Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: The Comet At The Great Escape Was Once Even Scarier  (Read 1273 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
The Comet At The Great Escape Was Once Even Scarier
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »
Good videos, nice article, but the premise is completely, utterly and totally wrong:

...Now here's the thing. The out-and-back coaster known as the Comet was a more sinister ride in its early life. Back when it was called the Crystal Beach Cyclone.

The Cyclone, which operated until the mid-1940's, had a lot more dips and turns and twists. It had a figure-8 layout and several turns that could make you nearly fall out. It was said that the amusement park kept a nurse on site to administer first aid to any patrons who felt faint upon riding the coaster. Eventually the ride became a headache to maintain – the gravitational forces of cars careening around highly banked track at break-neck speeds forced the operators of Crystal Beach to reftrofit the Cyclone into the Comet that we all know and love....

http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/the-comet-at-the-great-escape-was-once-even-scarier/2214/

There's only one small problem with that....the two are totally different coasters...Charlie Wood often told me that the only part of the Crystal Beach Cyclone used in the Comet was part of the structure was used to rebuild the station. Now that the article is on the Internets, younguns will now tell us old people we don't know what we are talking about. At least he didn't write that Magnum or the Kings Island Vortex is sinking.

Even Roller Coaster Database claims Comet was built using much of Cyclone's structure. I knew Charlie Wood, who relocated the Comet to The Great Escape. And Charlie knew and dealt with many of the people who originally built the Comet at Crystal Beach...And Charlie said the only part of Cyclone that lived on in the Comet was in Comet's station. Think about it, Cyclone was a Traver ride..., while Comet is a Schmeck wooden coaster on steel supports.  As we will see, at least one source says part of Cyclone's steel was used in Comet's lift hill.  In any event, they are two totally different coasters.  Sigh.

Mr. Chuck Miller wrote the article I cited, he cites an excellent website:

http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPark/Crystal.html

And what does IT stay:

... In 1946 the park's power lines were placed underground and plans were made to replace The "Cyclone" with a new, longer ride capable of running three trains: The "Comet"....

not rebuild...replace.

To be fair, it also says:

...Seen through this tangle of girders is a Comet train on the lift hill. Much of the steel here, including the lift hill, came from The Cyclone.
Sigh.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:59:30 AM by GADVwow »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: The Comet At The Great Escape Was Once Even Scarier
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »
Yeah...
I always thought the station structure looked like it came from the Cyclone and was under the belief the lift hill was partially from the Cyclone, but the link ended there. Some guy at TGE said in an interview years ago "it's the only wood coaster that's been re-built three times." Obviously he meant it's been built once (Cyclone) and re-built twice (Comet), but he's still very wrong. The Cyclone and Comet are definitely two different coasters. But I don't really care what people believe.