Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Next Ride To Go?  (Read 69095 times)

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
Next Ride To Go?
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
I know this is way out of this season but what roller coaster do you think will be gone next?

Scream machine is my guess
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:36:07 AM by nitrorox1414 »

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
Re: Next Ride To Go?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:06 PM »
LOL. I'll leave this be. ;)
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »
I'm picturing Dan's face turning bright red with steam coming out of his ears LOL

If were talking major rides, I may have to agree.

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »
If it wasn't for Bizarro, I would believe Medusa...

But most likely Fling

Coaster Count: 255

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:44:22 AM »
LOL. I'll leave this be. ;)
Me too, I don't wanna wish any of them away. Scream Machine isn't going anywhere soon. Its reliable and its a staple of the park and our first ride that really put Great Adventure on the map.

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
I say we wait for good old mr.spider of doom. But in my opinion i think Blackbeard or Buccaneer. Both seem to be wearing down alot without much care being taken to help fix them up.

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »
I hope it is not either one kingdakafan as both are good ride for littler guests to ride . One thing that SFGADV is missing is flat rides and smaller rides for the middle height range kids . Which happen to ride both of the rides you mentioned . I say get rid of nothing and add more flats .

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »
I personally don't want these rides to go, but they are getting pretty run down. But I agree, they do need more flats. Preferably a water ride.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »
"Usually" what does in a ride is the cost of maintaining it. Popularity probably comes in second. Gasm is in both realms unfortunately.

With that said, as far as coasters go, I could also see superman going. It would be a very easy ride to rip out and relocate.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »
Like Dainan, I was counting Medusa out for a while. I'm still not counting Houdini, Musik Express and Autobahn down for the count.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »
Scream Machine isn't going anywhere soon. Its reliable and its a staple of the park and our first ride that really put Great Adventure on the map.

Tell that to Great America. ;)

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »
It seems superman breaks alot this season. Opening day it broke on the lift till 2nd day. I got stuck on it saturday when the ride ended and it came back to the station and wouldn't swing back down.. I think it had similar issues the other weekends I was there too. I'd rather they rip out GASM since it's been unpopular for years. Same with Rolling Thunder. I don't go on either enough to see them break down though since they both give me headaches after a couple rides in a row. I think GASM takes up enough empty space to put new coaster and a few flat rides. Rolling Thunder would probably cost to much to take apart.

Offline Railer

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
  I hope they don't get rid of Rolling Thunder, it is a Classic Racer and there are not too many of them left in the World. I would love to see new Train's and a Re-Tracking, and the with Park's recent mindset of restoring the Classic's, I could see it happening. And how would El-Toro be without Rolling Thunder to cross over? Scream Machine I could see being sold for Scrap, and that is Prime Real Estate in the Park, it is a very visible spot and anything new there would be a big draw.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
Rolling thunder isn't going anywhere. I agree. At this point I could see it getting more of a REAL rehab rather than being ripped out.

Gasm has a lot of constant work that costs far more to keep up with than RT.

Now how about Sky Ride?  I'm honestly extremely surprised they still have it!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »
Yeah, the Skyride is the real shocker. Hardly any parks still have them and Great Adventure isn't exactly the one you'd expect to still have one. Even Disney got rid of theirs for crying out loud.

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
I personally love gasm, it was the first looping coaster I went on. Sure, it has its downsides (being bumpy) but it is still a great ride. You can't beat those double loops!

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »
I think that rolling thunder should go back to raceing and never mind that make one side go backwards again . NOW that alone would draw me in to ride it a lot more then I do now .

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
I had a question about rolling thunder, maybe someone can answer. When it was new in the 70s/80s, did it make that same high pitched scraping whine noise when it turns out of the station to the lift hill and when it does the last turn into the station? The high pitch sound toward the end of last season was my only problem with the ride, I'm cool with shaking and how it feels like it flies off the tracks.

GASM takes up a lot of perfectly usable land since nothing can was inside it’s area. I wondered why it was still there. I didn't know it's history till this year.. Most outsiders that go to SFGA probably don't know it's history either. GASM Rehab such as new trains, paint and brakes might be enough to revive it. It’s the only ride I must lean my head forward the entire time and stop riding after a couple because my head hurts for the rest of the day.

Offline Railer

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:34 PM »
  Rolling Thunder Raced just about all last Season during the "Peak" month's. It will again this Season around the end of June until the end of August. It always made the "squealing" sound at the turn around before the Brake Run, but it has gotten worse the last few years.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:30 PM »
Rt has done that for as long as I can remember. For various reasons, they do not lubricate the track which is partly why this happens. Honestly, that doesn't bother me anywhere close to as much as the seatbelts.

IMO, Gasm was as good as gone had they built the hotel expansion in what was the season pass parking lot. That area was "supposed" to be completely different ... Think animal kingdom lodge, and I think gasm would have been in the way for a wide array of reasons. I'm sad the hotel wasn't built but I'm happy gasm is still here as its one of my favorites. Plus, I think they lucked out by noy building the hotel anyway with the current economy. 

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 02:26:54 AM »
 It's funny to look at but on the plans they drew Kingda Ka, Supes and Rolling Thunder, but left out Gasm. However it still says Existing GASM and it sits inside the fence line. So who knows if it really would have stayed or not. The pool area would have been fun to watch Kingda ka launch.

I would also have to agree a little, that a 500 room hotel would have been tough to sell out every day. It was a pretty design tho.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »
Hey Jimmy, welcome to the site. Here's a video of Rolling Thunder racing in 1984. Although I don't condone on-ride videos or photography, this is of historical significance. It shows Coaster 2 (left side) going backwards, aka Rednuht Gnillor. You'll see Sarajevo Bobsled if you don't blink and a few other rides that were at some point, the next to go.  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLSHl0uUw9w#noexternalembed=1

RT will screech from time to time on a dry, hot day like all woodies. This one has a prolonged screech because of the lack of lubrication anywhere on the track. The ride uses an older style of brake that relies on friction for the trains come to a safe stop and any moisture on the track can prevent the trains from properly stopping in the station. (They love us when we mention this.) ;) There is also an environmental impact.

Older coasters rarely have problems as they don't have much in the lines of technology or much that could go wrong.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:26:22 PM by darkridedan »
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
I had a question about rolling thunder, maybe someone can answer. When it was new in the 70s/80s, did it make that same high pitched scraping whine noise when it turns out of the station to the lift hill and when it does the last turn into the station? The high pitch sound toward the end of last season was my only problem with the ride, I'm cool with shaking and how it feels like it flies off the tracks.

GASM takes up a lot of perfectly usable land since nothing can was inside it’s area. I wondered why it was still there. I didn't know it's history till this year.. Most outsiders that go to SFGA probably don't know it's history either. GASM Rehab such as new trains, paint and brakes might be enough to revive it. It’s the only ride I must lean my head forward the entire time and stop riding after a couple because my head hurts for the rest of the day.
Didn't they put on new axles and wheels along with some sort of suspension for last season?

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »
The music in the Rolling Thunder video made me feel like I was either in a shopping mall or watching a Chris Isaac video.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 12:33:11 AM »
^ lol. I'm putting in the Isaac c.d. tonight and thinking of you your post   ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:45:48 AM by darkridedan »
ROLLING THUNDER