Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Holiwood Nights  (Read 18627 times)

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Re: Holiwood Nights
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 01:21:28 AM »
It's usually a couple of attractions. Not the entire rhing

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
Is Santa's Lodge a Holiday World Hotel. Could you walk from the park?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
It's not affiliated with the park (no hotel nor campground is). Yes, it's within walking distance, as is the Lake Rudolf campground.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
Uh, if you say so.  Phil Koch and his sister, Kristi George, of the Koch family, run the Lake Rudolph Campground.

It is the OFFICIAL campground of Holiday World and Splashing Safari.

http://www.lakerudolph.com/default.cfm?page=htm/lakerudolph.htm

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »
Last I heard, it was a separate company unaffiliated with Holiday World. That was told to me by someone at HW guest relations a few years ago.

But yeah, your link seems to contradict that pretty well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:45:21 PM by AV Matt »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 07:10:45 PM »
It's probably a friendly partnership, then and again, money probably would be involved, a lot of partnerships that involve "the official *insert object here* of..." use up a good bit of green.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
Uh, the Kochs are a very close knit family.  The person in GR was simply not correct.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »
Check and Mate. Your replies have lost HARD Core status Matt.
I feel like a little kid finding out there is no santa claus.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »
L O L

Way to go, Wow.;)

I should have asked Will, I guess.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 01:21:03 AM »
Lmao. That's awesome.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 11:40:50 PM »
Does Kings island operate the thursday before Holiwood Nights? Also would KI close at 8 or 10 on the sunday? Keep in mind its a sunday during school. I'm thinking starlight for first ever go on beast ect. But if it closes at 8 probably not.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 07:24:46 AM »
Kings Island's calendar has not yet been announced.  Given Cedar Fair's financial condition, there can be no assumption what that calendar will provide until it is released. 

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
I guess weekdays in June are kind of "iffy"

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »
The majority of theme parks to full time in May. I would say June should be safe.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 12:26:21 AM »
I was going to join coasterbuzz to get my membership for holiwood nights. Any better clubs? I was going to join coasterfanatics but it doesn't appear Canadians are able to join.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
'Buzz is about your cheapest option. Just don't expect any genuine gratitude from Jeff Putz (the guy behind the club).

I'm no longer a card-carrying member of any official club. It's just not worth it to me after 20 years with ACE and the proliferation of the Roller Coaster Internet. The news letters and magazines aren't worth the money to me anymore. I know enough people, I can always find a sponsor to get into an event now and I'm happy to pay extra for being a guest if I choose to go to a special event.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 06:05:35 AM »
Does Kings island operate the thursday before Holiwood Nights? Also would KI close at 8 or 10 on the sunday? Keep in mind its a sunday during school. I'm thinking starlight for first ever go on beast ect. But if it closes at 8 probably not.

You probably noticed my post pointing out KI's calendar is now out.  Open til 8 the Thursday before, til 10 the Sunday after:

http://mobile.visitkingsisland.com/public/visit/schedule/

Keep checking, though.  They sometimes change the calendar...and the park itself may or may not change ownership before then, which could result in further changes.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
^ Yea I noticed the scheduale. Thanks for the heads up. I was pretty pumped to find out they are open until 8 the thursday before holiwood nights. I may still take the sunday after but I'm guessing crowds will be much greater.

Off topic a little but do you need membership for PPP? I'm guessing you don't but I want to make sure Coasterbuzz is cool for that too so I don't have to end up joining two.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »
PPP is a public event. No coaster club affiliation is required. Same price for everyone.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »
I've decided that i'm hitting up KI either the thursday before Holiwood Nights, or the Sunday after. I have also decided that my first beast ride ever I will be saving until darkness. After many suggestions to do so.

My questions are..
#1 Do you all agree that your first beast ride should be at night? Keep in mind I'm a HUGE night ride person.
#2 Thursday they close at 8 and  sunday at 10. Will it be dark enough from 7-8 in early june to get dark rides on thursday? As well as will it be dead enough to get more than 1 or 2 rides?
#3 I've been hearing over and over the best spot to sit on the beast is front seat. I'm a huge back seat guy. Whats better?

Thanks for the help.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »
Oh, boy...a question I am well qualified to answer.

First of all, Beast is a night ride.  It gets very long lines, particularly once it gets dark.  No, it will NOT be dark enough at 8 in June...it doesn't get really dark until 9 or so...

And it certainly will not be dead on a weekend in June.  Sorry, but I suspect you'd rather hear the truth than a tale.

As for where?  I love the back (and once rode it with Steve Urbanowicz 25+ times in the very back seat).  I also love the front.  If you have never ridden the Beast, and do wait til after dark, I'd recommend the back.  The whole point of the front is the smoothness and to see where you are going.  Neither is all that important after dark.

GADVwow...old enough to now be found in the next to last seat, thank you very much!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
^ Even though it's school months it will be busy... the Thursday as well? What kind of waits are we talking here? Granted nobody knows from one day to the next for sure. Just approximates.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:56 AM »
I didn't say it would be busy Thursday night...and that is NOT a school night.  Ohio is not New Jersey.  I did say it would not be dark enough to call it a dark ride on Thursday night at 8.  Not even close. 

The biggest factor on waits is weather.  If it is not raining cats and dogs, Thursday near close should be a 20-30 minute wait, but could be less.  Just an hour or two earlier will be a near walk on, if it is a typical day.

If it is raining, even a little, it's Cedar Fair.  They will probably close the coaster...or go down to one train operation!

Sunday will be less busy during the day, but not near closing at the Beast.  Beast ALWAYS gets a long line near closing time as everyone local who wants to ride it wants to ride it after dark.  The ride also closes during the fireworks, which Kings Island, at least in past years, has every night that the park closes at 10.  It reopens thereafter, but closes with the park.  If you are in line, they will let you ride, but maybe not in the seat of your choice if you are in the very last trains.

How long will the wait be?  Remember, a LOT of the people who go to Holiwood nights are locals.  Many of them will go to Kings Island after HN.  And guess what they will be doing?  Do I need to tell you?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »

I love the Beast  I know it would be 100% better/faster/rougher without the trim brakes but a fun ride.

Why limit yourself to one ride  when I was there I rode the front a few times the back a few times the middle both day and night
yes the late day/night rides are better/faster but why wait just get there early.

Also Just join ACE as a member you get in Kings island for around $25 or so and you get to be the first riders of the day on the beast plus ACE gets you other park benefits and Local events at discounts and many events in the NJ/PA/VA  region.
In 2009 NJ ACE reps. had many events including EL Toro with Food Fun and ERT
ACE just had one this past Saturday.

I wouldn't send my $ to Jeff Putz at Coasterbuz  but that's my opinion
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
Beast was good in the front, definitely was better back in the old days though.