Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: RUMOR: Scream Machine Closing For Good July 1st  (Read 16331 times)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
Re: RUMOR: Scream Machine Closing For Good July 1st
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
I really don't understand the date of 7/1.  If this is true, why not at least keep GASM open for the holiday weekend and close it on 7/6?

It's looking like we are going to squeeze in a trip on Monday after work.  Anyone want to join us Monday night for some GASM?

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
The whole thing is weird, so hopefully it's just a rumor and will go away. It just seems like a uh, not well thought out decision, in general.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
It sounds to me like a quick decision with not much effort put into it. There are many other parks that could do with it, but GA doesn't need another 54" coaster.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Hell...they could fit a Lightning Racer in there probably

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »
New coaster plans at SFGAm officially canceled, confirmed by park's GM:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/2421482,5_1_WA23_SIXFLAGS_S1-100623.article

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »
Do we really need more proof that this is happening? I still don't know exactly how to feel. At least I got my rides in yesterday. :)
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
It sounds to me like a quick decision with not much effort put into it. There are many other parks that could do with it, but GA doesn't need another 54" coaster.

agreed

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
I understand that we don't need another 54 inch coaster, but at least they are not adding another to the collection. We are still going to have the same amount.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
I understand that we don't need another 54 inch coaster, but at least they are not adding another to the collection. We are still going to have the same amount.

One thing I wanted to point out was an error I had made in an earlier post.  I had incorrectly posted that GASM had a 48" height requirement when it is actually 54".  While I still stand by the fact that we don't need another 54" ride, it is somewhat of a relief that were swapping one for another.  Now with that said, I still swear that at one point GASM was 48"!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
^ I Believe GASM was 48 at some point as well as it was the only way I could have rode it when I was younger

As for this whole rumor, Old Habits never die hard...This has been going on for years upon years upon years. Build a coaster, and ignore flats and themes.

I love GASM and dont want to see it go, but for Chang? Ive always joked how we needed a stand-up but it just seems like its a poor decision. A woodie in that spot would be ideal especially because its the "Boardwalk".

I do see some pros about this though, they will get people into the park to ride the new coaster as well as save money to build it. Basically expanding the profit margin...
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
How about we sell Chang, get an Impulse to please the coaster people and some flats for the Tweeners?!! LOL I am seriously going to miss the sounds of Gasm's chain lift when I get into the parking lot! So much so that I'm going to record it! I really dont want it to go even though I dont ride it anymore. It was the first BIG thing we got in my 23 years going to Gadv. It was the first Gadv related words my kids said. Austin always yelled Skeem Sheen when we got in the parking lot just before he turned 2! I remember my brother losing his voice at 12 when I dragged him on it! Oh the memories! :(

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
I remember my eighth grade trip when I got a friend to ride it for the first time. Sadly, he says he's glad it could be going...

Offline RollingToro95

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »
I really dont know what to say other then FLAT RIDES BADLY NEEDED!

I bet this is the anchor for a lot of flats - just hopefully not another '99. On TPR, they have a Google Maps view of four different possible placements of Chang on GASM's spot and the unused parking lot, and most of them leave space for a ride expansion. I think this is a great decision of the part of Six Flags's part because a stand-up is great for marketing, using a recycled ride saves money for brand new flats, and best of all, it's supposed to be a great ride. By getting rid of a rough, generally disliked looper and replacing it with a smooth, fun stand-up, we'll have one of the smoothest and most diverse coaster selections in the world.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »
Every time I read this thread I get more pissed because Stand Up Coasters STINK! They were cool back in the 90's, but parks haven't bought a new stand up because they realize they are not good rides in the long run. Guests will ride it once because it's new, realize it's painful, and understand there is no need to ride it again. Plus, the capacity is terrible considering ride ops are constantly being asked to adjust the height of the restraints. ughhhhh

How about we sell Chang, get an Impulse to please the coaster people and some flats for the Tweeners?!! LOL I am seriously going to miss the sounds of Gasm's chain lift when I get into the parking lot! So much so that I'm going to record it! I really dont want it to go even though I dont ride it anymore. It was the first BIG thing we got in my 23 years going to Gadv. It was the first Gadv related words my kids said. Austin always yelled Skeem Sheen when we got in the parking lot just before he turned 2! I remember my brother losing his voice at 12 when I dragged him on it! Oh the memories! :(

Now that you mention it, I certainly will also miss the sound of GASM's chain lift pulling into the parking lot. It has the same nostalgia of the sound of an old woodie climbing the lift hill, plus it's and arrow, so it has a great lift sound. I can also say that GASM is a special coaster for me. I can remember growing up that I ALWAYS wanted to ride "the great american scream machine" before I was tall enough. More so than any other coaster in the park that I wasn't tall enough to ride. One year when I had thought I made the height requirement, I got in line for GASM, boarded the train, and was strapped in. When the ride op came to check my restraint, he had the restraint released and had me get out to check my height again. I was then told that I wasn't tall enough to ride. I was so upset that I cried and couldn't believe how close I was to actually ride the great american scream machine. I will never forget that day.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:24 AM »
Not only do I enjoy the sound of that old clanky chain, Weird enough, I like the smell of the grease...Its got a unique kind of smell that you automatically pin to Scream Machine.

You can argue that Chang MIGHT have better capacity, however GASM is and always will be the most reliable coaster in the park simply because its very elementary controls and mechanical elements make it so.

Personally, I dont mind Stand-Ups, Granted I only rode one, Mantis didn't bother me that much.

Now are they going to scrap GASM completely or hang on to it and move it somewhere else?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2010, 06:54:11 AM »
Every time I read this thread I get more *I'M A BAD PERSON!*ed because Stand Up Coasters STINK! They were cool back in the 90's, but parks haven't bought a new stand up because they realize they are not good rides in the long run. Guests will ride it once because it's new, realize it's painful, and understand there is no need to ride it again. Plus, the capacity is terrible considering ride ops are constantly being asked to adjust the height of the restraints. ughhhhh

You're not the only one!  Once and done for me on stand-up's.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »
The two novelty rides will be right next to each other!
At least it doesn't look like they will be putting Chang where Koala Canyon was.
That is where I want a nice GCI Woodie (and please don't tear down all the trees).

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
I continue believing it should have been Bluedusa to get cut or moved but I know more people ride it than GASM. I'll give up GASM if it means more douchebags will make it through the gates next year.

EDIT: Please don't ask me if I'm a douchebag ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:03:32 PM by darkridedan »
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
The two novelty rides will be right next to each other!
At least it doesn't look like they will be putting Chang where Koala Canyon was.
That is where I want a nice GCI Woodie (and please don't tear down all the trees).

Which one's the other novelty? Supes, Ka or El Bullo? ;)

GCI seems to be the B&M of wood coaster construction in that they cut down any tree that might be in the way, where as CCI/Gravity Group seems to have worked harder to maneuver around the trees and elminiate as few as possible. Part of this is at the park's direction of course. It's just cheaper to construct tall structures without obstacles in the way, so you know which route SF would take. ;)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
Uh....today's Six Flags is run by Al Weber, today.  So I have no idea which route Six Flags would take, today.  Back when Al was at Paramount, trees were pretty much safe...

Offline Coasterdude28

• Affiliate
  • Monkey Around
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
I'm also in the "not a fan" group for this one. My main problem is that Chang's design and ride experience is very similar to Bizarro in my opinion. I really don't get what it brings to the park.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2010, 01:41:40 AM »
^there is nothing to get because it brings NOTHING to Great Adventure. Put it at The Great Escape which has nothing relatively close for goodness sakes.

I continue believing it should have been Bluedusa to get cut or moved but I know more people ride it than GASM. I'll give up GASM if it means more douchebags will make it through the gates next year.

EDIT: Please don't ask me if I'm a douchebag ;)

huh?????

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
1.Medusa moved to SFStl
                    +
Chang moved to SFGdv

2. Chang moved to SFGAdv
                   +
 GASM removed

3. An overinflated view of one's self worth
               +
Falling for hype

I know you're good at math Matt. I hope this helps you out with figuring out my post.  ^-^
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »
Are you a Douche bag?

One thing that i will miss on GASM is that....

If all the rides a packed then it will be there for a short line

Its there when you pull in saying "no wussys alowed"

CAnt beat those double loops

ITS AMERICAN!!!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
No, but I've encountered enough of them to know...

ROLLING THUNDER