Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: New Leadership at Six Flags - Shapiro Out  (Read 2325 times)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
New Leadership at Six Flags - Shapiro Out
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
Huh. In a surprising turn of events it appears that Mark Shapiro is no longer with Six Flags, and Al Weber, former president and CEO of Paramount Parks, has been named President and Interim CEO of Six Flags while the company searches for a permanent replacement.

You can read the full article here.

I'm not sure what happened, and we might never know. The last everyone heard Shapiro was staying with the company after it came out of bankruptcy. We don't know if he left on his own or was urged out.

We do wish Mark Shapiro the best of luck wherever he ends up, and will miss him - he did a great job with the parks in the past few years, and I know he was seen a lot at Great Adventure checking everything out.

We only hope that the new CEO can be half as good!

Update: Here is a press release from Six Flags

Link posted by AV Matt. Article written by Jerry
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:29:32 PM by jglonek »

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: New Leadership at Six Flags - Shapiro Out
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
I wonder if this will have any effects on our park and if we will see changes in the parks . I really enjoyed speaking to Shapiro and found him to be generaly intrested in what people had to say . I just hope the new guy is just as good as Shapiro and I hope he has the best of luck in what ever he does next .

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
He is an interim CEO so I would imagine it will be more or less "stay the course".  The Paramount Parks were run fairly well and I am expecting things to transition smoothly.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
..."Mark had a very strong vision for that company and taking it forward," said theme park consultant Dennis Speigel. "I have to believe that he wouldn't leave unless he came to a disagreement with the board."...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1219047320100512

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »
I have to agree with that. However, as GAcoaster pointed out, were in good hands... For now at least. Paramount parks actually were run very well until Cedar Fair came around.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
I find it very interesting that Six Flags Entertainment Corporation did NOT announce that Mark Shapiro left to pursue other opportunities...the pretense normally announced by the departed company.  Perhaps a reason for this?  Q?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:54:07 PM »

A source who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter said Shapiro and the theme park's new owners did not agree on an operational strategy for the company moving forward.

Snyder and Shapiro, a former ESPN executive, had sought to create a more family-friendly atmosphere at Six Flags by adding attractions while forging partnerships with sponsors such as Sara Lee and Chase Card Services.

Entertainment sources, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said Shapiro maintains a close relationship with Snyder and will continue to oversee Dick Clark Productions, the television home of the Golden Globe Awards, the Academy of Country Music Awards and "American Bandstand." Red Zone Capital, Snyder's private equity firm, bought Dick Clark Productions in 2007 for $175 million in hopes of incorporating its features in Six Flags parks....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/12/AR2010051204916.html?hpid=sec-business