Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: In Memory of Steve Urbanowicz..  (Read 6154 times)

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
In Memory of Steve Urbanowicz..
« on: October 31, 2005, 09:18:34 AM »
Dear friends and Gadv fans,

It is with deepest regret and sorrow that I pass on the news that a park Icon and perhaps, the biggest fan and supporter has passed away. For those of us fortunate enough to have met Steve Urbanowicz and, spend time with him, there are no words or feelings to express how great this loss is. Let's all remember to take one ride On Nitro (His screenname was NitroChiller for a reason!) and think of him when it is possible to get that memorial ride.

I was one of those fortunate enough to laugh, Skip and, ride beside him. I was also able to hear some of his wonderful stories about the park and, his enthuisiast experiences. I will be creating a memorial page in his honor. Your gone but, never forgotten Steve, may you rest in peace and I will NEVER forget how wonderful you were! I'll totally miss you!

Offline innervision

• VIP
  • Nitro
  • Holy atomic pile, Batman!
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:19:06 AM »
An icon can say it all.

:cry:

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:30:25 AM »
It absolutely crushes me that he will not be here to ride El Torro next season. All this time for the park to get a new wooden coaster and he won't be here to bask in the glory of it with me :cry:  I will certainly dedicate my first El Torro ride to him and, I feel honored that I took his very last ride on his favorite Gadv coaster Chiller Batman with him. I will never ride Chiller B again just to hang on to that honor and memory.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:04:38 AM »
I heard about this on ThrillNetwork and was like "What?"  I didn't know he was only in his 40's either.  That's just too young to die.  I never really got to know him, but I respected him as a really cool guy on the boards.

Rest in Peace Steve.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »
If you knew how to take him, he was an awesome person. Steve and I became very tight over the last two years and I kid you not, it will be really hard for me to go to the park tonight without crying when I think that exactly one year ago we were having dinner at the park one second and the next, rushing to ride the just opened Chiller Batman that had been up and down all day.

We ended closing day last year with 5 of the very last Chiller Batman launches. I will never forget it or, him. Chiller Batman was his favorite and I'll never forget his face of excitement when we sat in the parking lot (Waiting for the masses to leave) just talking for two hours about how great the day was. He would not leave Until I was safely leaving the park along with him. I'll miss him so much. This hurts because not only was he a park buddy, he was an excellent friend who meant alot to me.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 11:30:15 AM »
As I have never meet Steve, I have read his book and conversed on line with him. He will be truly missed in the coaster community.  Di, Friends and Family, I'm very sorry to hear about you're loss and wish you my condolences.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:55:37 PM »
You know, now I am really concerned something has happened to Rob/Nitro_230 to. For him to not speak up at this time is extremely strange. Steve is ultimately responsible for the park recognizing Central as it's go to fansite. Steve supported Central with every ounce of his being and if you visit his website it is the only fansite he even links people to. I hope nothing bad has happened to Rob, we just haven't heard from him in a really long time as if he has vanished! Wade? Comments?

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 03:50:47 PM »
I just want to say he was an awesome guy to chat with on the boards and I was lucky to talk to him for a few times and I always wanted to meet him.

Rest in Peace Steve...

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 03:58:40 PM »
I have no idea what happened to Rob.  Hopefully he is in good health and safe but at this point, I have no idea.

It would be nice to know so that Central could annouce the winner of the Scavenger Hunt  :roll:

I agree though Di, I'm a bit concerned as to what happened to him.

Offline Deadman

• Carousel
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but he seemed like a great guy on the various boards I have posted on with him. Rest in peace :(

As for Rob, I have been wondering the same thing, I hope he is ok.
is back? in black?

Offline gadvrider2

• Koala Canyon
    • http://Gainsider.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 09:36:24 PM »
It saddens me to see a member of the coaster familly to die. HOwever, i never once spoke with him in person or on the boards. He really does sound like a great all around person.  He may be gone but surely never forgotten.

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 04:01:54 PM »
I am not sure I can really add anything to what has already been said, so here are a few shots of Steve having a good time:

He was a great man, passonite for Great Adventure, and will be sadly missed by all that knew him.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!