Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Coaster Mania  (Read 12783 times)

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Coaster Mania
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
Bring a folding camping cup : )

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
I`ll just ask to stick my mouth under the spout.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
Yes, the park said they will be ready for opening day. 

And now they're not so sure...

Apparently Tom Rebbie announced at ACE's NoCoaster the other day that Holiday World has ordered a new PTC train for The Voyage. Hmmmmm....

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
Screamscape apparantly got the answer on that from Paula today.  I don't recall exactly the wording but it sounded to me like they didn't want to take any chances but still plan to open with the TL.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »
They ordered five CARS from Tom...which with the PTC train and two PTC cars they have means they will have two PTC trains if need be...as told at NoCoaster by Tom...

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »
what does 5 PTC "cars" run you? More than they sold the 2 used trains to darien lake for?  Seems like an expensive insurance policy... you'd think they'd just drop raven to a 1 train opperation for the early season. Unless timberliners... don't even want to think about it anymore. HWN's will be a little embarassing if they aren't ready.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:28 AM »
Why should it be embarrassing?  Timberliners were a new concept.  Some things work, some don't, some take a long time to work.  Now, if the park were to install new trains and they malfunctioned and caused severe injuries or worse, that would be far worse than embarrassing.  Also remember, the parks get their money and their reputation almost all from the general public and groups, not from enthusiasts.  Holiday World (and other parks, for that matter) does a very nice thing in having HWN, but enthusiasts are not entitled to any different deals than offered to other groups. 

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
What I meant by embarrassing was that timberliners were a game time decision at last years HWN... and 1 year later if they are still not ready. Especially considering they gave out free tickets for that year to come back to ride the timberliners. It`s like having a check bounce, writting a new check only to have it bounce again. I get that these things take time, I was only speaking on the HWN`s aspect of this. Ordering these emegency trains I believe is smart. Most parks would probably have too much pride to do this as it`s almost admitting to making a mistake (selling off the old ones pre-maturely) You can`t dwell on mistakes, you can only move forward. Also it`s not like these cars will go to waste with 2 other rides that use 2 PTC trains each.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
You must remember Will Koch was instrumental in the Timberliners.  The man was a very key part of their implementation.  The loss of Will has affected the park (and many of us) in many different ways.  The park has no reason to be embarrassed, and I truly doubt it is.  Now, Knobel's Amusement Resort, how many years has it been so far?  And even there there is no embarrassment...recreating the past from scratch isn't easy either.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
Two trains on the Raven!
That deserves a bell ring.

Sounds like it is time to start planning the trip to HWN.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
^ I'll make sure to tell Wade to bring the brown bags for the parking lot.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
And bring ear plugs too if you share a room with Ken. ;)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:53 PM »
Raven with one train was walk-on last year. Except the back seat was a 3-4 train wait.

Wow make no mistake i`m not hatin on HW. I`m new to being an enthusiest (2008) but HW is easily my favourite park. I love everything about it and wish more parks were operated with such concern for the customer. I was only commenting on this particular situation. I don`t imagion anyine attending HWN will be upset if they are not ready. Perhaps dissapointed, but understanding. If anything it might just tilt people who are 50/50 on attending into not attending. But it's hard to estimate things like that. Which reminds me who ever is attending this year give mrs. Koch a big canadian 80th birthday kiss for me ;) and Paula just for being Paula lol.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:02:07 AM by dkny6363 »

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
And bring ear plugs too if you share a room with Ken. ;)

LOL..Thanks Matt!
Many laps on the Voyage will make one so tired that it won't make a difference.

Yes Raven was a walk on...I was just trying to look at the good side of things.
I think they will do their best to get the Timberliners on for HWN. They sure tried hard enough last year.
My main concern would be did they get that smell out of the tunnel on the Voyage.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
I liked that smell. It was so Indiana.

Coastermania..... Why do they have MF and Maverick ERT in the morning? Is there a logic behind that or is it just the way it played out.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
If anything it might just tilt people who are 50/50 on attending into not attending.

Or it will tilt many people, who don't want the Timberliners, to attend and get one more crazy weekend of the best night rides around. :)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Coastermania..... Why do they have MF and Maverick ERT in the morning? Is there a logic behind that or is it just the way it played out.

I'm guessing it's because those rides are so popular that they would have to close them to the public an hour or more before park closing in order to clear the public for ERT.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
oh right... Like the old get in line at 9:59 and still get a ride even if it`s not until 11:00. Makes sense. You`d think TTD would be in the same boat. Maybe that is why ERT starts at 10:45 on the Dragster night, and 10:15 on saturday when the longest line ert ride would be raptor.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2012, 02:25:44 AM »
In a strange turn of events CP changed coaster mania to July 13th this year. Pro: you could now go to HWN`s and CM. Con: It`s now only one day!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »
In a strange turn of events CP changed coaster mania to July 13th this year. Pro: you could now go to HWN`s and CM. Con: It`s now only one day!

Makes no difference to me. I'd never go to Coaster Mania over HolIWood Nights.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »
I think you missed the point a little.. they are not on the same weekend anymore. Doesn`t it seem odd they made a one day event... Hardly an event at all. It is almost like they want to get rid of it all together, but kept it as a one day just to say its still on.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28:03 PM »
It always used to be a one day event. Most people can't handle two days of it considering how long those days are anyway. I haven't spent a full day at Cedar Point since 1998 or so. I like to go multiple days when I go, but take it at my leisure.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »
Could be squashed to one day due to the ACE Spring Conference 2012 @ Cedar Point? May 18-20
Maybe they just didn't expect the same attendance to Coaster Mania due to that event.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
I did not know it used to be a one day event. I like 2 days at the point. Otherwise you feel too rushed, and you get run down. The scheduale last year was commically packed. But thats cool! I remember gettting back to our hotel last year around 1 and asking my daughter if we were getting up at 5 for Millie, and Maverick ERT... of course the plan was to get up, but I think we snoozed it like 45 times and got there just in time for early entry. The point I am trying to get at is the weekend was good for both (go-hards) and chilled out people. Go at your own pace.

Personally I won't be headed back to the point until another new ride goes in. I've been 3 times (2 days each) since Maverick. Always a good time, but many  other places to get to. Drop 25 mil on a new coaster... be right over. ;)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
When I used to go to Mania, it was always on Friday. But I would always go to the park on Thursday to enjoy minimal waits. It was always longer waits for Raptor during ERT than it was all day Thursday.  Then on Saturday I would head to another park like Geauga Lake or Michigan's Adventure. 

Coaster Mania was one day only for nearly 20 years.   It all started with Magnum Mania in 1989.