Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Survey: Favorite Coasters & Parks  (Read 22807 times)

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Survey: Favorite Coasters & Parks
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
Yeah that is next years project. I also have Holiday World and Kennywood to try out. I actually was looking at colleges that tailored to my wishes of being an engineer and were somewhat near those three parks. But I didn't like that idea so I'm taking a more affordable route.

I also noticed going through all the rides that sooperdooperlooper wasn't my first Schwarz... It actually was Laser when I was 13. I didn't realize it until I noticed the resemblance in the trains. I also rode Scorpion @ BGT which is another Schwarz back in 2008.

It was much harder for me to make a top 10 from woods than it was for a top 20 in steels. I had almost 30 major steels to choose from while I really only had like 8 substantial woods.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:27:49 PM by B-mac »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
I was just poking fun at ya, Canada. :)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I'm still under 100 coasters barely and after Ocboulderfest I have none of the Great woodies left to experience in North America. I kind of wish I didn't seek out all the best rides first. But it's hard to deny the best woodies.

Sorry if I missed any you've ridden, but I think you'll find you still have lots of good wood to get to in the US.

Tremors and Timber Terror at Silverwood?
New Mexico Rattler at Cliff's?
Ozark Wildcat (if it ever reopens)
Georgia Cyclone (on a good day)
Dania Beach Hurricane (if it gets saved/reopens)
Rampage at Alabama Adventure
Did you ride Shivering Timbers? It was AMAZING this year!
Prowler at Worlds of Fun

I have an idea for a new thread: "AV Matt's Required Riding"...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:02:42 PM by AV Matt »

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
Don't forget thunderhead... I was more so talking about the obvious Voyage, El Toro, BD, and Phoenix... which are usually every lists top 4. You could expand that to Ravine Flyer as well. I know there are still alot of good ones. Oh, a Dells trip still offers alot of wood as well. Timbers might be next year.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
No Thunderhead yet? Damn boyeeee.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
Thunderhead is a hike from here. I've only been at it 4 years.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »
Understood. I guess I assumed you'd ridden more of the top woodies with what you were saying. You have plenty of good ones to look forward to. You may like some more than the "top" rides you've already ridden.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
I wish I had the opportunity to hit New England this year but I guess that project is on hold for the forseeable future. It would've been nice to get that Boulder Dash credit along with the apparently epic Wooden Warrior. I also hear Zippin Pippin n Wisconsin packs a punch, too.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
I've got alot of real good ones left. A reference point for what I was talking about is the CBuzz top 100. After next weekend I will have all of the top 8 under my belt with #9, and 10 being Thunderhead, and Goliath... Nothing to snooze at, but at this point I would rather repeat some i've been on than treak to those 2. But yeah you are right alot of good ones left. SFStl, Dells, Thunderhead, Prowler, Timbers, Rumbler, Gwazi, and so on.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
Understood. I guess I assumed you'd ridden more of the top woodies with what you were saying. You have plenty of good ones to look forward to. You may like some more than the "top" rides you've already ridden.

So far I have liked them kind of in the order most others do. I'm thinking there is a chance BD could be so awesome that it will be my favourite. Twister was way above ranking for me for my first two knoebels visits. The first time I went I liked it more than Phoenix. But it's dropped off alot with re-rides. I find the surprise of the layout was what I really liked but now I know it all too well.

On the topic of woodies, why is El Toro the only one of it's kind in NA? and when will there be another? and where?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 12:22:54 AM »
It's expensive for a wooden coaster, has above average downtime for a wooden coaster and is a guest relations nightmare for customers not fitting. Mostly I think it's the money.  Dick Kinzel once said they'd never build one if I recall. 

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:01 AM »
The CW GM when asked about one said something like not over my dead body. If Toro wins the golden ticket 3 years in a row would that change things?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »
It's expensive for a wooden coaster, has above average downtime for a wooden coaster and is a guest relations nightmare for customers not fitting. Mostly I think it's the money.  Dick Kinzel once said they'd never build one if I recall. 
Have to disagree with the downtime part :).  Aside from growing pains during it's opening year and a cable breaking the following, it's been absolutely outstanding.  It has had no downtime to speak of this season at all (although now it will break since I just said that!).

The number 1 reason is likely cost but with the number of awards for El Toro and the fact that the new Texas Giant turned out to be a hit shows that woodies can in fact be marketable and keep people coming back so perhaps things might change soon?  In terms of ride rankings at Gadv, El Toro and Nitro are consistantly ranked at the very top along with Kingda Ka.

Enthusiasts aside, the general public absolutely loves this ride and I have to also wonder why we have yet to see one annouced in the states as well.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
Martin's Comet is a truly great ride though. Hope you get to ride it again under more favorable conditions. It's loaded with airtime and rivals Ravine Flyer 2 for best woodie in that general area./quote]

Comet was running really good last week. We got to the park around 7 and got in about 4 laps before they closed @ 8:30 ;)  The flume has a basic layout but was a complete soaker. The spinning mouse, not so much. Hit the release and spun once the whole cycle.

I've only ridden 3 coasters this year, very depressing year for me.

Don't worry Chuck, I only have 5 new credits this year as well.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
Fair season is starting up around here and a trip is in the works for Parque Warner Madrid and Parque Attractiones de Madrid.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
Every time I visit the park, El Toro breaks down at least once, while I'm in line or within view of it, for a decent amount of time. It may be more reliable now by Intamin standards and steel coaster standards, but as far as conventional wooden coasters go (they don't break down much), I still say it has above average downtime for a wooden coaster.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »
Every time I visit the park, El Toro breaks down at least once, while I'm in line or within view of it, for a decent amount of time. It may be more reliable now by Intamin standards and steel coaster standards, but as far as conventional wooden coasters go (they don't break down much), I still say it has above average downtime for a wooden coaster.

Didn't you say El Toro and Intamins in general hate you with a passion at one point?

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »
^it's a mutual relationship between AV Matt and Intamin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:40:26 PM by Millennium Force 44 »

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »
This is the sole reason Liviathan is a B&M... To lure AV back to CW.

It wasn't down the day I was there. But that was only 1 day. Ka was down 100% of the day.

Bubba, the spinning mouse at Martins is the worst coaster on earth!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
To clarify, I'm not talking about being down ALL DAY. I'm talking about a 10-30 minute breakdown at least once a day it seems, where as most woodies can run flawlessly for an entire day without a single breakdown.

I don't hate all Intamins, just the ones that hate me. ;) Balder is awesome sauce, but even it broke down for quite a while while I was there necessitating getting out of line after waiting about 45 minutes. But the dozen or so night rides during ERT made up for it. :) And don't forget those bobsled coasters!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »
Obviously the ride plays a huge role in break downs, but how much does the park have to do with it. Cedar Point always has rides down when I'm there. I have had a seasons pass at wonderland 4 years now and don't think I have seen a coaster down ever. No Intamin... but still seems strange. Thinking about it now the Volare was down once.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Derrick, your list seems to be the most hype, but not necessarily the best wooden coasters over all.  There are still tons of good wood out there.  You'll start to learn the ones that you love that aren't so hyped.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2011, 12:05:31 AM »
I'd probably put Dragon Mountain in my top 20 steel and most coaster tools think it's garbage. And don't forget my number one is Space Mountain at Disney World.  I don't pay any attention to the polls. I seek out what looks fun to me.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »
Matt you thankfully ignore Alvey's rules to good coasters:

1) if it isn't made by Intamin or B&M it is garbage
2) being overhyped earns it more points
3) smoothness earns major points, eespecially on wooden coasters

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »
I have a feeling this could change come Monday, but I'll go ahead and update this, then edit it if I need to next week ;).

Approximately how many different coasters have you ridden?

What are your 15 favorite wood coasters?

1.  El Toro
2.  The Voyage
3.  Boulderdash
4.  Phoenix
5.  Swamp Fox
6.  Evil Kenevil
6.  Thunder Head
7.  Legend
8.  Cornball Express
9.  Kentucky Rumbler
10.Ghostrider
11.Viper (SFGAm)
12.The Boss
13.Raven
14.ROAR (East)
15.Thunder Road (right side, on a good day)

What are your 15 favorite steel coasters?

1.  Phantom's Revenge
2.  Bizarro (SFNE)
3.  Maverick
4.  Hypersonic XLC (R.I.P.)
5.  X (Haven't ridden it squared yet)
6.  Ride of Steel (SFA)
7.  Revenge of the Mummy (USF)
8.  Afterburn
9.  Raging Bull (haven't ridden since 1999, though)
10.Xcelerator
11.Silver Bullet (Knott's)
12.Millennium Force
13.Top Thrill Dragster
14.Goliath (SFoG)
15.Volcano

Do you prefer wood or steel?
Hard to say, but I have more wood in my top 10 (overall)

What are your five favorite parks?

1. Myrtle Beach Pavilion (R.I.P.)
2. Dollywood
3. Indiana Beach
4. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
5. Islands of Adventure

Name five parks you want to get to someday?

1. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2. Nagashima Spaland
3. Fuji Q
4. Europa
5. Canada's Wonderland

Do you like rides other than coasters? Explain a little...
I love dark rides, drop rides scare me but I ride them,  I like stuff like maXair or Freak Outs, I always ride the train if possible, swinging ships can be fun, I have a new love for the Looper, Moser family bounce towers are AWESOME!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:28:55 PM by Edwardo »