Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Q2 SIX RESULTS  (Read 5061 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Q2 SIX RESULTS
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:02:20 PM »
Say goodbye to the long term discounting at Six Flags:

...Profits for the quarter ended June 30 were $743.5 million, up from a loss of $121.6 million a year ago. For the 2010 quarter, that worked out to profits of $7.47 a share for April and 40 cents a share for the two months that ended in June. That compares with a loss of $1.25 a share for the comparable three-month period a year ago. The gain was due in part to debt reduction stemming from the bankruptcy initiated by the predecessor company -- Six Flags Inc. –- on June 13, 2009....

But the company has put too much of its marketing muscle behind "Mr. Six" –- the company's balding pitch man -- and relied too much on long term discounting, said Alexander "Al" Weber Jr., who moved last week from interim chief executive to chief operating officer.

Future marketing messages will shift away from the diminutive Mr. Six to ads that "showcase the product," he said. ...

Weber said the company plans to move to a “more strategic discount plan.”

“We want to drive attendance the right way, without discounting on an ongoing basis,” Reid-Anderson said. “This is a great company that had a bad balance sheet. I think the company has a really good future.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/arlington/stories/081710dnbussixflags.5c9c9445.html

The Press Release:

Financial Release
<< Back
Six Flags Announces Strong Second Quarter 2010 Results
-- Revenues increased by 7% for Q2 and the first six months of 2010(1) driven by increases in attendance and sponsorship
-- Q2 Adjusted EBITDA increased 68% to $94.7 million driven by top line growth and effective cost management
-- Strong liquidity position, including cash balance of $210 million as of August 1st with no revolver drawn, enables $25 million pay down of first lien term loan
-- Six Flags emerges from bankruptcy with approximately one-third of the annual financing cost burden (approximately $75 million) and over $1 billion in federal NOLs
-- New management team in place focused on theme park excellence and shareholder value creation DALLAS, Aug 16, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX) announced today its consolidated operating results for the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2010(2).

"Our strong revenue and profitability in the quarter and year to date are a reflection of Six Flags' strong brand equity and the operational excellence of this superb team," said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We are well positioned to leverage our base business momentum for long term success."

"I am honored to be a part of this great company, and I am pleased with the strong results we delivered in the second quarter," said Alexander Weber, Jr., Chief Operating Officer. "Six Flags has a renewed focus on its core theme park business. We remain committed to delivering a clean, safe and fun guest experience with new and exciting attractions for customers of all ages."...

Complete press release(way too long to post here...) and financial tables available at:

http://investors.sixflags.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61629&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1460034&highlight=

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: Q2 SIX RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:08:50 PM »
Conference call transcript here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/220723-six-flags-ceo-discusses-q2-2010-results-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo

My impressions thereof to be posted later tonight.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »
My notes from listening to the conference call:

The focus is to reduce costs, improve efficiency, listen to the guests and give them what they want and empower local park management to make local changes to improve the business.

Debt is down from $2.7 billion pre-bankruptcy to $830 million now...freeing up substantial cash for more debt reduction and capital improvements.

Al Weber is capable of cute sarcasm:  "I know a little bit about the theme park space."

The goal is best in class performance.  The focus for now is on marketing, pricing and capital effectiveness.

Mr. Six, though having high awareness, is not effective and does not make people want to visit the parks.  He will, therefore, slowly disappear.

They intend to target families and thrill seekers alike and "convey the message that Six Flags offers something for everyone."

It is of great importance that SIX is in 9 of the top 10 metro areas in this country...

SIX currently underprices its competitors by 20 percent.  It was implied, but not stated, that this will soon end.

They need to select product that truly appeals to the customers and closes the gaps in the product mix.  "We need to listen to our guests to better understand what they want."

Last year Kentucky Kingdom had 500,000 to 600,000 in attendance and lost a couple of million dollars in EBITDA.

Sponsorship/corporate alliance program has been very successful and they want to do more...it is "very, very high margin."  (Look for more shrink wrapped coasters...)

They see, even with increased pricing integrity, increased future attendance by more closely aligning the product choices and guest experience to what guests want and expect.

In park spending is actually up one percent, while the decline in the gate component of per cap (caused by too broad discounting) actually resulted in an overall per cap decline of one percent.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
Very nice writeup. I'm reading through the transcript now. I guess I'm not surprised that Mr. Six is on his way out (again). I do enjoy the commercials that showcase more of the coasters.. when it's the real coasters at the park.

I'm a little confused/concerned about their pricing comments. Sure the coke can promotions are a little over the top, but if they think people are going to spend more than $50 to go to Six Flags for a day I think they might be in for a wake-up call.

One thing that concerns me is this comment:
And third, we can get a better bang for the buck by analyzing the value proposition of each capital investment. For example, our Glow In The Park parade over the five parks that present the parade, we spent approximately $7.5 million in capital. It's a magnificent event, but it is a night parade and must be schedule at night when guests have already left the park as well as requiring the park to stay open longer than tradition schedule suggests. We see this is as just one small example where we can improve the efficiency and effectiveness by deploying our capital differently.

I read that as: waste of money, get rid of it. I hope I'm wrong and we continue to see things like the Glow in the Park parade put into the parks.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:14:43 PM »
I don't see gate prices increasing much...but I bet season passes see quite a price increase next year...or may be honored at only one park for the regular price.  Platinum level, more money, more parks.

And Play Passes?  Gone, gone, gone.

Just my thoughts.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Maybe if they kept the park open after 10pm they wouldn't have the parade problem.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
I don't see gate prices increasing much...but I bet season passes see quite a price increase next year...or may be honored at only one park for the regular price.  Platinum level, more money, more parks.

Well that's what Cedar Fair does and that makes sense to me.

Maybe if they kept the park open after 10pm they wouldn't have the parade problem.

Well I thought the parade runs at 9 doesn't it? So I don't even really understand what they are trying to say. Unless they want to be like Disney and close at 7pm in the summer for no reason.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
Somehow I do not see Al Weber keeping longer hours...he is not a major proponent of such a strategy.  Note he has CUT park hours this summer.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »

Well I thought the parade runs at 9 doesn't it? So I don't even really understand what they are trying to say. Unless they want to be like Disney and close at 7pm in the summer for no reason.

They'll probably do a busch gardens and have the parade be the closing ceremony, or something...

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »
The funny thing is this.  When he was at Paramount Parks, Al Weber was a strong believer in the theory that if you can increase the length of a guest visit, you can get them to spend more money and therefore make more money.

I read his Glow In The Park comment as saying that the parade is NOT keeping the guests in the park to see it, and is therefore not effective, as too many guests have already left by then...

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »
The funny thing is this.  When he was at Paramount Parks, Al Weber was a strong believer in the theory that if you can increase the length of a guest visit, you can get them to spend more money and therefore make more money.

I read his Glow In The Park comment as saying that the parade is NOT keeping the guests in the park to see it, and is therefore not effective, as too many guests have already left by then...
If you look at it from just great adventure's standpoint, a lot of the customers are from out-of-state. Many people a year come from New York and Pennsylvania, even Delaware and Maryland. Those people leave at the crack of dawn and don't get to the park until either it officially opens or later and since they spent the majority of the day at the park they think they should just leave so that they don't get home at 2am.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
One must admit there isn't much in the way of lodging near the park.

Gee, perhaps a hotel?

wow, who just HAD to

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
the nearest one is in freehold (15 mins via 195) if I remember right. My mom even said it today when we were leaving HH (best day at that park by far, this year), she said that (mind you, she isn't into coaster business and all of it's affiliates) we need a "great wolf lodge" out here.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
Or a Castaway Bay, but owned by Six Flags.  Imagine that...

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 07:45:20 PM »
That would be cool, but I wonder how they would keep demand up when they're out-of-season with just an indoor waterpark.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
The out of season season does best of all at Great Wolf.  It's the summers, when they have plenty of competition, that Great Wolf often has difficulty.

Even in places like Wisconsin Dells, winters are not a problem for waterpark attendance in hotels.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
Well, that shouldn't be a problem then. Because the only other indoor waterparks in the state are by the ACExpressway and route 72 and no one will drive down there in the winter.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »
There's an indoor waterpark somewhere near Philly isn't there? I forget the name of it, but I see ads for it on I95.

There's also a Hilton hotel in Hamilton about 15 minutes from the park, no one seems to mention that though. And I think they are building a hotel on Rt526 in Allentown near Exit 7 of I195 as well.

But yeah, I'm surprised no one has built a hotel in Jackson, I guess zoning isn't there? Although there are lots of plots for more retail.

I'll take a hotel, or hotel/indoor water park owned by Six Flags - just not by Kingda Ka.

But yeah, just because Great Adventure is "only" an hour (or two) away doesn't mean that people wouldn't want to stay for a day or two when they get there.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
There's two actually, there's coco key and sahara sam's. They're both in New Jersey.

I heard that there is a deal if you stay at the hilton, the radisson or the mariott and plan to visit six flags for multiple days, but everyone complains that the traffic sucks on the way there and a lot of the time people get lost on the way to Six flags.

If they build an on-site hotel it should go somewhere out on the nitro side of the park, there's not enough stuff out there and it'd be perfect for little kids since they don't have to walk to far to have loads of fun. but Six Flags isn't allowed construction on undeveloped property because it's the pine barrens or something.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »
I personally think that the only flaw with the Glow in the Park Parade is that it isn't long enough, and could stand to be more spectacular. It's a good parade, but to truly stop that 9PM "beat the traffic" rush, it needs more. It definitely doesn't disappoint those who stay to watch...but it definitely could be a better draw. Closing earlier is definitely NOT the answer. Guests were pretty unhappy about that in my personal experience.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
One would hope the guests would express their displeasure, loud and clear, to Guest Relations.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
I personally think that the only flaw with the Glow in the Park Parade is that it isn't long enough, and could stand to be more spectacular. It's a good parade, but to truly stop that 9PM "beat the traffic" rush, it needs more. It definitely doesn't disappoint those who stay to watch...but it definitely could be a better draw. Closing earlier is definitely NOT the answer. Guests were pretty unhappy about that in my personal experience.

a lot of people were mad at BGE when they closed directly after the last firework popped.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »