Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: The Day of Reckoning Has Arrived  (Read 1499 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
The Day of Reckoning Has Arrived
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »

TRENTON (AP) — Federal wildlife officials have begun plucking Canada geese from New Jersey parks, golf courses and areas near airports in a weeks-long roundup that could end in the killing of thousands of birds.

The state has 80,000 resident Canada geese, about twice the density that wildlife officials consider manageable.

U.S. Department of Agriculture spokeswoman Carol Bannerman confirmed the “capture and removal program” is under way and will last about six weeks. The geese will be molting — or shedding their feathers — during the time and will be unable to fly.

She said local Canada geese will be corralled from 20 locations in nine counties. All are places where the landowner has complained and asked for the birds to be removed.

“We only go to areas where we’ve been asked to come and do the work,” she said.

A similar program is under way in New York City, which plans to trap and gas as many as 2,000 Canada geese over the next few weeks in an attempt to avoid the type of collision that caused an airliner to ditch in the Hudson River in January.

U.S. Airways Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport when it smacked into a flock and lost both engines. Pilot Chesley Sullenberger became a national hero when he set the plane down safely in the river.

The episode brought attention to the hazard that birds can pose to aircraft. Some 40 public parks within five miles of Kennedy and LaGuardia airports will be swept free of geese.

Bannerman said several of the removal sites in New Jersey are within eight miles of an airport.

A single bird excretes about a half-pound of feces daily, Bannerman said, rendering some public parks unusable.

A removal program last year rid the state of fewer than 2,000 birds, she said.

Other population control methods include coating geese eggs with oil, which keeps them from hatching. About 2,000 eggs were treated with oil this spring, she said.

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife issued permits for the operation but isn’t otherwise involved, Environmental Protection spokeswoman Darlene Yuhas said.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Re: The Day of Reckoning Has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »
The Trashtonian is the dumbest paper I have ever seen in my life.

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »
Finally!!! I am so tired of these damn birds EVERYWHERE!

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
Haha I didn't even see when I read this the first time that it's a federal operation. Wow. Nice.

It's a great article but kind of sadistic at the same time. Treat the eggs with oil? Get them while they can't fly? Amazingly nasty lol

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
They've overpopulated because of human intervention.  They no longer migrate because they can eat fresh grass all year because of all the fertilizer used on lawns. Since they can eat well all year, they've been having more goslings. Humans made this problem and now they have to fix it.  At least they're killing them humanely.