Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Changes to the Park for 2009  (Read 9209 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Changes to the Park for 2009
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
So as we go over everything that we saw yesterday I wanted to create a post to let you guys know what changes have happened at Great Adventure and the Wild Safari for the 2009 season. Some of it isn't huge news, some of it I didn't even realize until just now. So here goes!

Note: This will be updated throughout the day. I'll make note of when we're done updating it. So keep checking back!

Great Adventure
- Medusa is now Bizarro.
- Main Street Treats is now M-PORIUM sponsored by M&M's
- There are automated ticket selling machines before the booths on the way in
- There is a new Cyber Cafe restaurant on Main Street, which is not open yet but will feature food and internet access.
- There is now a Cabana rental building next to Cabana Cove
- The Cold Stone on Main Street has gone from a small hut to a large building.
- Houdini is still there but not there. Ya know what I mean.
- The part of the Boardwalk games section by Twister has been removed and now features and indoor eating area as well as another Johnny Rockets.
- Tango is gone. Well, the sign is gone at least. So chances are it's gone as well.
- The Medusa bridge is new and open again!
- A sponsorship with Coke has allowed the placement of many coke-bottled shaped recycling cans around the park
- At the main season pass processing center you now enter your information into a computer instead of writing it on the back. So don't waste time in line writing on your pass papers like we did!
- There were costumed characters walking around all day, I hope that's a trend for the season
- The lights don't seem to be on the Big Wheel yet, but we might be crazy.
- Next to the Mega Putt in Fantasy Forest is now an indoor minigolf place.
According to Bubba this was there last year
- There seem to be more, or at least updated, speakers around the park
- There are many advertisements during the music now, discussing various things in the park.
- There are now announcements 15 minutes prior to shows starting on the audio system.
- There is wood covering the openings on Chiller's old tower. And according to the park map it's going to be X-PLORATORIUM: Interactive Laboratory. Nice!!
- Two rides in ltsp are now flower beds and no rides "exist" in golden kingdoms jungle land section. Yes, as on zero. None at all. So that's a total of another 7 with 5 of them being some of the best themed kiddie ride I've ever seen at a six flags. From Wade
- Oops, almost forgot - the train ride in the back of bbnp is also without a sign. From Wade

Wild Safari
- There is now a $29.99 Wild Safari-only season pass!
- There are two tours now available. One is a non-stop guided tour for $10/person plus tax. Another is a personal tour that lets you stop at certain animals, which is $34.99/person plus tax. Both can be signed up for, and leave from, Balin's Bazaar in the Golden Kingdom
- There will be an Animal Adventure Camp in the summer! As the description says "Kids age 6 to 12 can enjoy a week-long journey into the world of exotic animals, including dolphins, tigers, elephants, giraffes, monkeys and more. They'll have fun while they learn about animals and the importance of preserving their habitats through hands-on activities and exciting live animal presentations from animal experts. Go online to sixflags.com/greatadventure or call 732-928-2000 ext. 2076 for information! Space is limited. Camp runs 9am-1pm with 10 5-day sessions from June 22nd to August 28th. $299.99/person plus tax". That sounds great! Can I do it?
- There is now a Wild Safari birthday party! You can tours of the safari, food, cake, picnic area seats, and a drawing from Chloe the monkey!

Hurricane Harbor
- All the slides are freshly painted. Looks really nice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:20:18 PM by jglonek »

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Changes to the Park for 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »
The indoor glow-n-dark golf was there last year.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »
Two rides in ltsp are now flower beds and no rides "exist" in golden kingdoms jungle land section. Yes, as on zero. None at all. So that's a total of another 7 with 5 of them being some of the best themed kiddie ride I've ever seen at a six flags. Glad Faith doesn't need a pass yet because she doesn't need to bother going now as all the true kid rides are gone now.

Oops, almost forgot - the train ride in the back of bbnp is also without a sign.
I sincerely hope these rides are safely put in storage with the hope of the economy turning arounf because a ton of folks are just a tad pissed.

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »
Ride rotation project 2009. 

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I noticed something minor: When you are exiting El Toro, the fence on the left (after you go down the stairs exiting the station) has about a foot of new wood at the top to extend the height of the fence.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »
They did that last season all around the park after the Georgia incident.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »
darn, I thought I found something that wasn't posted already. ;)

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:18:43 PM »
Two rides in ltsp are now flower beds and no rides "exist" in golden kingdoms jungle land section. Yes, as on zero. None at all. So that's a total of another 7 with 5 of them being some of the best themed kiddie ride I've ever seen at a six flags. Glad Faith doesn't need a pass yet because she doesn't need to bother going now as all the true kid rides are gone now.

Oops, almost forgot - the train ride in the back of bbnp is also without a sign.
I sincerely hope these rides are safely put in storage with the hope of the economy turning arounf because a ton of folks are just a tad *I'M A BAD PERSON!*ed.

WOW with my son being 48 inches this season we didn't head into the kiddie areas at all but that is a very sad state of things to come if all these rides are no longer there or are not going to open this season. IF they really want families with all ages of kids to come then why get rid of or not run kiddie rides that need to be there .

I have to say the day was good for us we were not counting on doing much there anyway . I did have an issue at El Toro . IF the ride says 48 inches and the stick hits the kids head then don't tell me it has to hit his forehead , Then he needs to be over 48 inches . HE did get to ride he is over the height they need to train everyone on proper height checks .
My other issue is I got the pop corn and cotton candy bucket you are suppose to be able to fill it all season for I think 99 cents or something like that anyway  . It was cracked I noticed it after we ate the popcorn so I went to exchange it for another one No issue there but not until today did I noticed the bucket says 2008 on it , I have my reciept so I am going to ask for a new bucket next week when we go just a little annoyance but enough to be annoyed .

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:08:56 PM »
Are the kiddie rides in the Golden Kingdom still there, or did they take them out completely?

There are many advertisements during the music now, discussing various things in the park.
- There are now announcements 15 minutes prior to shows starting on the audio system.

They had these last year as well.  I was impressed until I started hearing advertisements for lunchables every 10 minutes
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
Coastermom,  I heard the same thing about the forehead height check. Hopefully  this will be address to the employee's working rides.

Nick, the rides are still there just like Tango, but  will be removed soon.

OK Rant, since this is  the " Change in the park thread".   This is what i wish could be changed.  When you buy a coaster from Intamin , Have them put sensors on every seat.

I want El Toro to have sensors for each seat, not the whole car. You can call me Fat, big boned, large and in charge, wide hips, thunder thighs, etc.  But I know when they say recheck car 6,  9 out of 10 times they look for the biggest guy!!!  Well Saturday,  I guess they thought that was me... and again it wasn't !!!!!  I know where the bar should rest on my lap to be safe and enjoyable, but no they send over two ride -ops to staple me in.   They keep pushing and pushing. All I hear is re- check 6.  Hey I know,  send over one more ride op so all THREE can push.  Recheck six, my head slumps in disbelief.  I've ridden Toro tons of times all at the same weight.. give or take tens pounds. At this point I say," I'm stapled far enough"  , could you PLEASE check someone else in this car?   What do you know, some slacker behind me trying for a one click ride!! Finally it's .... "All clear Dispatch". 

Unfortunately  I couldn't stop the ride to get out. I could hardly squirm my way in the seat to feel comfortable. The pain grew drop after drop ( Being that my stomach is now above the lap bar due to air time)  until finally we reached the break run  and I  heard the wonderful sound of "clear advance" knowing I would be off soon!

I understand safety is an a huge issue. Listen, I don't want fall out either, but I know where the lap bar needs to be.  Putting a sensor on each seat would also speed things up. The lead would look down and say, oh it's  (6:1 R)  rather then saying recheck 6 and wait until every seat gets checked. 

Listen I'm over weight , I get it , I could stand on losing 20lbs,  but I'll still be a big guy after doing so.  I guess I'll always be profiled as the Fat guy by Intamin standards.  It just sucks I get  over stapled every time.... even when I'm not at fault.   End Rant.

BTW, when building trains,  what do you think the maximum spec for height and weight are ?

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »
I feel your pain. I stapled myself on Saturday when Matt was the problem. :P

Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline coastermom

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »
Bubba ... I hear you with Toro .. I was watching them staple people in both times that I rode on Saturday . were you riding with a little girl ? There was this one guy with a little girl they were really jamming in there and it wasn't even his seat . Had to be around 6 or 7ish at night poor guy didn't even get to enjoy his ride .

I am sure that the height thing will be addressed as more and more kids that are just the height or just over the height want to ride and more and more people ask for re checks or supervisors. I also don't really like the new PVC height poles . What happened to the ones with the actucal HEIGHT on them . They were measuring sticks so you knew exact measurements .

My other thing this Saturday was the bucket of pop corn I bought was refillable all season long . Fine the bucket was cracked so I got a new bucket NOW i noticed on the bucket is dated 2008  :o. Thank goodness I have my reciept so I can go to guest relations on my next visit and get a 2009 biucket ..UGH  Just a little annoyance .

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
 ^ Wow, That was me!   I was so Heated  when I got off because not only was I in pain , but more so because of the pain on my daughter's face before we even left the station. 

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »
Many of these issues are probably more due to the new employees than anything else.

I couldn't ride with everybody because the queue checker at Toro told me that you do parent swap by going up the exit and getting a pass.  I knew it's always been a pass at guest relations but I thought maybe something changed.  So I dragged my 2 boys up the exit and fought through all the people exiting the ride to find out I was right in the first place.  The the woman at the exit even complained about how the other girl didn't know what she was talking about.  I told her all my friends are already in line as they were told to do and by the time I would walk back to GR and back to Toro the park would probably be closed.  She said sorry, nothing I can do.  So we simply waited in line two times and wasted our time.

Again, the odds are in another week or two this wouldn't happen just like the height bar but GEEZ these are rather simple things to know.

It's opening weekend.  I'll give it another 2 weeks before giving up.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:56:15 AM »
Wow, so that was you I saw Bubba!  I though you were the guy that said "No" when they asked if you enjoyed your ride, lol.  I just didn't get a good look at your face.  Looks like a lot of us on the boards were at Toro at once and didn't know it.  I think I saw CoasterSue talking to another TM, Justin, in the station.  I saw Wade as I was getting off, as well as someone else who I forgot (sorry!).  We have to plan these meetups better!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
I believe the PVCs replaced the previous height rulers because they don't become loose and get out of adjustment with wear and tear. The new poles are color coded to the height wristbands. Green is 54'', orange is 48'' and red is 44''. I believe blue is 42'' and yellow is 36''.

Expect '04 - '06 operations for a while. Only so many people come back as rehires and there are lots of new employees.

Remember, reriding is allowed. If you are denied, just get the employees name and go to GR. It's the only way the issue will be addressed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:19:41 PM by darkridedan »
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
Reriding as in getting up and going into the queue again or rerides as in not having to get up?

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »
You don't have to get up if nobody is waiting for your row or if you find an empty seat, you can ride again. The no reride rule was in place for a time in 2007 and was lifted last year.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
Alright sounds good for Friday then. ;)

Offline coastermom

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
I always get the parent pass first at GR just incase . We didn't even use it on Saturday as non of the big rides ( over 54 inches ) were even open for us to use it for . Only GASM and there was NO line up there so we didn't use it but had it for a just in case kind of thing.

WOW if I knew it was you Bubba I would have said HI . We were next to ride and you looked like you were in some serious pain . Was it us or did Toro feel slower this opening day ? I am thinking maybe it was the wind though . My Hubby kept saying it felt slower .

Looking forward to another visit this weekend sometime maybe Friday or Saturday depending on the weather . Wish I could go Thursday but we will see .

Offline me23

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 03:33:14 PM »
wait are the tree houses there

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »
Waiting...

The tree houses are there. The flat rides in Balins no longer have height or name signs.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
if i go this friday during the day will there be long lines? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ::)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
I wouldn't anticipate any long lines.  I'm hoping my hunch is correct since I have Friday off and will enjoy seeing TMs guessing if I'm on the clock or not, lol. I just want my lap on Nitro!

Offline griff88

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
i will be glad come easter cause im going i have a season pass and noone is gonna stop me i getting front row on kingda ka and somewhere on nitro i missed them over the off season