Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Stew's 3 Hour Opening Night Trip Report  (Read 3835 times)

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
Stew's 3 Hour Opening Night Trip Report
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:23:31 PM »
Or: Why Not to Bring your Pregnant Wife to GAdv (Even when she insists on going!)

Sooooooo, it's 8pm (Well after 9 now!) and I'm already home.

This is how it goes. 4:40 my buddy finally shows up at my house (He was supposed to be here at 4:30). We hop in the car and meet my pregnant wife at the outlets at 4:55. (Was supposed to be 4:45) We then head on over to the park.

Hmm not much traffic! That's Good! Oh wait... What's that on the bridge? Traffic! So we waited in about 15 minutes of slow moving traffic until we got to the toll booths. What's this? Season Pass Line? Alright! We head on over, and realize most of the people in front of us did NOT have Season Parking. Then when we get up to the line, the attendant takes away my hangtag and give me a sticker to put on my car. A STICKER! (More on this in my upcoming "Stupid Season Parking Changes" Thread.)

So we drive on through, and see that there is no Season Pass Preferred Parking, so we are directed into a 1/4 full lot. We are directed to our spot (Nice! Much More organized) and get out. We then make our way to the park.

Before the gate we see a (Scary) lady on stilts, and she says "This is the VIP entrance" to us while pointing between her stilted legs... No Comment. We also see a guy in a Safari Outfit chasing people around. Pretty fun for the kids!

At the gate, we had my Season Pass, a free ticket with my wife's name, and a second free ticket with my name, for my buddy. We had him go first, and they take the paper, scan it and are about to let him through when they say, "Oh I need to see your ID". So I show her my ID and say, it was in my name, but he is using it. She said "Ok" and let us all through around 5:20.

So where to first? Kingda Ka of course! (My buddy is a KK Newbie!) We weave through the multiple layers of camera toting park employees. (Note to all - Divide and Conquer! They Can't take pictures in two directions!) So off to Ka we go, at a slow pace because of my wife. We get to the GK, and leave my wife at the bathrooms, and We head on into the same queue as last fall. The guard said the wait was 30min! Nice!

As we get into the station without a wait, we hear the unfortunate words "Kingda Ka is experiencing minor technical difficulties". So we wait. 5-10 min later, they are launching again, and we move to the back train of the right side. (They were running 3 trains, Gak & CPBeatIt on the right, and Schoolbus Badunkadunk on the right. No sign at all of Blueberry Muffin, must be in the maintenance shop)

We wait and wait, through another short breakdown, and move on up to row 2. We will be the third train to go. Then there is another breakdown, about 20-30min this time, and after the workers "diligently" worked to fix it, and then cycling an empty train or two, they are running trains again. A few runs, restraint problems requiring resets, and we are on! Row Two, Gak Train!

So we roll out, CPBeatIt launches in front of us, and we then move forward. And we wait. And wait. 5 more minutes and we hear the horn. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! We got a nice 2-3 pulse launch and were flying down the track! The launch seemed to end a little earlier than I remember, but it has been 6 months so I could be wrong! Up Up Up, and Down Down Down! My buddy loved it!

So we roll back into the station (very fast mind you), and the train stops and we get out to hear "We are sorry but Kingda Ka is experiencing minor technical difficulties". Ha! That sucks!

Then I hear "Hey Stew!" I turn around, and there is a long haired, "Sxy" guy with dueling lip rings... It can only be "SxyDan"! So I yell "Hey Dan!" and we are wisked out of the station. I would try to meet up with everyone later.

So we start walking toward the boardwalk, and see a HUUUUUUUUGE season pass line. I mean I've NEVER seen it this big. It basically went all the way to at least the Parachute Drop! We then decide we wnat chicken fingers, so we head on over to the "Outpost Grille" (Is that right?) On our way, my wife starts feeling some pains in the baby region, so we stop and sit down for a few minutes. She gets better and we decide to head on over the rest of the way to the food.

We get seats at a table and my friend and I head up for some food. A few people in, we order, and they hand us our trays and say "Thank you". Ummm, Don't they want my money? Apparently, the computers were down and the food was free! I shoulda made it a double order!

Midway through my food, (around 7:20) I see an orange jersey go by! I'm like wait a second... And then I hear "Hey Robb wait up!" - Yup - I saw Yanks2Jets walk on by, but didn't have a chance to say "hi". Again, figured I'd meet up later on.

We enjoy our food, and my wife starts to feel better, but once we start walking again, this time toward the other side of the park, the pains return. Worried for her, we all decide that we will call it a night at 7:40. Better safe than sorry, and it's not like we paid for the tickets.

So there's my measly trip report. I had big plans of meeting lots of people, but unfortunatly, I got to have a passing "hey" to SxyDan and that was it. As I type, my wife is now, MUCH more comfortable laying on the couch, rather than walking around the park.

A few additional observations:
El Toro is sick looking! I can't wait! They were actually doing a little work on it tongiht.
No sign of B:TC running. Robin was cylcing when we came in, but we never made it over to that side of the park.
Characters EVERYWHERE. Looney Toons and Superheros! I saw Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Taz, Bugs, Daffy, etc.
Good Streetsmosphere Characters as well!
The Park looked pretty good, but nothign Jumped out at me. I didn't really have time to get a good look around, but what I saw, was pretty good. (I'll be going back tomorrow morning)
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »
They didn't open the parking lot until around 4:45 PM....Kind of odd.

I too wondered why they took my nice 2006 hanging tag.  And then the cashier handed me a sticker....Uggh!!  And it sticks on the outside of your driver side window!

I got the 4th front row launch on Kinga Ka of the Season...Got back in line for a second try and heard the infamous "Experiencing minor technical dificulties message".  You know what that means....time to go to another ride.

Met up with a friend who never rode Kinga Ka before so we got in line again.  They said 2-3 hour wait....And it actually took 2.5 hours.

So I'd have to say... No they did not fix Kinda Ka during the off season.  What you got last year is the same thing you will get this year.  Expect to wait.  It just would be nice if they actually told you what was wrong...

And the DJ at Nitro was extremely annoying.  Hopefully they won't have him around all season.

What do you expect for the first night of the season....

Now the wait for El Toro begins!!!

Offline sir clinksalot

• Autobahn
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 12:31:34 AM »
The problems with KK may have been because it's still getting broken in for the season. I'd wait for a few weeks to see how it's doing.

Glad you had fun ... kinda.  :P
- Gregg

See my photo album here:

http://greggandkristi.smugmug.com/

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 10:36:11 PM »
Been there Stew.  I totally know what you are going through lol  twice actually.  No biggie.   Sometimes I like just getting to walk in and see the place anyway.  It isn't always about getting on the rides.  Hopefully she is doing better now and will hold off walking the park until you REALLY want that little guy to pop out ;)

We'll have to setup another meet later.

As for Ka, it actually seemed to be running the entire time I was there today from 2:30ish until closing.  I was surprised actually because it was quite windy once that storm passed through.

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »
Heh, yeah she is doing much better today. It was all the walking, she just wasn't up to it!

So to make up for it, I decided to hit the park up this morning for a few hours!

Had a great time, got Walk-ons for RMT, Nitro Back Seat, and Chiller:Robin (I decided to wait the three trains for the front).

Wow, RMT is MUCH better now, I still don't LOVE the new restraints, but they are 1000% better than the old ones. Who knew RMT had airtime?

Also, Chiller:Robin was Haulin today! Last year I remember it being a letdown after riding KK, but today it was a kick in the pants!

And Nitro? What can I say? To me it is still the best (operating) ride in the park!

The REAL reason I went to the park today was for pictures and to use my new camera (Sony DSC-H1)

Well here are the ones I took today: Stew560's Flickr

And a Little taste:

If anyone is interested I have them all in their 2592x1944 Glory. (These are all 800x600 until I get Flickr Pro)
View My Pictures!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 10:53:56 PM »
Those are amazing shots!  btw- I think I might be passing that picture of Nitros station along.  Thats pretty bad.  Actually, its awlful.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »
^The ghetto station of Nitro's is legendary though. Have you seen Goliath's(SFoG), now that is a sleek station.

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 11:09:08 PM »
Be my guest! The rust is just looking horrid. It wouldn't be so bad if just the sign was rusted, that could give it character, but he stains running down are the bad part.
View My Pictures!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »
I've pointed that out before about Nitro's sign,  but like Stew said,  a lot of people think that the Rust gives it some character.

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 01:05:17 AM »
Ok, A real TR for Saturday!

Day 2: 2 Hours of Bliss!

So I had grand plans of waking up early and getting there for the rope drop at 8am. BAH! I opened my eyes to see the clock at 8:05 and was like...oh well. I rolled out of bed and eventually got in the shower, and managed to get to the park by 9.

I arrive at the toll plaza and go right to the Season parking line. I roll up, point to my sticker (which I decided to tape to the inside of my rear window) and they wave me through! I hope this stays an acceptable policy, because I am really against the idea of a sticker on one car. Anyway...

I pull in and they direct me to a parking spot again. I REALLY like this system. It keeps the parking organized. My only complain here is that there is no special Season Pass Parking area like last year when they let us park in the Preferred Lot. And let me tell you, even when I left the Preferred Lot was 75% empty.

Anyway, My main reason for coming to the park today was to take pictures. So I whip out my camera and I am ready to start snapping.

I make my way into the park, and easily through security. (Everyone was VERY friendly today!) I then head on back to El Toro. I wanted to get some pics of this thing! On my way, I take a few pics here and there of the Streetmosphere Actors and Characters.

Then I see it. For the first time Up close in daylight, the beast, El Toro! Wow! What a sight! I took a bunch of pics of this thing, It just kept working it for the camera!

Then I decided to head on over to the Bridge for a few more pics, where I ran into "Psycho4SixFlags". We talked for a bit and he was off to RMT, and then I hit up Medusa for some pics.

After getting a few good shots of Medusa (Including one with Psycho4SixFlags on it!) I headed over to RMT. Coming off RMT was David Jr. I stopped to talk for a bit and then headed up to the station.

Wow! What a difference the new restraints make! I do feel they don't fit right on me, as they fall a little higher on my belly, rather than my lap, but they are 1000% better than the old ones! So off we roll onto the ride. I was alone in the back row, and there were only a few people in the front of the train. (Did I mention how dead the park was?) RMT really shocked me! It was still a little rough in parts, but who knew it had Airtime! Especially the drop out of the MCBR and the Drop Towards the lake! Plus, I love the new paint job! It goes VERY well with the trains!

So after RMT, I decided to head on over to BBNP for some pics. As I got over there I noticed that nearly all the rides were open! I grabbed a couple pics of the Balloons (That looks like fun! I'll be on it in a few years with  my little one!), Airplanes, and Conestoga Wagons.

After BBNP I headed back up toward the GK, stopping again at the ET site to grab a few more pics. There I ran into another enthusiast who I heard talking about what he heard on the internet. Me being me, introduced myself and we chatted about El Toro for a bit. His wife, mentioned that he spends all his time online trying to find out information on El Toro. I found that a little funny! ;)

After ET, I headed further into the GK for some pics of the Tigers and then, around 10am people started flowing toward KK for it's opening. I had noticed it cycling earlier, but decided to avoid it as I got my ride in last night.

I headed over to the Boardwalk, and noticed that the SP line was much shorter this morning, as well as the new cables sitting next to ErUPtion. I then decided to head on over to the other side of the park for the first time this season.

So after a walk down to the lakefront and across that to Skull Mountain, I took a gander over by Batman and grabbed a couple of shots, then I noticed the empty stairwell on Nitro! Score! So I headed over there for a walk-on Back Row, Right Seat ride! Plus I spotted CoasterSue there and gave her a "Hi" as her train was leaving the station. Nitro was smooth and wonderful as ever!

After Nitro, I headed on over towards Freefall and Chiller. I grabbed a pic of the ">45<" in front of Freefall, and then took some pics of Chiller. What? Empty rows? DOUBLE SCORE! So I headed on in the queue. The attendant at the gate wanted to check my height, so I limbo'd under it! (At least they are trying to have fun!)

Chiller's queue had the sound effects working, but the theming in the queue (The Lights outside) looked like garbage. It was broken, and just looked bad. Inside the queue, the walls were repainted (again) so no graffiti. Then once inside the station, I noticed NO WAIT! I look at the front row and it was only 3 train wait! So I head on over there.

Then a funny thing happened. There was this couple in front of me, must have been about 17 years old. Then Chiller Launches, and the guy flips out. "OH NO WAY! I AIN'T GOIN' ON THAT!" The girl and I just started laughing. She tried calming him down, and then I said to him "Hey, once you do this, you can do Kingda Ka!" He was all "Not a chance!" Once he finally got on the ride, and came back, he was real funny! He was happy and scared all at the same time!

Anyway, I got on the front and it was Hella Sweet! I forgot how much fun that one is up front! Great Hangtime, and great view! And the lapbars, I love them so much. I know they are nothing new, but they still are the best thing that ever could have happened to that ride!

So with that, it was 11:00 and I had to head out to meet my wife. I start heading out, and decided I wanted a Churro. I headed over to the stand near Houdini and waited as the Taiwanese employee figured out how to count change for 5 minutes for the couple in front of me. I then ordered my Medium Orange Soda and Churro, paid and was out of there!

After walking to my car I headed over to the construction area, and that's when I got a few more pics before heading out.

Overall Saturday was a much better day for me. I got the pics I was looking for, and the rides were an extra bonus!

As I posted before you can view my pics here: Stew560's Flickr

Thanks for reading! And I'll see you at the park!
View My Pictures!