Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Shooed from shelter during storm  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
Shooed from shelter during storm
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
APP: Six Flags customer says she was shooed from shelter during storm

Why?  Just why?  I'll let the goose killing go, but this is uncalled for. 
If the storm lasted 2 hours after closing they should have kept the cafe open for guests.

You can expect some thrills at Hurricane Harbor, but the chills Stafford resident Stephanie Chirichillo experienced during a recent visit were unwelcome.
Chirichillo, her two children, ages 11 and 13, and eight friends went to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Jackson a month ago, the first day of the water park’s season. It was a day that intense thunderstorms rattled across Ocean County.  “The storm came up so quickly that my party and I had barely had time to gather together before we were in the midst of some serious cloud-to-ground lightning,” said Chirichillo, a season-pass holder.  The group took shelter at Aquatopia, the park’s food concession. But the staff tried to shoo them out, Chirchillo said, telling the group they were closing.  “We were only seeking shelter from a very dangerous storm,” Chirichillo said.  Taking the safety of her children very seriously, Chirichillo said she held her ground for as long as she could in the cafe. “Six Flags gave no regard to keeping its patrons safe during that storm, nor did they show any remorse when they eventually shoved us out the door,” she said.

Chirichillo contacted Press on Your Side, upset about the actions of the park’s employees and concerned about its safety during storms. She said she regretted her decision to purchase more than $300 worth of season passes and wanted a refund as well.

Press on Your Side got in touch with Six Flags about Chirichillo’s experience and inquired about the park’s policies during a lightning storm.

“Safety is our No. 1 priority, and our policy is to invite guests to remain indoors during any storm,” said Kristin Siebeneicher, a Six Flags spokeswoman. “This is our policy in the theme and water parks, and on many occasions we’ve been commended for taking such good care of our guests during storms.”  Siebeneicher said the park understands Chirichillo’s concern and will refund the cost of her season passes, but keep them active in case she decides to visit the park again.  “We truly regret that she was left with a negative impression of the park and of our customer service and we would like to prove to her and her family that what she experienced was a true anomaly,” she said.

Chirichillo said a Six Flags representative contacted her and assured her that she would “champion my concerns. I felt she heard my concerns and will try to address them.” 
So what does Six Flags say happened that day?  The food service supervisor was there at the time of the storm and there were many guests inside the restaurant, Siebeneicher said. “She had to exit the building to assist outdoor food carts during the storm, so she did not see what transpired after she left.”  Siebeneicher said park officials could not speculate so “we always side with the guest. Our goal is always guest satisfaction.”

Stafford resident Michael Hemenway, his wife and children took shelter inside the concession to escape the storm. “We said we don’t want any food. We just want to stay here and wait the storm out,” said Hemenway, a friend of Chirichillo.  But the staff tried to get them to leave, he said. “They were adamant.”  “The bottom line is I wasn’t moving. My kids were not moving,” Hemenway said. “We were not leaving unless the Marines came.”

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Shooed from shelter during storm
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »
Wow. Just wow.  I'm really glad they did the right thing afterwards though.  Very interesting that this involved the foods department...

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: Shooed from shelter during storm
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
WOW I am also glad they did the right thing but I would not have moved at all . I would have asked for a manager . Those storms were really bad that day we were suppose to go that day and didnt as my son was sick . Boy am I glad we were not there !