're in for a surprise this season.

So anyway, in short, I can't wait to see this updated ride! Is it going to be dark by the time the park closes on Opening Day??
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:42:51 PM by jglonek »

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Great Adventure Reinventing The Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »
Mark should focus on the Merry-Go- Round Next.    Oh , I'm looking forward to seeing the new improved wheel.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
Pretty cool stuff guys. They are repainting it within the same interval as the last paint job in 1991, but it held up better this time. Anybody remember all the graffiti in the '80's?

The floral pattern will be kept as part of the refurbishment. It's been an iconic piece on the wheel since its days at the tulip festival in Holland. The ride is a portable ride that has a few sister wheels across the world, including Cedar Point.

Read more about the iconic wheel on Great Adventure History's spotlight page:
http://greatadventurehistory.com/GiantWheel.htm

EDIT: Here's a video from the Asbury Park Press with GA Public Relations Rep. Angel Aristone and GA Cheif Engineer Larry Chickola:
 http://app.com/section/VIDEONETWORK&videoID=1021676760
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:41:27 PM by darkridedan »
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »
Sounds like they could easily integrate the Big Wheel into the Glow in the Dark Parade now!

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to that video Dan.
I am impressed. They will be using energy efficient bulbs. Awesome stuff Six Flags!

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
Hey, I don't know if you guys caught this yesterday because I know I didn't, but the Asbury Park Press has some photos of the Big Wheel under renovation, as well as pictures when the Big Wheel was first being built.

Here are some!

[smg id=97]
[smg id=96]
[smg id=98]