Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Six Flags Not Just Coasting  (Read 2021 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Six Flags Not Just Coasting
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:47 AM »
A VERY interesting article that deserves a full read. 

..."These park groups have bastardized the front gates with discounts," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, a consulting firm. "The last two years the discounts have been deeper and longer and have started earlier for the entire industry."

Shapiro has remade Six Flags into a more wholesome, family-oriented entertainment experience, rather than relying on ever bigger and more expensive roller coasters to draw thrill-seeking teens. He has cleaned up the parks, bolstered security and improved customer service....

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/six_flags_not_just_coasting_SymQ83lfdX8RuRP0sO1oQJ

Perhaps if the gate price were more realistic, in park pricing could come down some and more profits could be generated all around, the better to pay off debt service.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Re: Six Flags Not Just Coasting
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
I've always been of the opinion that entry prices for daily tickets should be ~$30, at every park across the chain. No discounts, definitely not buy one get one free anyway. And then have the season passes at $90+.

Reason being, if you go there and you see a daily pass for $50 and a season pass for $80 or $90.. a lot of people are just going to buy the season pass. And how much does that get the park in the long run? Back in 2005 I went to the park over 30 times and spent MAYBE $50 there the entire season. Maybe.

Whereas if someone is tight on money and goes to the park and sees daily passes for $30 and season passes for $90 (or more), they would go "a season pass is nice.. but I'm not sure if I can afford it... maybe next time" and buy the daily. And maybe buy it again when they come back.

I don't know, it makes sense in my head.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
It makes perfect sense. That's the Cedar Fair way. I believe they still have BOGO on Pepsi product cans though.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:39:51 AM »
Uh, that WAS the Cedar Fair way...until they bought Paramount Parks.  Now, Kings Dominion is more than fifty bucks at the gate, but discounts abound...from local grocery stores to buying tickets on line to Coke cans...(Kings Dominion, like the rest of the former Paramount Parks, has Coke, not Pepsi...).

Meanwhile, in park pricing has gone through the roof.  People remember $4 Cokes, and the next time they bring a cooler...or they just leave the park to eat.