Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Looking for a Full Time Job  (Read 3944 times)

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Looking for a Full Time Job
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
So I am graduating from Stevens Institute of Technology this spring in the field of Mechanical Engineering and was wondering if any of our forum members worked for or had any friends that were engineers that are looking for new workers, or knew of any open positions. Any suggestions or connections are appreciated and encouraged. :)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
Re: Looking for a Full Time Job
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
Good luck. My girlfriend has that same degree and still can't get a job. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic :P

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
Can't promise anything but send me your resume.  I know a few people that might be interested.

Oh, and congrats!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »
Good luck. My girlfriend has that same degree and still can't get a job. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic :P

Yeah I have been looking all over my schools job listing but it seems like all they want is Sales Engineers lol I don't wanna have to sell people crap anymore

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »
Congrats! I am an ME in the HVAC field. I deal with sales engineers all the time and contrary to what you may think they aren't in the business of "selling you a product" so much as assisting you in specifying their products if you choose to go with their brand for a particular project.

Basically we the designers call them up all the time asking for them to take our engineering data and select the appropriate equipment and send us all of the details. This is actually something I do as well most of the time, but occasionally the situation is too complicated to waste my time on it when I know they have custom software to do it and if they want us to specify their equipment, it's in their best interest to help us out as much as they can. ;)

So if HVAC is of any interest to you, I would check out the Sales Engineer opportunities. You get to do more then sit in an office and sell stuff or help out the designers like I mentioned above. You also get to travel around to your clients' offices and give presentations and visit project sites and assist with problems in the field, much like we do.

My company is not currently hiring and probably won't be any time soon, sorry. I have been in your shoes. I graduated at a bad time as well. It took me two years to find a job remotely related to my skills (I taught math and AutoCAD and some other stuff for two and a half years). Then after that I finally found the engineering job I had been waiting 4.5 years for.

If you haven't already, do yourself a HUMONGOUS favor and take the  FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Exam! It will make you much more marketable for landing a job in your field! Also, if you can't get an engineering job right away, try to take additional courses in the meantime on stuff you don't know about. I'm currently learning Revit for my job while we're slow and don't have enough projects to keep all of us busy.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »
My senior design project is all HVAC actually, and according to your description, my group is actually doing a job that sounds similar to what you do as we build our project. Graduate school is also an option for me so that I become more marketable. As far as the FE, I haven't taken it but if you think that will make an improvement on my worth essentially, then I will certainly have to look into it.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Dude, DEFINITELY take it NOW. Trust me, if you don't take it now, there will come a time that you want to take it so you can work towards getting your Professional Engineer license, but you won't remember any of the material from college. I was all set to take it in college, then something came up and I missed the deadline, and now seven years later I'm kicking myself for never taking it.

You don't have to be a licensed engineer to be an engineer (many practicing engineers are not licensed). But every employer wishes all of their engineers were licensed. It allows you to have more responsibility and not rely on other engineers to certify your projects. And you'll get paid more. ;)