Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: lifeguards suffering from heatstroke Hurricane Harbor  (Read 3788 times)

Offline chrs2244

lifeguards suffering from heatstroke Hurricane Harbor
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »
Visited Hurricane Harbor on Monday July 5th....heat was relentless.  For some reasons the lifeguards by the lazy river are not in the water despite the record breaking heat.  We saw one female life guard throw herself in the water to cool off, she looked like she was going to pass out and throw up.  Then another lifeguard collapsed and had to be taken out by paramedics.  Does anyone know how that lifeguard is doing?  That particular lifeguard had switched posts but going from one dry post to another in soaring heat is ridiculous!  Six Flags needs to take better care of their employees.  Our group was very traumatized and has been wondering how the boy was doing.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
Re: lifeguards suffering from heatstroke Hurricane Harbor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:43 PM »
Last time I checked I thought lifeguards usually only jumped in the water to save people lives. The chairs they sit on give them a better perspective of their surroundings.

Beaches do the same thing. So it is not a HH thing.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:46:23 AM by Steve »

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:31:50 AM »
I dont know about HH but our local swim club has the lifeguards rotate every 20 min or so and I have seen as they switch they try to jump into the water to cool off . I have also noticed the last few days that they have water bottles with them at each station . I do hope the Life guard is ok from HH and I am sure that SF has the sence to take care of their employees in these types of heatwaves !

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
I think this can go a few different ways. I'm [pretty] sure Six Flags wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the safety of their employees or guests. So it's always possible that the lifeguard didn't take proper precautions. Maybe didn't have anything to drink with him, didn't take breaks enough, didn't say anything when he started to not feel well. It could be a lot of things.

With that said, it's possible the park was stretching the time the lifeguards should be out to safe money. Who knows.

Also, Steve, I think lifeguards at the beach go for a swim every so often when they trade off.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
I think this can go a few different ways. I'm [pretty] sure Six Flags wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the safety of their employees or guests. So it's always possible that the lifeguard didn't take proper precautions. Maybe didn't have anything to drink with him, didn't take breaks enough, didn't say anything when he started to not feel well. It could be a lot of things.

With that said, it's possible the park was stretching the time the lifeguards should be out to safe money. Who knows.

Also, Steve, I think lifeguards at the beach go for a swim every so often when they trade off.

I'm sure the guards at HH do the same thing when trading off. I really cannot see the park making lifeguards bake like that in the sun all day.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
They get free rides whenever they trade. They're allowed to ride in the lazy river inbetween trade-offs and also ride with the guests on the water slides sometimes.