Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Countdown to Hollywood Nights, and Coaster Mania!  (Read 19455 times)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
Countdown to Hollywood Nights, and Coaster Mania!
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
100 Days!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Countdown to Hollywood Nights, and Coaster Mania!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »
LOL Here we go again. 

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:10:10 AM »
465 .... wait next year is a leap year I think.    466

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
OUCH! Put that number away Bubba. Toooo Depressing! Thats my HWN`s countdown, and it`s too damn long.

FYI the Cedar Point hotel reservations just came avalable today. I booked 3 nights in Breakers Express for under $300. If you book through Cedar Point make sure you enter the promocode MANIA and it will save you just over $30. I believe it`s 10% off.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
I'm with Bubba!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
Depressing. I'll be skipping this year as well. I've got enough travel coming up that will leave my wife stranded with 3 kids and a newborn.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
I'll be taking my buddy Mark for his first voyage to Santa Claus. Can't wait!
Bubba, you really not going?

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »
no, I can't afford two weekends away back to back.  At least I get to see 8 mile the week after HWN.  ^ Can you at least get me a shirt ?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
I'll see what I can do.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »
Hey Matt... Now that the Voyage is officially shiza ;), and nobody is making it to hwn`s this year, and all the awesome ppl are going to mania, why not change course and head to the point. For Funzies... lol.

But seriously you should. Magum till 1 am. How bad could it be. HWN`s in 2012 will be xtra massive with a 2011 skip.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:52:39 AM »
ps. 95 days

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 03:35:42 AM »
As much as I LOVE Magnum, night rides on Voyage rule the world. There is nothing else I'd rather be doing than riding it over and over again under optimal conditions. NOTHING.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »
The world is composed of wildly varying people!  I'd rather have ONE ride on the Cyclone at Six Flags New England the first year it was open than to have a week on Voyage.  Voyage is a fine coaster, but El Toro is finally getting the recognition it so justly deserves.

In fact, I will go so far as to say Voyage isn't even the best coaster at Holiday World.  At least not in my book.  But then I'd just start raven about a fine ride in that park which deserves to be a legend.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
The only reason I might really miss going to hwn 2011 is if they actually have the timberliners running (well, and hanging with really fun people). Those trains could really be a game changer for me at least.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
Something tells me that if I think the Timberliners dramatically improved Voyage, Matt will think they ruined it.  And vice versa.

At least we agree about Son of Beast.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
Loved the pun Wow, I think everyone can agree about son of beast. Anyways, I love Magnum, it will always rank higher in my mind than Millenium Force and will sometimes rank higher than Maverick (front row only...). Magnum would be much higher in my mind if the trains were more spacey, but the thigh shot from the epic air time on the return trip I can easily deal with after riding it for the first time.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
Magnum is all about the back B-Mac.

I found Raven, and Legend closer to Voyage than I had expected but certainly not better. I could see it going that direction after a few trips.

Riding Voyage in optimal conditions is great. Last year at my 1st hwn`s I actually sat in the pizza parlor for an hour waiting for darkness to take the first trip on the voyage in full dark... worth the wait. Wear sun glasses too, the turnaround is insane!

I agree with Wows comments about the timberliners.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »
My flights are booked for HolIWood Nights. $210 round trip: Philly to Louisville. Yay for Orbitz!

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
If I only knew where I might be coming from, I might do the same.  At this point, I am not sure what I will be if/when I grow up.

Wow: Always tell the truth, no one will ever believe you!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
A little off topic...

Ocboulderfest.. Would anyone recomend this for a first trip to LC, or would a summer trip when it's open till 10 be better? I've all but ruled out the haunted graveyard for a first trip due to the weather and my expeience at kennywood this past october. I'm a little antsy about this trip because BD, and Bizarro are the last of the epic coasters in NA i've yet to ride. I know there are tons of good rides still out there but to me these are the last huge ones for me. After HW last year as happy as I was to finally go, I felt equaly down that I had one less plave to look forward to. Matt I'm sure you had the same feeling after Blackpool. Anyways I'm just nervous I might be less enthused after I cross off these 2 last rides. Rides like Prowler, Thunderhead, I305, Appolo's just don't have me dying with excittment. I guess I'm lucky that I still have any epic rides left to experience. Alot of you need new rides to be built every year to get a new ride.

Anyways to recap.. Summer, Haunted Gaveyard, or Oc boulderfest?
and is it at all reasonable to do LC, and SFNE in a single day? I worry about what to do with myself all day at LC. Does the skyride operate at OCboulder? I know it wont during HG due to the only operates in light issue.

Thanks for any help, eh

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »
OcBoulderFest is a great time to experience Boulder Dash and most of the park. It's right on the edge of when they shut down the skyride for the year though. The skyride is a fantastic experience itself, so if you could get confirmation from the park when they schedule to have it closed for the season, I'd suggest that. You might luck out. And you'll get a ton of night rides during ERT vs. only a few in the summer, BUT you could have a great time on summer Saturday as well.

If you get a gold Qbot at SFNE, you could do both parks in the same day, but I'd HIGHLY recommend against that (not the Qbot part). How about you go to Quassy and LC the same day and SFNE the next day? Both Bizarro and Boulder Dash do not open running in top form. You'd be best off experiencing both of them in the evening.

LC has some great water rides and flat rides. You could fill a day there easily. If you take your time exploring SFNE, you could get a full day out of that as well.  Quassy is an easy "stop in for a bit" park.

P.S. Finally getting to Blackpool wasn't bitter at all for me. It was a huge relief actually. I finally accomplished it and can now look forward to future re-visits if it works out, but it's not nagging at me anymore like it did for the last 21 years. Coaster-wise I am running out of big ones to visit, but that's ok as I have other travel goals to focus on once I run out, plus it means I can focus on revisiting my favorites. :)

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
My flights are booked for HolIWood Nights. $210 round trip: Philly to Louisville. Yay for Orbitz!
   :o

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »
That makes summer the better choice cuz oc boulderfest sunday SFNE closes at 7. Plus i`d prolly leave at 4-5 and drive home, rather than spending an extra night.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
Well if you'd be up for staying until park closing, I think 7pm would be plenty late enough to get a good day in at SFNE. You just don't want to ride Bizarro at opening and then leave. It doesn't need all day to break in.

However, going in the summer would give you more flexibility for everything, so that may be your best option, especially if you want to really enjoy everything The Lake has to offer. That said, Boulder Dash ERT at OcBoulderFest is second only to Voyage ERT at HoliWood Nights unless you're not hardcore like me. :)