Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Hershey Park  (Read 7530 times)

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
Hershey Park
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
Im going to Hershey Park on thursday. What are some rides to go on. What are some rides not to go on. What will the lines be like

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Re: Hershey Park
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
The lines will be as long as they are :)

My advice, go on everything, enjoy yourself, and just relax.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
...and don't miss Chocolate World...next door, it's free and well worth the time...if you have any interest in how chocolate candy is made.

Also ZooAmerica is quite nice.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »
Storm Runner, and Lightning racers should be your dark rides... Lines aren't usually too long. I'd bet 20 min for SR. Possibly 30 for Farenheit. The 2 wood towards the back usually have short lines. I recomend the monorail myself. Also the wild mouse is one of the best around.

The pulled pork is very good. It's in the bbq section near trail blazer.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »
Do Comet later in the day. It's the first coaster families come to as they enter the park and it tends to have a long line which moves slowly due to bad operations.

If you get there at opening you can enjoy several rides on Storm Runner without a wait. Even if you go to Fahrenheit first to get a lap before the line gets long (which it will), you should still get several laps on Stormy without much waiting.

If you want to ride the water coaster, it closes with the waterpark and gets a long line so go there early or just before it closes at around 8pm. In general I'd suggest you head toward Midway America stopping at Stormy and Fahrenheit along the way and then work your way over to Great Bear, Sooper Dooper Looper and Comet then loop around as you wish.

The Chocolate Factory dark ride at Chocolate World is kinda fun and you get free chocolate at the end. It's like an EPCOT-style educational ride.

The Coal Cracker flume by Great Bear is not to be missed! Some good airtime on the bunny hop (it's an Arrow Hydro Flume).

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
Is great bear a good ride? How about Farenhiet? And what side on lightning Racers is better?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:53:24 PM by nitrorox1414 »

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
Have fun, and enjoy the Chocalate World as soon as it opens, there's free chocolate at the end, and the song is that the cows sing is catchy.
Get as quickly as possible to stormrunner as soon as the park opens, the entrance and exit is hidden behind the station (it seemed weird to me) You can keep getting back on it several times in a row as this will be the shortest the line will ever be. This is probably the "most intense" ride there, very popular but it's a very short ride and you'll probably wish it was longer.
Fahrenheit, I did it at night, it's a lengthy wait regardless of time, no where as intense Gs as Stormrunner but also their most popular.
2 wooden coasters in back of the park, very short lines and not very popular, but still decent rides. Other than that, just cover as much as you can, Comet seemed like their most popular wood since it's their best, But the racer was decent.

I recommend that you check out the hershey park mobile website, they will list their "popular" rides, and when is best to go, I found it pretty accurate.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 07:22:14 PM »
Both sides of Lightning Racer are virtually identical. Both have all of the same elements in the same order, they are just offset and mirrored to create the flybys/racing/dueling moments.

Great Bear is one of the best B&Ms around.

Fahrenheit has grown on me quite a lot. I used to not care much for it, but now I find it pretty darn fun. Storm Runner is still the best ride in the park though.

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
I thought Talon was one of the bests compared to Great Bear, Great Bear seemed to be lacking on the ending as it just stayed straight for the last 20 seconds wheras Talon drops then goes back up into the brake run. I could definitely see Fahrenheit growing on me with time, it was a fun ride, as well as stormrunner, but they seemed too short in time.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »
^^ You once said Farenheit was the 7th best coaster at hershey.

I liked Talon better than great bear... I've since been back on great bear, but not talon. GB grew on me alot, the only thing I don't like is it's an element or 2 too short.

I forgot about coal cracker. Great flume!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
I know! I used to really not think too highly of Fahrenheit. It's really grown on me this year. I guess I'm getting bored with coasters or something.

The only thing I would change about Great Bear is making the slow S-Curve to the brakes dip down to the water to give it some oomph. Otherwise I think it's awesome how it flies along the river. Talon has become one of my all-time favorite steel coasters, so I'd probably give it the edge, but I prefer Great Bear to most other inverts including Batman (all of them), Alpengeist and Raptor.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »
The flume is not to be missed.  AVMatt and I got scary ejector air after the big drop last June.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »
If you are going for the water park, get there as early as possible since those lines fill up fast. Otherwise, shouldn't be too horrendous. I went over memorial day weekend and it was actually enjoyable.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:03 AM »
Get kettle corn as well. Preferably at the end of the night, by the entrance, where it's made fresh.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »
Weather.com says it will Have scatterd T-storms all throughout the day.

Will any of the rides close?

Is it worth going 1 1/2 hours up there?

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 06:09:28 AM »
Scattered thunderstorms is usually better than a sunny day.  Unless you happen to be going to disneyworld. Just realize that many kidz did just get released from school too!  And how often is the weatherman right?  Enjoy your trip.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »
if there a scatterd storms will the rides close?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »
If there is lightning in the area, absolutely. Or if there is a strong chance of lightning, absolutely. On my last visit, there was no sign of lightning, but it started raining (very lightly) at around 8pm and they closed all of the coasters in the park. My only guess is that they had reason to believe there was a good chance of lightning.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »
Alright here is my trip report from Thursday.

We arrived at the park at 11:30. (We left at 8:30) We parked and headed to chocolate world. I have to say, seeing how chocolate is made is really cool. now it was 12 and we were ready to party

We got in the park and headed to Great Bear. the line was in the station. We got on the third row. One thing i did not like about it was the circle before the drop but overall a pretty good ride. i would rate this a 6/10

Next we went to Comet. Once again there was a walk on line. me and my friend went on the 2nd to last row. I think the comet is one of my favorite wood coaster. I loved it 7/10

After that we were hungry so we got some food. I'm not sure of the name of it but it was good..... Now this might be one of the craziest things that has happend in my life. as were were eating we noticed some dark clouds. one second it was a sunny. literally in less then a second rain came pouring down and trash cans were sliding across the park. (you would think the they were tied to something)

we were tired of just sitting so we ran to the Reece's cup challenge. I lost  :'(

The rain stopped and we headed over to Fahrenheit. It wasnt open but people were waiting for it to open. i asked the Dude woking there and he said it would open in a half hour. so we waited in line. we saw that all the coasters were testing. but not Fahrenheit. after about ten minuets the rides open....fahrenheit starts testing. The Second car to test got stuck on the lift for about ten minutes. when they finally let people on we waited 5 minutes. got one the thirds row. i would give it a 6/10

After that we got to lightning Racers. I thought it was a fun ride. 7/10 qw also went on Wildcat. that hurt......alot 3/10

after that we headed to Sidewinder and Storm Runner. Sidewinder was awful. 2/10 Strom runner was amzing 9/10

after storm runner we headed to the wild mouse. i thought it was great 7/10.

After that we headed back to Farenhight. we got front seat. it was alot better 8/10 we waited about 10 mins

it was reallly hot so i weent on the BIG log flume. i thought it was fun 5/10. i really liked the huge splash.

after that i went back to Stormy and got front row. the airtime was great. 9/10

We left the park after that and went to the cheese cake factory...

it was a great time noone was there longest we had to wait in line was 10 min

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:05:12 PM by nitrorox1414 »

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
What more do you expect from an all entirely too common vekoma boomerang? I usually bypass a vekoma or arrow boomerang when I see one cuz litterally they are almost everywhere! Ahhhhh its an invasion!!!

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »
An Arrow boomerang?

You thought Wildcat hurt? Wow, you should have tried it when it was good--it hurt a lot more. :D

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »
The bat at CW has an arrow train... Perhaps this information is part of the solution.

The helix at the start of GB is the BEST part of the ride.
If you didn't ride the wild mouse you missed out.
Wildcat no good for me either. Is there a magic seat?
Comet is hit or miss I find.
SR is the best coaster at hershey I think.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 06:04:29 AM »
Yet another TR with no mention of SooperDooperLooper...which is fun to type, and for which I have a special affection...twas so good once upon a time...

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »
I don't care what any of you say, I love Wildcat with the MF trains. That is one of my favorite wooden coasters.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
I personally wasn't impressed w/Wildcat (Only rode after the conversion) or SDL.  Love Storm Runner and Comet and Great Bear, though!