Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Holiwood Nights  (Read 18622 times)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Holiwood Nights
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »
Beast is still awesome in total darkness, front or back.

I wouldn't wait for your first ride to be at night. I would get there early and make sure you get at least one ride in as soon as you can in case something happens later keeping you from getting your first ride. I've had  bad luck with break-downs on The Beast. Go for a front seat ride in the daytime and a backseat ride at night at a minimum.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »
Good advice all.

How is thursday in early june not a school night? do you guys have a drastically different school schedule than we do that I am not aware of? School goes until late June around here.

Is joining ACE similar to CoasterBuzz? How much $$
I'm guessing its different in alot of ways. Keep in mind I'm only joining a group to get in HN.

This Beast thing has me flustered. I want to go thurs but there won't be dark rides. I don't want to go sunday cuz KI is anticlimatic to HN, and to my no enthusiast family the beast is going to suck to them after 100 rides on the voyage. I'll have to defend it for a 7 hr car ride.

In related discussion has anyone read the beast review on coaster philosophy? It's long but interesting. Especially from someone who's never ridden it.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
Ohio schools are usually out by Memorial Day.  They start LONG before Labor Day, though.  See KI's calendar!

There is no longer, to my knowledge, an ACE discount to Kings Island.  Hasn't been the last year or so. 

ACE no longer has a special walkback to Beast, either...though its members are free to join Platinum and Gold Pass riders to early ride time on days when the park offers it, to Diamondback and Beast.  That was last year.  This year?  No one is even sure who will own the park, much less what the privileges will be.

And on a Thursday in June when the park closes at 8, there will be no night rides on Beast.  Of that, I am certain.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »
Just take your last ride of the "day" with your eyes closed and you'll get the idea. ;)

I love the Beast all day, but probably because I know what it's like at night and can appreciate it more than a lot of nay-sayers. Ask Bubba. He's a believer now.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
I'm really hoping to make it this year and it would rock even more to re-visit the Beast. I wasn't overly impressed with my day ride mid-train so I need to be made a believer as well.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »
I have a bit of a night ride trick. It works great especially around 8:30. Wear dark sunglasses. It makes dusk rides dark, and dark rides frightening. The first time I ever forgot to take off my sun glasses was my first ever night ride on twister. It was like a runaway freight train. It was my number 1 until the next year when I warmed up alot more to the phoenix, and then two days later on el toro.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »
One night ride made Bubba a believer. :)

If you don't get a dark ride, a dense fog evening ride is the next best thing!

And if you don't like "roughness", sit between the wheels in a middle seat in any car of the train, but go for the back if you really want to feel the POWER of the Beast. :)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »
Dark rides look like they're out for me. The piss-off of the whole thing is the thursday before HN it closes at 8, and just the following weeks thurday it close at 10. Just my luck.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
Nice job hitting the censor lol

The thing is, it's the changes in the air and many other factors that make late night rides even better. My best rides ever on Toro were at midnight. So I'm not sure just having it being dark by 8:30 would make that big of a difference. It seems like the repeated rides that keep the wheels hot at these events along with the weather changes after being dark for a while are what do it (like the dew that starts forming, etc).

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
The way the Beast is blocked and how long the ride is, there really isn't much improvement to be made on dispatching trains faster for enthusiasts so you don't get that benefit from ERT of keeping the grease extra warm. The later the better and I agree about the cool night air being a factor in the overall sensory experience, but just being surrounded in darkness out in the woods makes a huge difference on this ride.

Just get the best ride you can while you can and look forward to future visits in total darkness. Unfortunately it's hard to get more than one true night ride in the same day as line tends to get busy like Wow mentioned.

A couple of my friends live close to the park and they will run to the park on a rainy evening just to get a good night ride whenever they can. Lucky punks.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
I'd still rather have a great adventure on Rolling Thunder or El Toro or even . . . well, not Superman...I won't go that far...

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
My bad about the sensor. It's a sensative one apparently.

I'm only a half hour from CW and we often leave at 8:30 just to do the vortex, behemoth night ride sesh.

I think doing what you said matt is what I am going to have to do. It's sucks though, I always like to ride a great ride the first time the RIGTH way. but it's not like i'm going to drive 10-11 hours to HW and not stop at KI which is almost literally on the way. Maybe I will do the sunday thing, but then its like you said it could break down mid-day and then what? Thanks for all the imput. I'm just gonna play it by ear. I just found out today I have 2 exam scheduales to deal with now too.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Hope you get a good ride either way. I love the Beast (and Kings Island). Hopefully I can manage a stop there this season as well. HoliWood NIghts is on my itinerary for sure.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
I'm on the fence now about HWN. Finances are a major issue apparently.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
Stop partying.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »
what's wrong with partying when it's on someone elses expense?

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
what's wrong with partying when it's on someone elses expense?

Trust me, if you knew my situation, you'd understand why he'd say that

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2010, 02:13:50 AM »
I wish I could go!

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
Maybe Joe will offer his bus service to this event too!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »
I think I'll be flying this trip.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
matt let me know when you are going to buy your tickets!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
The Magic Bus is an option.  Only problem is.... it's Orange and only seats four.  Let me know!!!   As I will be going to SFKK again to try for my Greeezzzzed credit.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »
I'm in for the orange magic school bus!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 12:54:48 AM »
I'm probably going to follow the yellow brick road. Or maybe I-75.