Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Sony Buys Movie Rights To Rollercoaster Tycoon  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
Sony Buys Movie Rights To Rollercoaster Tycoon
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
If you need evidence of the creative bankruptcy of modern Hollywood, look no further than this: Sony has purchased the movie rights to video game Rollercoaster Tycoon in the hopes of turning it into a major motion picture. David Ronn and Jay Scherick, who wrote the Kevin James comedy The Zookeeper, will write what will be a live-action/CGI hybrid. I guess for kids.

I want you to think about that for a second: Grown men and women sat in well-appointed conference rooms and discussed this. They drove to the conference rooms in expensive cars. They were probably wearing suits at the time. Someone said something like, "You know what kids love? Roller coasters. And Tycoons."

"I see this as more than a physical roller coaster," he added. "I see it as an emotional roller coaster. Imagine Willy Wonka meets There Will Be Blood."

Eventually, a lot of money changed hands.

The writers are now working to get to the true emotional core of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games. Why is the titular main character so obsessed with thrill rides? What drives him? Who best to portray the unique mixture of whimsy and ruthlessness of a true tycoon of thrill park rides? I vote for Gene Hackman.

If this actually goes forward, some of the most talented artists and animators of our generation will spend months slaving over the look and feel of Rollercoaster Tycoon: The Movie.

All of the people who think Rollercoaster Tycoon: The Movie is a great idea live in very nice houses, by the way.

Source: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704657/sony-buys-movie-rights-to-rollercoaster-tycoon-.html

Apparently no one can come up with anything original...

It is also on imdb.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655434/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:51:47 AM by Steve »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Sony Buys Movie Rights To Rollercoaster Tycoon
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
It's not so much the originality, but rather a huge cross-marketing opportunity. They could potentially rake in the dough with this if it doesn't completely suck.

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
Is it going to be in theaters?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:29 AM »
I HIGHLY doubt it.