Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Poll

Should the Green Lantern have any theming and Special Effects?

Yes
15 (83.3%)
Not sure
1 (5.6%)
No
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Poll Question  (Read 6233 times)

Offline ThrillRideFan245

Poll Question
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
Sadly I have heard that the Green Lantern stand up coaster will not be having any theming or special effects based on DC Comics Green Lantern himself. Personally to me I think this would make the ride spectacular!!! They already have Bizzaro with Special effects..why not?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:47:50 PM by ThrillRideFan245 »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Poll Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
I think they should theme it to a candy bar!!!

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
Well, rumor has it that M&M mars is considering to sponsor GL with M&M's, Twix, and Snickers!!! :D

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
But Nitro is already themed to Snickers. The guests are going to think it's the same ride!!!

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
Well, you can always throw skittles on GL lol

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Taste the rainbow!!!

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »
Only the green skittles though :P

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:09 PM »
I wonder who answered No to this poll question.....

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
Twasn't me.  I think the ride should be CHANGed.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »
Wasn't me either, I still think we need a GG woodie...

Offline jake99

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
I'm all about special effects on rides!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
Maybe the park isn't dumping money into special effects because it seems every ride the company builds that is based on a movie, or specific character, it gets changed into something else shortly after (Terminator, Mr Six, Tony Hawk...) Maybe they're actually *gasp* planning ahead!!!

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
Well, Great Adventure (and even Magic Mountain) are in a bit of a pickle right now with green lantern. They have permission to use the character from the comics, but aren't allowed to reference to the movie (even going as far as not using the name on their ads)...

Apparently the movie is sponsored by Mt. Dew (a pepsi product) and six flags sells strictly coke products. Now imagine a Mt. Dew wrapped train Matt.

I agree to the fact they're planning ahead, maybe they'll change the name to avoid any more trouble. I'm not liking their ads for "our new stand-up coaster" at the moment either, but then and again their other ads were even worse...

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
Even I don't want to see Mountain Dew advertising of any kind at any amusement park, other than it being on the menu at food stands.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »
I didn't like stride being put on El Toro, I used to call it the rainbow train (Puking rainbows). They make money, companies get business, win-win situation as far as business is concerned.

I wouldn't care about advertising as long as they follow through with their promises... Matt, they said they will add bumper cars next year by the big wheel and fill all the empty spaces that used to house flat rides. Old Country I'm guessing will be 2013-2014...

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
By the way, I finally voted... no. Just give coasters a cool name, landscaping and a cool station (I love architecture) that fits in with the area it's in.  Rolling Thunder does it right.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
Rolling Thunder is the boss, every re-theme in it's area has been tailored to it so it isn't out of place. Hell yeah, talk about benefits. I really liked the look of Hydra's station @ Dorney Park and I even know that Apollo's Chariot is a cool design.

I am a total sucker for buildings that look sleek and look like they'll collapse in the slightest winds....

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
I love Hydra's station as well. It is one of the coaster stations that come to mind when I think about a sleek, modernized coaster station.
By the way I was the other one who answered no to the poll question. My post about asking who answered no was supposed to be a sarcastic hint, but I guess no one picked up on it.
I think that having special effects on roller coasters at an "Amusement" Park is dumb. For me at least, special effects will not make me like a coaster anymore than I do as it is without the effects. Station theming and minimal queue theming is a very nice touch, but during the ride itself, I pay no attention to special effects. For roller coasters at "Theme" Parks, yes special effects can be a nice if executed well. Basically, I think Six Flags has no reason to waste money adding special effects to their big coasters.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Boulder Dash... Now that's a PERFECT mashup of an amazing ride in an awesome setting with the PERFECT name and a perfectly themed station. 

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
Agreed. I also like the theming in Voyage's station and queue.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:39 PM »
I love Hydra's station as well. It is one of the coaster stations that come to mind when I think about a sleek, modernized coaster station.
By the way I was the other one who answered no to the poll question. My post about asking who answered no was supposed to be a sarcastic hint, but I guess no one picked up on it.
I think that having special effects on roller coasters at an "Amusement" Park is dumb. For me at least, special effects will not make me like a coaster anymore than I do as it is without the effects. Station theming and minimal queue theming is a very nice touch, but during the ride itself, I pay no attention to special effects. For roller coasters at "Theme" Parks, yes special effects can be a nice if executed well. Basically, I think Six Flags has no reason to waste money adding special effects to their big coasters.

Six Flags runs Theme Parks, not Amusement Parks. Yes, the "Theme" aspect was lost after the Time Warner days and made a mild comeback during the Shapiro days...but they are Theme Parks all the same.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »
To me themeing is everything. That along with a storyline to acompany the themeing. However I think the themeing in the queue is the most important. A preshow is not really necessary in my opinion but themeing like the old dueling dragons, saw: the ride or raptor is amazing. Personally I think all coasters should be like that. Especially dragons and raptor. Both have great storylines and great themeing to go with it.

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:48:47 AM »
saw: the ride or raptor is amazing.

Don't forget  Nemesis! 

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
Meh, i guess I just don't really gie a crap about theming all too much. Lol. I am weird in the fact that the wheel assembly or braking/launching system intrigues me more. I guess that's why I am studying to become an engineer.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Well, Great Adventure (and even Magic Mountain) are in a bit of a pickle right now with green lantern. They have permission to use the character from the comics, but aren't allowed to reference to the movie (even going as far as not using the name on their ads)...

Apparently the movie is sponsored by Mt. Dew (a pepsi product)...

The actual 'issue' isn't that complicated. Six Flags can't reference Green Lantern in advertising that also mentions their Coke can promos. That's it. And likely it won't be an issue next year after the movie has been released. Six Flags has no issues with it being Green Lantern but with Coke vs Pepsi marketing.