Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Opening Day 2011!  (Read 7973 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Opening Day 2011!
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »

Today I headed over to the park with Melissa for what was my last Great Adventure opening day for the foreseeable future. (I'm moving to Florida next month for anyone who doesn't know!) While we didn't stay too long, and hopefully some other members of the site checked out more than we did, it was still a nice day and we had a good time!

You can see all the photos from the day at our Facebook page!

The weather was nice, the park wasn't too busy, and everything we saw was open. We headed in, got our season passholder books from the Looney Tunes store, then headed to Safari Discoveries, where we spent the majority of our a time. Then we went to check out Ka, but the line was long! So that was pretty much it. Between moving next month, and oh yeah getting married!, we had some other stuff we needed to do today!

- Safari Discoveries is a great thing to have in the park, but feels a little small. Hopefully they will expand, because if a large number of people end up in there it will be tight! And there's only one entrance and exit. Also hopefully there will be more animals!
- They are doing introduction and training sessions several times a day with the sea lions, and you can just sit there and watch. There are other trainers and educators all over the exhibit with animals. I believe they will be doing shows later in the summer once the sea lions get used to the exhibit.
- I think they need to secure up the exhibits a bit. I fear for some of the animals, especially the birds hanging out between the entrance and the stadium seats.  Oh and the fences where the rabbits are should probably have chicken wire to keep hands out. But this is all just worries because of bad guests, and given everything the park has done with the area in a relatively short time it's a great thing to see!
- There is a big fence in the Golden Kingdom that prevents you from walking from Ka to Toro. Very inconvenient, and I hope it doesn't stay there. I did notice that the 2011 park maps are dawn that way, though. Ugh. We already witnessed several guests unhappy that it didn't go through anymore and they had to turn around through the boardwalk. And it's only going to get worse during the summer. AND I'm sure the trainers and educators in the area don't want to deal with that all year. This was a bad decision.
- Ka was running 3 trains today but seemed.. slow. I watched a few trains sit on the launch (there was only ever one out there at a time) for several minutes before they went. Hopefully this will speed up!

That's, pretty much all I have. One thing that I noticed is there is no mention of Season Passholder Day on Easter Sunday, or Coasters After Dark in May, on the SFGA website, or in the passholder coupon book or on any of the marketing materials. Does this mean those are not happening? That's sad, as CAD was probably going to be my last chance to ride coasters before I move.

One neat thing to look forward to: There will be a show called Extreme Raptors in the Safari Kids Adventure Theater (formerly Wiggles Theater) in the summer! We asked about it and it will have some famous bird of prey dude coming into the park to do shows.  They couldn't remember his name, but did mention he has an eagle flight license, which are hard to get.

Feel free to ask any questions, maybe I can come up with more things I remember! And if anyone else was at the park today, post your experience!

/\ the evil fence \/

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:45:28 PM by jglonek »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Opening Day 2011!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
I've met the eagle dude before (twice actually). He came to my schools when I was 10 and 14, in completely different schools lol. Both times his eagle took off directly in front of me and man do those things create a gust on take-off!

One of my friends sent me a text asking why Ka was only running one side and I told him it was more efficient. He replied back saying that I'm an idiot. Once all the employees get used to the system and the way things are meant to be run it should all speed up. it's going to be an active spring break so they better get moving.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
Correction to CAD: There is a page in the coupon book for Bring a Friend on Coasters After Dark (May 6th) and Fall Family Fun Night (September 30th). I was looking for a page with all the season passholder events. Although I don't know why they aren't on the website, and I still don't see anything for Season Passholder Only day during Easter

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
Joe and I were there from 6 to 8.  It was crowded and would have been better with a few more trains out.

The fence sucks.  Plain and simple.  Move it to the side to cover all the nice stuff they ripped out so we can at least walk through.  This has got to be either profits (forces people by the games) or because the don't want people bothering the animals from the other side of the glass.  I wish them the best dealing with angry guests.

Other than RT possibly being worse than last year and line jumping already starting, not a bad night but WOW do they have A LOT of work to do before spring break!

One final mention... ever see a house over Christmas (ours) that has one set of lights that are insanely white and bright because they are LED mixed with the standard bulbs.  Well, that's the carousel.  It looked... well, odd.  The exploded and distorted speakers didn't help matters.

On a positive note, the staff was friendly :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:26:29 PM »
One more thing - I still can't believe they closed the Season Pass processing line at 8PM with the park.  And we weren't the only ones that waited til the end of the night.  Ive done this before with no problem.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
I have to say the weather was nice ....
Ok the FENCE IS A HORROR !! I give them the award for worse fence placement EVER !!
The fact that Toro had only one train and the other train no where to be seen is a little worriesome since spring break is not that far off . Kingda Ka was a no go for me ... Hubby and Daughter got to go and I used my parent pass and never got to ride ... I left after about three break downs and a roll back while I was sitting waiting to be launched !! UGH

Did ride Nitro which is always good ! walk around a little and did go to the Safari discovery area ... It is very nice and well a little small . If there are too many people in there I can see it being a problem ... One way in and one way out not the best of ideas ... The animals were very cute the bears were a big hit with people too.

The staff was very friendly and I just hope they got some of the little issues fixed before spring break ...

One HUGE dissapointment is the fact that the climbing area and the golden kingdom was all gone ... there is even less for the little ones to do now !!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »
Don't get me started lol

That was almost the final straw for us this season. 5 season passes isn't cheap for us. I'm a sucker though and caved. Kids lol

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »
Nitro was running great.  New themeing inside Skull Mt.  New concrete. Rolling Thunder could be better.  Fantasy Fling is now called" Tornado"  which is  a pizza roll snack food Item you can buy at a stand near the Arcade Bowling laser building.  The sky ride looks nice..but the cars still seem dull to me even after the fresh paint. Maybe the cars need  a logo or bigger letter, #'s.... I don't know. 

The boy scouts being able to sleep on the island behind Blackbeards would be something I would like to do.  Seeing RJ and Matt Smith was nice, missing shoe and Ken not so much. The llamas were cool, fence is whatever .. Oh,  Last thing ... if you happen to walk by and knock a mug of the shelf don't worry about it they don't make you pay, lol (Hannah)  ;D   That's all I have for now !

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »
The fence sucks.  Plain and simple.  Move it to the side to cover all the nice stuff they ripped out so we can at least walk through.  This has got to be either profits (forces people by the games) or because the don't want people bothering the animals from the other side of the glass.  I wish them the best dealing with angry guests.

I thought about the idea with not wanting to spook the animals, but what is there really? You would be on the other side of the bears, which you can get just as close to (if not closer) on the inside, and then the swans? And the birds at the entrance of Safari Discoveries can be snuck up on on both sides, especially the two on the left where the fence is. Melissa is worried some kid's just going to run up the hill one day and mess with them.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »
Oh, I should mention, since she was there at Safari Discoveries this morning with Angel and John Fitzgerald - Kristin is back! I'm not sure if her job title has been publicly announced yet?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:22:01 AM »
What do I have to do to get to hold a real life teddy bear like that dude in the picture? I so want!!!

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:02:20 AM »
Where is the fence? I saw the picture, I just cant seem to know the placement

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
the entire walkway from the entrance to the tiger stadium to Kingdom Trader is blocked off

See attached!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:22:41 PM by jglonek »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
Matt, you can always hop the fence lol.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »
Don't get me started lol

That was almost the final straw for us this season. 5 season passes isn't cheap for us. I'm a sucker though and caved. Kids lol

I know we are also getting 5 too ... There is even less for him to do and at 52 inches it is very fustrating !!! there is not much there and I see even less trips if things are the way they were yesterday . Over 2 hours to get on to El Toro with one train was not fun . We only waited for it because it is the one and only "BIG" ride he can go on !! We are booked for Hershey park for some of Easter break and if the height requirements are right on the Cedar Point web site them we will be in ohio in this summer which will give him a HUGE rollercoaster trip since TTD is 52 inches and Millie is posted as 48 !! WHOOO

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
Although I don't know why they aren't on the website, and I still don't see anything for Season Passholder Only day during Easter
That's because there isn't one.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Although I don't know why they aren't on the website, and I still don't see anything for Season Passholder Only day during Easter
That's because there isn't one.

What happened the large group didnt buy out the park this year so no one gets the season park perk !!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »
It's...challenging to have a conversation with a guest that is upset with the lack of play structures and the perception[/i] of the lack of kiddie rides. When it's merely the rides it's easier because you can point out that with the return of the Bugaboo, Tango, and the relocation of Raja's Rickshaws, you're dead even with the kiddie rides. But when they are upset about the play structures as well, Fun Factory doesn't cut the cake. The guest I spoke to today flat out told me her kids think it sucks. Hard to come back when you lost a total of 3 play structures since the two "new" rides in Safari Kids are where they also took out the SS Feathersword play structure. At least BBNP is still intact so you have kiddie rides on the Park West side.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 01:01:58 AM »
I feel for you guys. In all seriousness, why didn't they just leave it the hell alone. This is unreal. Play structures. Seriously... Geez. They must have had at least 50% less operating budget!  Oh, and they were also HUGE hit which after the number of hours I've spent there I can vouch for.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »
Another new thing that I noticed this year is that they have security guards doing the height checks at the entrances to the coasters.  Seems like a waste of security, but I'm guessing it must be because of arguments from guests regarding height or loose article issues.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »
I remember an employee getting harrassed for that last year. The kid she had clearly wasn't close to height for Ka but she tried to get him through anyway.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
I feel for you guys. In all seriousness, why didn't they just leave it the hell alone. This is unreal. Play structures. Seriously... Geez. They must have had at least 50% less operating budget!  Oh, and they were also HUGE hit which after the number of hours I've spent there I can vouch for.

I spent many a day there for hours as well .... I can only think that this is a staffing issue or at least hope it is for something better but I am serverly dissapointed with the park and think with a dorney park pass we maybe spending more time there then at SFGADV . I just think at 52 inches it fustrates him to go to SF there just isnt enough for him to do . Forget about when we come home from Ohio and he can ride TTD and MF he will never want to go back to SF again.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »

I spent many a day there for hours as well .... I can only think that this is a staffing issue or at least hope it is for something better but I am serverly dissapointed with the park and think with a dorney park pass we maybe spending more time there then at SFGADV . I just think at 52 inches it fustrates him to go to SF there just isnt enough for him to do . Forget about when we come home from Ohio and he can ride TTD and MF he will never want to go back to SF again.
I know it seems like it, but you can't really blame Gadv on the height restrictions. It's the state being so strict on it.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »

I know it seems like it, but you can't really blame Gadv on the height restrictions. It's the state being so strict on it.

I do agree Steve it is the state BUT I can say that SFGADV has taken out all the flats that he would have ridden as well as now the play structure . The kiddie rides are just that kiddie .... it is fustrating to spend 80 on a pass and only get to ride a handful of rides with him . When I can spend 160 and go to dorney as well as cedar point and kings dominion . Just thinking that they need to go back to basic rides and stop with the thrills ... I know that CP is thrills but they have great flats there as well !!