Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: RUMOR: Scream Machine Closing For Good July 1st  (Read 16329 times)

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
Re: RUMOR: Scream Machine Closing For Good July 1st
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 08:21:55 AM »
On property resorts?  Do you mean Great Wolf Lodge at Kings Island, in which CBS held a small (less than 20 percent interest) that Cedar Fair did not acquire?  If not that, what?

I mean exactly that.  Who owned the land that that resort was built on?  Paramount Parks, who joined in with the resort company to build a resort on property.

Regardless of how much a stake they had in the resort, they were starting to experiment with on property resorts.  Not sure what CFEC not acquiring it has to do with much, since they have their own resort brands and likely didn't see a need to buy into a competitor, but again my point stands.  Weber ran Paramount Parks well, added flats and coasters, kept the company's finances in check, and was starting to experiment w/on property hotels.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »
So July 1, it will be closed as of right now according to the rumor? No special celebration send off that day? Looks like I will have to go and take pics after work...

Offline twisterbret

• Balin's Jungleland
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
I've hear the rumors as well. But did anyone read this? :) What do you think that means? :)

Is super coaster coming to Six Flags?

Chicago Daily Herald
L2
English
© 2010 Chicago Daily Herald. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All Rights Reserved. 
A new roller coaster might be in the works for Six Flags Great America.

Officials are expected to appear before the Gurnee village board Monday night to get the necessary approval to erect a roller coaster that features two hills topping a village-imposed 125-foot height restriction. The coaster, which documents show is a stand-up coaster that was at one time operating at another Six Flags theme park, would reach a height of about 150 feet in the initial hill, then climb 137 feet in a second hill. Under village law, anytime Great America wants to build a ride over 125 feet, officials must obtain a special permit to operate the ride.

Jennifer Duggan-Savage, director of communications for Six Flags Great America, said acquiring the permits needed for the ride is only the first step of potentially bringing a new attraction to the theme park, and stressed that a new ride is far from a done deal.

"Going to the zoning board for approval is the very first step in considering expansion for our park," she said. "At this time, we do not have any further information. We are always looking to expand and looking for different avenues to do that."

Six Flags officials wouldnt way where the new coaster would come from. Gurnee Assistant Village Administrator Patrick Muetz said it would be shipped from a now-closed Six Flags park in Kentucky.

Theme park General Manager Hank Salemi said during his appearance before the Gurnee zoning board on May 26 the coaster is a new generation, stand-up roller coaster that was manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard of Switzerland. It would be the fifth B&M coaster at the park, along with Superman: Ultimate Flight and Raging Bull, according to minutes of the meeting.

If approved and installed, the addition would be the first major thrill ride added to the park since 2003, when officials unveiled Superman: Ultimate Flight. Its also the first time the park has requested a height variance for a roller coaster since 1999, when it unveiled Raging Bull.

The most recent roller coaster addition to the park is the Little Dipper, a coaster purchased during an auction of Kiddieland Amusement Park.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Thanks Bret! Now I just hope we get flats and GASM stays put come July 1st!

Offline srosnerules

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
Oh, so Chang isn't really comparable to Mantis? Good, because Mantis is my only experience with a stand-up coaster and I hated it.

Jerry, Im glad im not the only person that thinks mantis was a one and done. What did you think of maverick? I know that it would be a bigger expense to put in a brand new Intamin rather than Chang which is already paid for by six flags, but GA has enough B&M as it is. Or how about a new Premier or S&S. We do need some variety at GA. I do agree that we do need flats even though i don't ride flats when I go to GA because i live 4 hours away from the park.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
On property resorts?  Do you mean Great Wolf Lodge at Kings Island, in which CBS held a small (less than 20 percent interest) that Cedar Fair did not acquire?  If not that, what?

I mean exactly that.  Who owned the land that that resort was built on?  Paramount Parks, who joined in with the resort company to build a resort on property.

Regardless of how much a stake they had in the resort, they were starting to experiment with on property resorts.  Not sure what CFEC not acquiring it has to do with much, since they have their own resort brands and likely didn't see a need to buy into a competitor, but again my point stands.  Weber ran Paramount Parks well, added flats and coasters, kept the company's finances in check, and was starting to experiment w/on property hotels.

Wouldn't it be something if GASM was actually coming down in preperation for an on-site resort?  The parking lot next to Ka was the original location and having it hook into the park through where GASM is would make sense.

Unfortunately though, the rumor is still pretty solid.  That meeting agenda was probably put together months ago and these changes happened literally in the last two weeks.  Oh well... time will tell.

Offline twisterbret

• Balin's Jungleland
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
I found Chang to be more enjoyable ride then Mantis and Iron Wolf. I would love to see more flat rides like Canada's Wonderland. There isn't enough to keep me busy the whole day like Knoebels and Hershey to name a few.

Wade is right, these town meetings don't happen on a days notice. There is still a pretty good chance Chang is coming our way like the rumors suggest. Let's give Great America Chang and we get a dive coaster ..sounds about right :)

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »
Ahh guys your KILLING me! I really don't want this rumor to be reality!!! LOL I am dying here!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
I've hear the rumors as well. But did anyone read this? :) What do you think that means? :)

Is super coaster coming to Six Flags?

Chicago Daily Herald
L2
English
© 2010 Chicago Daily Herald. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All Rights Reserved. 
A new roller coaster might be in the works for Six Flags Great America.

Officials are expected to appear before the Gurnee village board Monday night to get the necessary approval to erect a roller coaster that features two hills topping a village-imposed 125-foot height restriction. The coaster, which documents show is a stand-up coaster that was at one time operating at another Six Flags theme park, would reach a height of about 150 feet in the initial hill, then climb 137 feet in a second hill. Under village law, anytime Great America wants to build a ride over 125 feet, officials must obtain a special permit to operate the ride.

Jennifer Duggan-Savage, director of communications for Six Flags Great America, said acquiring the permits needed for the ride is only the first step of potentially bringing a new attraction to the theme park, and stressed that a new ride is far from a done deal.

"Going to the zoning board for approval is the very first step in considering expansion for our park," she said. "At this time, we do not have any further information. We are always looking to expand and looking for different avenues to do that."

Six Flags officials wouldnt way where the new coaster would come from. Gurnee Assistant Village Administrator Patrick Muetz said it would be shipped from a now-closed Six Flags park in Kentucky.

Theme park General Manager Hank Salemi said during his appearance before the Gurnee zoning board on May 26 the coaster is a new generation, stand-up roller coaster that was manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard of Switzerland. It would be the fifth B&M coaster at the park, along with Superman: Ultimate Flight and Raging Bull, according to minutes of the meeting.

If approved and installed, the addition would be the first major thrill ride added to the park since 2003, when officials unveiled Superman: Ultimate Flight. Its also the first time the park has requested a height variance for a roller coaster since 1999, when it unveiled Raging Bull.

The most recent roller coaster addition to the park is the Little Dipper, a coaster purchased during an auction of Kiddieland Amusement Park.

That's an old story Twisterbret. They were supposed to go to another board meeting yesterday or today, but they pulled out because they have nothing to present. I think that alone pretty much solidifies this rumor.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
How is Chang in comparison to Riddlers? Riddlers wasn't a bad ride at all but the whole stand up thing didn't do much for me. I felt more like I was on a Kumba style sitting coaster. I still feel a nice wooden coaster over by Nitro would be a great addition or hell, even where GASM is, a nice GG Twister of some sort since alot of boardwalks have wooden coasters on them.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
There both pretty similar IMO. Chang isn't a bad ride don't get me wrong, it's just something I feel the park doesn't need at the moment. Plus, I really don't want GASM to go.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »
Reggie said"""That's an old story Twisterbret. They were supposed to go to another board meeting yesterday or today, but they pulled out because they have nothing to present. I think that alone pretty much solidifies this rumor. """

Uhg and I have had a really bad gut feeling that this rumor could be the opposite. The same feeling I had befor KK was announced and a rumor.:( I really wanted the Jersey Devil wooden coaster over the lake that year! Just like I really want some nice flats this year! :/

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 01:32:15 PM »
Maybe flats are still on the radar for next year as part of a grand plan?  Just a thought.... trying to cheer things up a bit :D.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
Thanks Wade lol. I just can't see bringing back a Stand Up of all the other choices! The park "people" have to know that flats are important too! I Can't stand them taking flats (And water rides too!) out and not replacing them! I will say this right here though, one coaster I hope we NEVER see is a Eurofighter! Mystery Mine at Dollywood has really uncomfortable restraints! Almost reminded me of Chiller with OTSR's! Ouchy, my ears did not enjoy it one bit!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »
This is odd that for the big 50 years, they are just going to use a recycled coaster...How much is moving and constructing Chang cost against a smaller GG or GCI wooden coaster?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »
This is odd that for the big 50 years, they are just going to use a recycled coaster...How much is moving and constructing Chang cost against a smaller GG or GCI wooden coaster?

Exactly the issue I have with this whole mess.  I just rode Evel Knievel (http://rcdb.com/4045.htm)a couple weeks ago and was blown away by it.  It's a great solid attraction.  And at a cost of 7 million, I'd bet it's equal to moving and constructing Chang.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
Shhhhhh!!!!!Stop Talking Coaster up^ there!!! LOL

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 03:08:53 PM »
I'll be taking my last lap this Saturday I guess.  I won't really miss tho and I do like Chang over Mantis for the record.  Riddler is still the Best.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
I remember Mark Shapiro saying in an interview that he wasn't up for adding flats because they weren't marketable.  As much good as I think he did with the company, I staunchly disagree with that.

Thankfully the current guy (who may or may not end up with the job, remember) did add flats to the Paramount Parks.  If Weber ends up running the company, now with all of the cost savings he's doing, I think that adding in some flats over time to parks without them, then spending some marketing money to market them (Any flat is marketable, just ask Cedar Point), then things could get good.

Granted, if they cloned Evel at SFGAdv, I'd think of moving to NJ...

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »
I remember Mark Shapiro saying in an interview that he wasn't up for adding flats because they weren't marketable.

Not sure where you heard that. Shapiro actually said on the conference call he did with fans that he wanted to get us a flat package

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
/\ I think Gadv was one of the few parks that Shapiro did actually agree needed more flats due to the extreme number of rides that were removed over the last few years.  Otherwise, he did typically hold the opinion that they weren't marketable.

Of course, we could have had one hell of a drop tower for the price of the Bizarro makeover and THAT would have been marketable so I digres lol

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »
I remember saying that they weren't marketable but he wasn't against adding flats to the parks, just not as a main staple of the off season. I believe his quote when something like this:
If tilt-a-whirls were all the rage, I would buy 20 for each park since they are so cheap but no one says I really want to go ride the tilt-a-whirl.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
For what it's worth, after reading through all of this, I realized that many of us are taking this as fact while it's still a rumor.  And yes, I'm guilty of it to.  So I just wanted to remind everyone that there is still a chance this isn't even going to happen ;).

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
If it isn't true..someone really must be having fun watching everyone's reaction.
I haven't seen the message boards this busy in months!
Do the monkeys have first dibs on GASM?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:41:21 PM by Ogolo »

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
Blackhand....was this all your doing?