Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: (TR Added) It's the Texas Freakin' Giant, y'all!  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
(TR Added) It's the Texas Freakin' Giant, y'all!
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »
So me, Matt, and 4 others went to SFoT for Labor Day weekend (Well, Matt went to Houston too).  I went to ride the world's most Amazing coaster (2nd most amazing if you're Matt).

100_2468 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

This was the reason I was there.

100_2464 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Incredible first drop, especially in the back.

100_2457 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

The layout was fantastic.

100_2461 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

And then there were the Sick over banks  ;D.

100_2479 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

La Vibora was kinda fun, but we only rode once.

100_2483 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

$27 well spent

100_2485 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

I was actually very surprised at this.

100_2490 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

My first combo tower.  It was loads of fun.

100_2498 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

My 2nd Freeze.  Love these rides.  There should be more of them.

100_2506 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

This one had the better station.

100_2510 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

This Batman was more intense than the others I've ridden.

100_2522 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Liked Titan.  I loved Goliath when I rode it, but Titan didn't deliver as much.  Still fun, and I greyed out twice.

100_2542 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Say What?!

100_2545 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Went to ride this, but it was down due to wind.

100_2551 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

And then theres Shockwave.  Had some major ejector air in a couple spots.  Loads of fun.

100_2563 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Got soaked on this ride.

100_2589 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Got over my fear of these.

100_2602 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

The station was great at nite.

100_2526 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Our ride for the weekend.  It was super special.

In N Out by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Finally got an In N Out burger credit!

100_2632 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

We went to downtown Dallas.

100_2638 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

The 'infamous' Grassy Knoll.

100_2640 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

The building where Lee Harvey Oswald 'allegedly' shot JFK.

100_2645 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

The spot of a presidential assassination.

100_2655 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

G'bye Dallas!

Actual TR coming soonish.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:35:34 PM by Edwardo »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: It's the Texas Freakin' Giant, y'all!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
I haven't enjoyed a new steel coaster this much since SROS New England, and this owns Supes!

Best steel coaster EVER!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:58:41 AM »
^ and along comes the new one... know what I'm sayin

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »
I haven't enjoyed a new steel coaster this much since SROS New England, and this owns Supes!

Best steel coaster EVER!

This just shows that each person can rate things completely different...  I seriously thought it sucked.  It felt like I was riding on a erector set and the twigs holding it up would snap any moment.  The train shuffled and had a constant thump thump thump thump over tons of the joints that people seem to think it never hits (but it does).  It's better than many rides but no where close to S:ROS in my list.  I'm glad you liked it though since it was a long trip!  Of course Shockwave and Freeze more than made up for it on my trip :).

I'm still looking forward to your review though. Perhaps it was the train I rode, the weather, night vs day, where I sat, etc. so let us know!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
No thumping at every joint for us. It was as smooth as Nitro and crazy fast to the end.  The Voyage is the only woodie I like more than this number 1 steel coaster.  Six Flags should clone this thing. I'd hardly change a thing about it.   

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
More like take every crap wooden coaster and slap this 10 mil treatment on it. Mean Streak, Sob, Rattler, Wilde Beast;)

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
Re: UPDATED It's the Texas Freakin' Giant, y'all!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »
Wade, hate that it wasn't good for you.  It was definitely B&M smooth for us, and gave massive amounts of El Toro type air.  It was the best coaster I've ever ridden.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »
I'll certainly give it another try next time I'm back there on business.  If you both say it's that good then something must have been wrong when I rode it.  Shockwave and Freeze are still amazing and ironically, I liked Titan more than Goliath LOL.  And I happened to ride them just a month or two apart.

Freeze to me was better at SFOT vs St Louis.  You guys feel the same?

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Yeah I'm guessing fluke. I wasn't expecting to be that blown away and the thing gave better rides as the day went on so I can only assume there was some issue when you rode it.

As for Goliath v Titan, it may be a case of nostalgia for Goliath fOr me. I'll get into that with the real TR. And yes. This Freeze was a smidge better.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
Texas Freeze seemed more intense than Missouri Freeze, but it could have been all in my head. 

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
That Mr. Freeze station is very cool. I wish i lived closer to see it in person. Also to ride Texas Giant.  ::)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:40 AM »
0/2 on the freezes

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
First time I rode the Voyage I was like   "is that it"  but as I rode it more and the day went on it got better and better

but it's good its getting good/greet reviews
Yo

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
I know it's a totally different ride but I thought the same about Storm Runner. The first time I rode it I felt that the "you need to ride it about 10 times for it to rub in" statement was true. Second ride I sat in I think the 5th row and it blew me away with ungodly air-time. Even though it had the old Intamin OTSR's they didn't even jab at me while riding through those twists and the double bank hill before the brake run.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:01 AM »
I was actually a little disappointed in my first ride on The Voyage on its opening day, but it soon broke in enough to meet my high expectations. New Texas Giant blew me away on my first ride and every lap after that got better! It's rare that a ride exceeds my expectations on the first lap. 

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
When Six Flags over Texas announced that they were completely redoing the Texas Giant, I was apprehensive.  I hadn’t ridden it, and was hoping that they’d make a once well liked coaster well liked again, but when they announced what they were doing to it, I was kind of worried.  Especially since this was basically now going to be a prototype for the Rocky Mountain track that was being placed on the ride.  Over the course of several months (well, a year, I guess), I watched with anticipation.  I chose not to go to Texas for 2010 as I had planned, and talked about a Texas trip with Matt (AVMatt) to check the ride out.  He loved the original and was very apprehensive as well, but we started to make plans for a decent sized Texas trip for Memorial Day Weekend 2011.  Then we switched it to July 4 Weekend, 2011.  Then we finally decided on Labor Day Weekend because that worked out best for both of us, since I was starting a new job in December 2010 and needed to make sure I had vacation time.

A few months passed and we planned the trip out.  Then one day Matt found a great price on a flight and asked me when I was going to book and if he should go ahead and book his job.  I said sure, because I had planned to book my flight that Friday since it was pay day.  Unfortunately, 2 days after Matt booked his flight, I lost my new job.  This was both a blessing and a curse for me as I spent four very long, very miserable months working for a county that is run very poorly.  It was stressful and I was already looking for another job after only about 2 months in, but that’s beside the point.  I found myself unemployed and with no hope of going to Texas unless I found another job in time and could get off for Labor Day (while giving up on taking Friday or Tuesday off as well).

The summer went by quickly.  Unemployment wasn’t terrible, especially since I was able to draw Unemployment benefits to cover expenses, but that meant that I couldn’t afford to waste money on coaster trip.  Thankfully I had a Carowinds pass, so I didn’t do without coasters all summer, and I’m happy with that.  But in early August, I had a very fast moving situation on my hands, and along with it, a new job (one that I actually enjoy going to every day, and the pay is great too!).  It was time to see what I could pull off in a month.  Texas or no Texas?

I wasn’t going to get Labor Day off because of being new, and a member of the administration team (someone has to be there on holidays), but that was fine.  I cut my portion of the trip to about 2 days.  I booked a flight out on Friday night from Charlotte (CLT) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and decided that Six Flags over Texas would be the only park on the trip.  Matt invited some people, and we let Andy (ApolloAndy) know we would be out there as well.

My flight was delayed 2 hours by a storm with severe lightning, but that was okay.  Better delayed than cancelled, and I ended up getting in to DFW at the same time as Matt.  We took the skylink monorail type ride over to another terminal and then found our way outside and to a shuttle bus to the rental cars.  DFW is HUGE!  Matt checked us in for the rental while I charged my phone, and as we were walking out to the car he said he had a surprise.  At that moment, I noticed a sign showing that Avis had new Camaros available to rent and told Matt that if he rented us one of those I’d love him forever for it.  And he did!  He upgraded us to a canary yellow convertible Camaro.  It.  Was.  SICK!

Matt did a great job in getting the car…but the hotel was much to be desired.  We arrived and met up with his friends Ethan and Tim in the lobby.  They were having room issues (First room had a broken AC, second room was flooded, and third room had the AC unit ripped out of the wall).  Sadly it was late and Labor Day weekend, so it wasn’t the easiest to get another room.  They ended up sharing a room for us for the first nite.  And that’s all I’ll say about the motel.  Next time, I’ll be booking.

We did end up going to Denny’s that nite to eat, and then a ghetto Walmart for supplies, then driving around between Dallas/Fort Worth till around 3am in the Camaro.  Then the next morning came early.  But that’s okay, because we were going to Six Flags.  This was THE Six Flags.  The first.  The Original.  The one I really wanted to go to.  It was also the last of the three original Six Flags parks I’d yet to visit.  And it was worth the wait.

We met up with Kyle in the parking lot and got in to the park a bit before opening before headed directly to the New Texas Giant.  This was it.  It looked incredible.  I had heard great things.  Would it live up to the hype?  There was a small delay in opening but around 10:30 they gave the all clear and pretty soon we were sitting, myself and Kyle in the last seat of the Cadillac style trains.

New Texas Giant-This is probably the best roller coaster I’ve ever ridden.  I didn’t feel that way immediately after getting off, thinking maybe it was #2, but we’ll get into that later.  First off, the ride is simply stunning.  Pulling over the first drop in the back gives major airtime.  The air on the double up and the overbanks was awesome.  There are so many hills that you see coming and realize you’re going to be thrust out of your (very comfy) seats that it’s just insane.  The seats are comfortable, the restraints are great (even if your thighs hurt after riding due to the extreme airtime).  This ride delivers.  It has 3 tunnels, special effects, random fire blasts, and airtime galore.  Granted, this was one of the first trains out, so it hadn’t warmed up for the day, but it really was amazing.  So much so that we immediately got back in line again.  But not before running into Andy, who got in line with us.  By this point the line was about 30 minutes, but it was totally worth it.  Kyle and I sat in the 2nd seat this time, and it was even better in the front.  This ride is amazing, and the violent airtime was even more intense near the front.  Texas Giant is absolutely wonderful.  No one was apprehensive anymore, we just wanted more rides.

So by this point we decided not to stand in line again for Giant, mostly because I needed to ride the other coasters in the park.  The only one not open was Flashback, the boomerang, and I wasn’t in any way saddened by that.  I’ll hit it up next time.  Or not.  But I was excited about every other coaster in the park, so we went to La Vibora next.  The line was rather long.  We got in line, but then debated on if we wanted to pull the trigger on a FlashPass.  Eventually our immoral greedy ways won out and we got a 5 person FlashPass (Andy didn’t feel the need since this was his home park) for $27 a person.  We were kind of  wondering if it’d be worth it at first as we expected the park to be busy, and Texas Giant was only available on the much more premium Platinum FlashPass (at about $100 per person), but once I got the QBot in my hand and realized that even though it was mildly busy with about 30-60 minute waits on rides…FlashPass was only making us wait about 5 minutes till our reservation was ready.

Sure, during the day there were a couple rides here and there that weren’t worth FlashPassing, but it helped out on the lower capacity and more popular rides.  La Vibora ended up being a 10 minute wait.  Of course, we could have waited in the single rider line, but it wasn’t moving very fast.

La Vibora-This was fun.  Better than Disaster Transport, that’s for sure.  It could have been really great, but it was a little rough and jerky.  But boy did some of those banked turns go really high.  I enjoyed it, and loved the inline seating.  First drop was really great, and the middle section was loads of fun.  I just wish it hadn’t been so jerky.

Next I used the Qbot to reserve a ride on Mr. Freeze.  This was the point we realized that all rides were almost immediately available with the Qbot.  The park was busy enough for 20-30 minute waits on the mid to lower capacity rides, so it was definitely worth it for those.  I was excited to ride my 2nd Mr. Freeze in as many years.  This one had a much cooler looking station (no pun intended) that really looked great at nite.

Mr. Freeze-I didn’t ride in the front when we went to Six Flags St. Louis, so that was my goal this time.  Ethan and I sat in the front and I was psyched.  I love Speed in the front, especially the spike at the end, so I was hoping this one would be just as great.  The launch was a little more intense than I remember in St. Louis.  The overbanked turn was a little snappier too.  I took the opportunity to look straight down when we were at the apex of the top hat, which was neat.  Though I always freaked out on the spike on Speed, the spike on Freeze is different in that it has a set of LIMs to push it slowly up to the top of the spike, so there was no “OMG we’re going off the edge” moment.  But the fall back was really great.  I hurt my wrist as I didn’t pull my hands down in time, but the backwards run was just as good.  I still don’t particularly care for being braked while going backwards, though.

Next up we went to Batman.  The Flashpass entrance was down a utility road, around a corner, up some stairs, and thru a door behind the station.  It was weird going back there where it felt like we were in a restricted area.  Kyle sat this one out so Andy could ride with us, and I rode in the 2nd row while the rest of the guys rode in the front.

Batman:  The Ride-This was the most intense BTR clone I’ve ever been on.  I took my flip flops off and I have to say, my feet were tingling from all of the forces.  I like the Batmen rides, even if they aren’t my favorite inverted coaster.  This one was a lot of fun.  First drop, loop, fun 0G roll, loop, and then intensity till the end.  It never gets old.

We had made plans to leave the park and eat at Steak & Shake across the street from the park, but we hit the 2 mine trains before we left.  The Mini Mine Train was cute and fun, with a nice pop of airtime before you hit the station.  Then we went to the world’s first Tubular Steel Coaster.

Mine Train-This was one of the better mine trains.  Nice theming, though I could tell some of it had been left alone and not kept up.  There were some nice lateral forces, some speed, and even some nice airtime.  It uses the 3 lift system like SFoG, and in both cases, it seems they put some thought into at least making the lifts semi-themed and nice looking.

We went over to process our season passes, but they were having issues processing the 2012 season passes, so we dropped our Qbot off as we left the park for lunch.  Steak & Shake was overrun by LSU and Oregon fans as the 2 schools were playing that evening at the Dallas Cowboys stadium.  The park was full of school colors as well.  After lunch we said our goodbyes to Andy.  Kyle went to check in to his (much nicer than ours) hotel, the Hyatt.  We went back over to the park and picked up the Qbot.

When we got back to the park we headed to Titan on our Qbot, but there really wasn’t a line.  I wanted to ride a few times, but we only got one ride in before heading back across the park to meet Kyle.

Titan-I loved Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain.  And this one added an extra helix, so I thought I would like it more than Goliath.  The drop was great, and there was some airtime on the turnaround hill, but I was a little disappointed with the third hill.  On Goliath, it was major ejector air that was great.  There was airtime and speed over the hill on Titan, but to be honest, it wasn’t as good as I remember.  Maybe it’s because I’ve been on much better rides since I rode Goliath.  Regardless, it’s still a solid ride.  I grayed out on both helices.  It’s weird that the mid course completely stops the train, but due to the forces, I guess I see why.

We looked for one of the walkthrough dark rides, but it wasn’t opened, so we headed to the rapids ride instead.  The rapids were fun, and we all got pretty wet.  Kyle and I wanted to head to the top of the Oil Derrick and take photos, but it was closed due to wind, so we went to Shockwave instead.  Would shockwave live up to the hype?

Shockwave-Yes!  I rode in the very back with Kyle.  The first drop was great; the loops were smooth and intense.  After that, there are really odd pops of air.  Some very Phoenix like airtime on the ride, where I came out of my seat a good ways.  I liked it, all the way to the end.  When we got back to the station, no one was waiting for our seat, so we got to ride again.  Bonus!

We sat at the entrance to Shockwave a bit to rest while we waited 5 minutes for our queued time to ride Superman Tower of Power.  This was my first combo tower, where you’re thrust up, bounce, then taken back to the top and dropped.  It was a ton of fun.  We headed back over to Mr. Freeze, and then hit up Pandemonium.  This is my third one of these in two years; they’re fun, but not outstanding.  While in line, we noticed that the cars weren’t spinning a lot.  Tim sat this one out.

Pandemonium-The first drop and wild mouse section was fun, but after we hit the first midcourse brake our car started spinning wildly out of control.  It was great.  It spun fiercely thru the rest of the layout.  We didn’t see anyone else’s car do this while we were in line or after, but we had a great ride on it.  These layouts are a lot of fun if you have a lot of spinning going on.  Otherwise, they’re just okay.

The sun was setting and we were trying to figure out what all else to ride before finishing up on either Giant or Shockwave.  We headed over to Judge Roy Scream, which is outside of the park, kind of.

Judge Roy Scream-Ouch.  From the first drop till the end it was rough and not fun.  We sat in the very back.  The thing had a lot of speed, and would have had some major airtime, but it jackhammered all the way through.  And to think, the rest of the guys said it was running better than it had been.  Not fun.

There was one thing that Over Texas still has that most other parks are getting rid of.  Something that I’ve skipped both trips to Great Adventure…the Parachute Tower.  I’m very afraid of heights, and this is just a bench on a cable with a loose lap bar.  So we got in line for it because since I was with other people, I refused to let this one go.  It was a lot of fun and not scary at all for me.  Usually heights just make me uneasy, but you go up and come down very swiftly.

At this point we headed back over to Mr. Freeze.  By the time we got on it was dark, so we got a night ride, which was again amazing.  There were a couple guys that wanted food, but Matt and I headed to the dark ride.  In the end, the line was too long so we decided to come back on Sunday and ride that and the train and a few other things.

I reserved a nite ride on Titan, but our goal was one nite ride on Texas Giant.  This was an adventure itself because of the line jumping and everything.  For this ride, Matt and I sat up front in the first seat.  Oh My, it was amazing.  The first drop still wasn’t as good in the front, but boy was the airtime out of control.  I was thrust up and forward every time.  Major ejector.  Our thighs hurt.  It was fantastic.  Texas Giant is my new favorite coaster.  El Toro is a close second.  I would love it if I had both of them within an hours drive.

To be honest, I think a lot of the Summers/Dinn mega wooden coasters, and possibly Son of Beast could really benefit from the Rocky Mountain treatment that Texas Giant received.  I don’t want to see it on a lot of classic coasters, which could be great if they were just maintained, but some of the more boring mega wooden coasters that don’t do much could use smoothing out and some reprofiling like Giant received.

Our last ride was Texas Giant as the line was long.  We headed out of the park and all parted ways.  Matt and I got a little lost (again) going back to the motel.  The rest of the guys had plans to go to a Karaoke bar, but I was too sleepy and a little cranky, so I went back and went to sleep, ready to get my last nite in the awful motel over with.

We woke up on Sunday morning and met up with Tim and Ethan.  Kyle was going to Frontier City, so he was out of Dallas.  We went to my first In N Out Burger for brunch.  This was one of the longer lines we were in over the weekend!

In N Out was neat, the food was good, and the place was packed.  Loads of LSU fans also trying out a new place.

We said our goodbyes to Tim and Ethan.  Instead of heading back to the park, with my limited time, Matt and I headed down town to see where JFK was shot.  Matt had been there before when he was very young.

It was rather eerie seeing where this really happened.  There was a decent crowd of people there as well.  We went to both sides of Dealy Plaza, I took pictures, and after about 20 or so minutes, we left.  Downtown Dallas looked nice, I’d love to make it back sometime soon.

So Matt dropped me off at DFW.  I settled into watching the WVU vs. Marshall Game until the rain delay.  The airport was really nice, though.  The ride home was fine, quicker than expected.  We had some heavy turbulence near CLT (That’s Charlotte for those who are Google impaired), but I love turbulence.

So I was glad to have gotten to go to Texas, especially to ride Texas Giant.  Maybe I’ll head down for a full Texas Tour in 2012.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: (TR Added) It's the Texas Freakin' Giant, y'all!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
You will need a full Texas tour soon. You can't do SFoT without doing Schlitterbahn, SFFT, Kemah and Sea World. Steel Eel from what I've heard is a beast for a Morgan made coaster (of course Phantom's @ Kennywood is also Morgan influenced).

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
SFOT itself is worth many trips to Texas.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »
Whats better? SFOT or In-n-Out Burger?

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »
SFoT.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
I've been to many many in n out burgers throughout the country and will gladly say SFOT is better :). Seriously, its a GREAT park!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
Dang thats pretty convincing. George and I went to In-n-Out burger every day when we were in California lol

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
I do every time I'm in LA or San Fran or Salt Lake lol. Yes, good food.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
Animal Style!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »

Images appear as they do.