Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Fright Fest Starts Tonight!  (Read 3941 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Fright Fest Starts Tonight!
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
This is just a reminder that Fright Fest starts tonight! Let us know what you think of the events this year!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Fright Fest Starts Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »
I know Ken was there tonight so hopefully he got through a few before the rain kicked in. The haunt on the peninsula under the log flume looked like it would be really good so I can't wait to hear back.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »
I tweeted that the fog smelled like Johnny Rocket's fryers.

I was there tonight, the actors roaming around were actually doing a great job scaring people. Not the greatest haunting I've experienced but for an amusement park it was not that bad. Couldn't do the terror trails because of lines and the storm that rolled in, which basically was like Armageddon when it hit.

NOTE: ALL coaster lines were above 45 minute waits except Bizarro, so that shows it's still not getting any love. Special effects were actually working for once though.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
They definitely step Fright Fest up a notch this year.
The areas that were some what sparse in the past few years now have plenty of scare actors.

By far my favorite haunt was Insanity: Gears of the Mind. 
The actor makeup and scenes were far above what I expected.
Keep a look out for the roach girl..she has something special to show you!
And the gutting room also has a nice surprise.

Next up would be the Manor.  The closed tight spaces is the idea here.
You might get a good meal in the kitchen!  Anyone for some pot roast.
Some great uses of misdirection here.

Wasteland is all about camouflage and lighting. 
Often you can't see a thing and it is easy to get disoriented.
The is corn/hay section is bigger this year.

Ok...now onto the Voodoo Island.
Voodoo Island became Gilligan's Island in the middle of my walk-though. Monsoon!
I think I was the last group they let in before closing it down.
It was cool to be back in that area..but it was just way too open.
When I think Voodoo Island I think pitch black darkness.
Having a voodoo actor just standing next too a huge boiling pot? 
(Seed an actor in the crowd..grab them and throw them in!)
In all fairness the scare actors were probably all worried about the pending storm.

My favorite Fight Fest attraction was kind of a surprise to me.
Haunted Wagon Spells is not scary just very well done.
It reminded me of the Jungle Cruise at Disney.  Each guide gave you a different slightly differnet expereince.
Hopefully this is what we will be seeing in the safari next year!

- The clowns is in a smaller area between the games area.  And there is a psycho clown this year that could give Ghoul Master a run for the Fright Fest Crown!
- Zombie pirates galore by the lake front.  Thank you for not making it one way this year.
- Sea Lion show...lets say the seals did not co-operate. Not very good.

This years prices: (See attached photo)
Terror Trail Season Pass $25 combo might be the right choice for season pass holders.
It does get expensive pretty quickly.

They park was very crowded..people seem to love this stuff.
If it is this crowded this early in the season..wait until October!
It makes me wonder if there would be a draw for a haunt attraction all year long.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:46:33 AM by Ogolo »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Awesome overview Ken.  Thanks!  Although the upcharges suck, I'm glad to see them offering so many options.  And if you think about it, this allows for a way to offer a upgraded experience without clearing the park for a seperate ticketed event like Disney, Universal and Busch do.  I hope to make it back at least one more time this year so I'm curious how things go once the scareactors are more comfortable with their roles and hopefully better weather to see if that impacted your visit.  Overall, it didn't sound half bad!

Offline vinnyv07

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
Although I don't want to see Dorney get very crowded, if you want a good Haunt, that's the place to get it. All of the trails are free with admission. Some of the trails are long and very scary. They have a corn maze that takes about 20 mins to walk through. They also have a graveyard walkthrough that is tops. I went to preview night at Great Adventure and only did one walk through because it was free. I wouldn't want to pay per walkthrough but if you have a season pass, it's worth it to get the season pass scare for 25 bucks. I'm going back because I do love the whole scare thing but for a real scare I'm driving to Dorney. They are opened to midnight also.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
The number of people in the park makes a high ratio of scare actors quite difficult.  They may be there but you don't notice them because of the crowds.  So I have no problem with them putting them in the haunts where they will be noticed.

The funniest thing I find is how on edge some people are.  People often got startled by me quietly walking behind them in the park.

And then you have the boyfriend who is trying to show his girlfriend how tough he is by trying to scare the actors before they get to them.  Almost as bad as the screaming girls.

People watching is half the fun!

The most frightening thing that evening was the parking lot emptying after the rain storm.  Lets say I was happy I had to park far away!