Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Safari Off Road Adventure & Big Wave Racer Announced!  (Read 6579 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Safari Off Road Adventure & Big Wave Racer Announced!
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:24:33 AM »
Coming in 2013!

Safari Off Road Adventure

Get ready to go on an exotic off-road adventure

In 2013, New Jersey’s Six Flags Great Adventure entertainment complex will undergo its most dramatic transformation in 13 years as the 160-acre theme park and 350-acre Wild Safari animal park unite as one property to become the world’s largest theme park. The mega-park, will introduce the new, one-of-a-kind, themed attraction — Safari Off Road Adventure. At Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, water-thrill seekers will challenge a massive, new slide complex — Big Wave Racer.

Boasting 1,200 animals from six continents (including lions, tigers, rhinos, and many more), Safari Off Road Adventure will take you on the most intense, up-close animal experience of your life. First you will enter the amazing, fictional world of the Wilds Family, who have traveled the globe to bring the most interesting and exotic creatures to their home in Jackson, New Jersey. Once through the rustic loading station filled with artifacts from the Wilds’ global journeys, you will hop onto a rugged, open-air, Safari vehicle with 34 other explorers to begin your wild adventure.

Skilled, informed drivers will drive you off-road and up close to the animals as they splash through ponds, climb hills, cross bridges and venture over rugged terrain.

“Never before have guests been able to experience a journey so close to that of a true African safari here in the U.S.,” said John Fitzgerald, park president. “By combining the world’s most exotic animals with Six Flags’ signature entertainment, the Safari Off Road Adventure will be the most incredible animal adventure anywhere. Where else can you ride a wave, go on safari, and soar on world-record breaking coasters?”

When the Wild Safari closes its gates for the 2012 season September 30, it will undergo a massive renovation this winter that includes a redesign of various simulated natural habitats and the creation of Camp Aventura.

Camp Aventura will be the main stop along the off-road excursion. Here you will get to see some of the Wild family’s favorite animals up-close, and even hand-feed or pet them. You can also choose to fly through the air high above the animals on a new zip line for an additional fee.

Safari Off Road Adventure is included with general theme park admission and season passes in 2013, and will be accessible via the Frontier Adventures section of the theme park. Through September 30, 2012, guests will be able to drive their own vehicles through the Wild Safari for the very last time in the park’s 38-year history.

“This is a monumental change for the Wild Safari and our guests,” said Dr. Bill Rives, safari director and chief veterinarian. “For nearly 40 years, people have dreamed of more up-close animal experiences with fewer boundaries, and now we can truly deliver a VIP experience to each and every one of our guests — and it’s included in their theme park admission.”

Safari Off Road Adventure is slated for a Memorial Day weekend debut in 2013.

You can also find a video At this link!

Also coming is another water slide at Hurricane Harbor - Big Wave Racer!

Big Wave Racer Will Hit Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in 2013

On the heels of the new King Cobra water slide addition, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will unveil another massive slide complex in 2013.  Big Wave Racer will send riders barreling head-first down multiple lanes on an aero-dynamically-designed water toboggan.  After climbing four stories, they will rocket down several steep drops stretching 1,800 feet before crossing the finish line in a splash of glory.

Big Wave Racer is slated for a summer 2013 opening and will be the eighth slide complex at Hurricane Harbor, pushing the number of thrill slides to more than 25.  The 45-acre park also features a million-gallon wave pool, a half-mile lazy river and a large children’s water playground.

Here is the press release for both!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:28:15 AM by jglonek »

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
Re: Safari Off Road Adventure & Big Wave Racer Announced!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »
To give everyone a quick breakdown of the press release:

- The attraction IS INCLUDED with park admission!
- The entrance to the attraction will be in Frontier Adventures. Where? We aren't sure. Let's hope nothing (Bizarro) is being removed for this!
- You will be traveling on large covered off-road trucks (as pictured) with tour guides.
- The attraction will be themed to the fictional world of the Wilds Family, who have brought all the animals to the park
- The Safari will undergo massive rehab over the winter to redesign habitats (I hope there will be massive theming done!)
- Camp Adventura will also be built, and is the main stop for the  attraction. You can get up close and feed animals
- There will be an up-charge zip-line ride at Camp Adventura!

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »
I wonder if the safari trucks are gas, diesel, or natural gas/propane.
I believe Disney's trucks run on Propane for a very good reason.

Anyone else notice the lack of anything themed DC Comic in any of the announcements.
Not that I was expecting the Batman Safari (Catwoman on your left.)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »
I wondering that myself. With that said, when compared to the number of gas powered vehicles going through daily, even gas powered trucks would be a huge improvement for everyone. I'd bet alternative fueled conversions cost most up front but would be cheaper to run in the long term so it will be interesting to see what they end up doing.

I'm still not sure abou this and will have to wait and see. My other hope is they are perhaps doing MANY other off-season projects at the same time?  This would be the year to do it when it wouldn't get lost in the newest greatest thrill ride talk.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
As with any change this is going to be a wait and see thing . I love the idea and I say idea because well sometimes things are just better sounding then they actually turn out to be . I am HOPEFUL that it is just as good as it sounds or better . We like going to the safari here and Kilimanjaro in WDW is wonderful . I would HOPE that this is just as good as Kilimanjaro if not better .

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
The way it's being advertised it sounds better. Let's just hope they're actually incorporating terrain into this instead of just making the trucks drive the current safari road...

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
I like ...they want it to feel like a african safari
Yo

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
It should be pretty good. The wild Safari is much larger than the thing at Disney and they have a lot more animals. I think this is a great idea and its good to see that the ending of the drive-thru is because they are replacing it with something far better.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »
this way you don't have to leave the park to do the Safari
And its a FAMILY RIDE
Looks like they will re-grade much of the areas that these Trucks will traverse
I like that the trucks will go through shallow ponds/water and other areas

I think this is a great Idea but they have to THEME it up
this can change the park in a big way
Yo

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »
Just hope it isn't upcharged... Please dear amusement lord don't let this be upcharge...

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
It's stated in the press release that it is not an up charge.

Safari Off Road Adventure is included with general theme park admission and season passes in 2013

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
the only Upcharge will be a ZIPLNE   thats at a stop along the way.
I sure its a stop where you can get off and buy/watch/do the zip line then catch another Truck for the remainder of the trip?

Yo

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »
Take a look at where the new entrance is located...
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2012/08/wild_safari_to_get_a_winter_ma.html

\(^_^)/
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
Am I missing something?  I see a bunch of photos in a sideshow but nothing shows a entrance?  I'm curious how long they can hold the largest theme park title to. As it is, I'm not sure I the exact size but animal kingdom is over 500. So if gadv is bigger, it's literally by just a few. And with avatar coming, that title will be gone soon anyway :(.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »
I think he means on the aerial map.

Park visitors will enter the preserve near the log flume and the arena, instead of from the current, separate gateway for Wild Safari.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
That's the one Jerry. Wade, this will make Great Adventure 10 acres bigger than Animal Kingdom...until Avatar is done. If Great Adventure wanted to start up a "Safari Wars" with Disney (which, IMO, would be hilarious and awesome), they could put up a big fight. The border of the safari on the bottom-right is right up against Reed Rd., but I believe the park owns more land running along the road back to the intersection that's out frame. Plus there's land near the current entrance and exit that now can become available, as well as over by the Harbor. It wouldn't be wise for GA to go after that necessarily, but it would be fun!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
That's the one Jerry. Wade, this will make Great Adventure 10 acres bigger than Animal Kingdom...until Avatar is done. If Great Adventure wanted to start up a "Safari Wars" with Disney (which, IMO, would be hilarious and awesome), they could put up a big fight. The border of the safari on the bottom-right is right up against Reed Rd., but I believe the park owns more land running along the road back to the intersection that's out frame. Plus there's land near the current entrance and exit that now can become available, as well as over by the Harbor. It wouldn't be wise for GA to go after that necessarily, but it would be fun!

If I remember right Great Adventure still has the majority of the property that didn't get touched from when Warner Leroy was starting the park up back in 1974.