Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: On-site Hotel  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Neo

On-site Hotel
« on: October 20, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »
To this day I still read threads about people wanting to go to SFGADV but can't find a hotel.  I still here about blueprints  and mini model they have from time to time and wonder why they never went ahead and just built an on-site hotel. Was it the new owners, the billion dollar debt, or was it profitability during the off season.  I still feel Six Flags could and needs some type of onside accommodations.  It would turn day trips into weekends. I only live an hour away and even I think I would stay on property instead of driving home for a second day. The swim up bar near Kinda Ka would have been sweet.   OK, so let's forgot about the hotel for a minute and the parking lot because that's where it would of went. Let's look at possibility through out the park instead.

The first spot  I would build would be across the lake and put in cabins. I say this because I have seen the Boy Scouts camp on that little Island behind the Dolphin show and yes I was jealous. Other areas include the grassy field near Hurricane Harbour. There is plenty of room for a smaller scale hotel like a typical Days-Inn. I also have an Idea to use and build more security towers in the Safari and turn them into rooms for guests. Everytime I drive by one those that's the thought comes to mind. OK, that was about a minute so let's go back to the Grand Hotel.

The Grand Hotel, could be used during the off season for Weddings,  Coporate dinners, functions and of course Sunday Brunch. With the hotel, there could be thoughts about bringing back winter lights and let the park season run longer. People do ride, ride's in the winter. I'm one of them.  Smaller parks like Storybook land can do it  as well as the big ones like Hershey and Dollywood.  Figure out a safe way to enclose part of the water park or heat the water. It would be easy to use the beauty of the park along with the animals and take advantage of what Six Flag's can really offer to the Tri-State area and the locals.   

I understand times are tough in this economy, but with every park getting something new I like the way this new group is headed.  I can honestly say, building an on-site hotel would bring in more revenue and help the economy with more  jobs. A Six Flags Day for everyone !

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Re: On-site Hotel
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
There were plans for a hotel to go in back in 2006-2007. It was going to go in the parking light right in front of Kingda Ka. They went so far as to show plans to Jackson Township to get approval.

The new management came in and the idea went away. Probably for the best, because I never really could understand that location. That doesn't mean the hotel idea is dead though, but hopefully they will come up with a better location.

I definitely agree that there should be a hotel on site, and they would be packed during the season. The other problem is that the season isn't very long, so to make it actually bring in money they would need to come up with things to do at it during the off-season.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
ala Hershey Park and all the events they do to keep money coming in...

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
At the Green Lantern Construction tour I think they asked again about this and it was the same answer
if they find a Hotel Chain to run it and put up most of the cost
but at this time and the economy,seasonal and no takers we will be waiting a long time ???

Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
It's not unreasonable to expect the need to have a chain front the cost.  Aside from Disney, that is nearly always the case.  Six Flags is not in the lodging business and will need a partner to make this happen.

Honestly, as Jerry said, it probably worked out for the best that this didn't happen as originally intended.  Besides the financial problems at Six Flags (this would have been just like building a 30 million dollar coaster they didn't have the money for), the economy completely tanked shortly after.

And in order for this to work, they need year-round revenue.  I suspect a new master plan is in the works to address this such as a indoor water park, convention center, etc.  Assuming they find a new investor willing to front the cost, I personally believe it's only a matter of time before this happens.  Perhaps it would have been sooner had Six Flags not changed hands so many times in the last few years but again, this probably ended up being for the best.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
Remember that Great Adventure is competition to Hershey (who already has this scenario set up and runs practically year round). If Great Adventure was to do this they'd have to compete with hershey for events and other things.

It was for the best 6 years ago but now they have the problem with finding an investor(s) is preventing them from pulling the trigger.

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
It's a good idea, but it would't work in my eyes. They're only open in the Spring, Summer, and the beginning of Fall. To much money to put in and to keep maintaining in my opinion.