Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Knott's Berry Farm 12/17/2012  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
Knott's Berry Farm 12/17/2012
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
I had gone back and forth on what day I wanted to drive out to L.A. and hit up some coasters. After checking on line, everyone said that it would be a busy week, especially the weekend. I was going to go on Sunday and meet up with someone, but they weren’t feeling well, so I pushed it back to Monday, hoping it wouldn’t be busy.

I woke up and headed out from Vegas around 6am. Stopped for gas and a Red Bull, and actually made it to Knott’s Berry Farm around 10:30, and that’s with traffic. Passed by 2 overturned vehicles and two tire blowouts on the way.

I flashed my Platinum Pass at the gate to park and headed to the front of the park. It didn’t look to be too busy at this point, and I was only planning on staying at Knott’s for about 2 hours. Unfortunately, my pass wouldn’t scan at the front gate, so I had to get a comp ticket, but that didn’t take very long.

Once inside, I was reminded of how much I love Knott’s Berry Farm. It’s such a charming, clean, and beautiful park. I headed over to my first credit. At this point, the midways were all but abandoned. There were people there, but not a lot.

Sierra Sidewinder-I wasn’t really looking at more than a credit run for this. Both trains were running, but they were only loading one, and the wait was maybe 6 or 7 minutes. I sat facing backwards in the front car by myself, with 2 larger guys sitting in the same care facing forward. I REALLY liked this ride! I was surprised at how well I liked it. Some fun laterals, a bit of airtime, and great spinning action. Everyone on the ride seemed to enjoy it as well. I went in not expecting much, but this was actually a really fun ride, and a great way to start my day.

I toyed with riding again but didn’t. I wanted to ride Gr8 Skate, since I rode its big brother the nite before at the Stratosphere, but passed. Instead, I went to see if my second favorite inverted coaster was still my second favorite inverted coaster.

Silver Bullet-Many people don’t care for this ride, but I love it. I sat in the front, the best place on any inverted coaster. The drop was still really good, and the layout is a lot of fun, with odd airtime on an inverted coaster, and strong laterals thru the helix. I love the overbanked turn, and like that the layout is different from most other B&M inverts. Plus the setting is quite nice as well. And yes, it's still my 2nd favorite Inverted coaster.

I walked back thru the park with my camera. I was going to ride the Log Flume, but didn’t feel like waiting once I got to the line. It probably wasn’t that long of a wait, but it was the longest line I saw all day. Instead, I went to ride one of the best coasters in southern California.

Xcelerator-On my last visit, I still wore Rx glasses to see. Obviously you can’t wear them on any ride at Knott’s, and without them, I couldn’t see a thing. Now that I don’t need glasses anymore, I could finally see while riding. They were only running one train, and there was no wait for anything but the front. I decided to hit the back first. Xcelerator still packs a punch when launching, but I forgot how great the overbanked turns on that thing were. After riding, I ran right back around and waited for the front. Still not sure why Knott’s chose to group the whole first car into one queue. Everyone wanted to ride in the very front, so the 2nd row was going out empty. I missed my chance at riding with another single rider, so I had about a 20 minute wait for the front. Had I realized that, I would have jumped in the second seat, but oh well. It ate up some time, but little did I know my day would go well enough that I didn’t need to worry.

I toyed with riding MonteZooma and Jaguar, but figured I’d try on my way out. I wanted to do Windseeker, but it was closed all day (I’m trying to complete my full set!). So I headed over to the only other credit I knew I could get that day, since I’m too tall for the kiddy coaster.

Pony Express-This was definitely a different seating arrangement. I sat in the front. The restraints reminded me of a Disk-O (obviously). The launch was fun and the layout, while basic, was really neat. Got some decent airtime on the hill before the tunnel. It’s a nice family ride, and I’m glad that Knott’s has invested in some family rides, which seems to be carrying over to 2013 as well.

I had never got the chance to do Mystery Lodge on my last visit, so I just caught that while walking by. It was a neat experience, but I didn’t realize that it and the pre-show were going to take so long. On the one had, I’m glad I finally got to do it, especially if it ever ends up on the chopping block (and lets face it, how often do I get to Knott’s?), but wish I’d have hit it up on my first visit when I had tons of time to do everything. Oh well.

Because I didn’t know how my day would go, and because I waited for the front row of Xcelerator, and because I did Mystery Lodge, I skipped eating anything at the park and headed over to Ghostrider before heading out. With hindsight being 20/20, I know I could have hit up Jaguar and Monte, but I didn’t, and I don’t really regret that a lot. I do regret not eating sooner, but I’ll get to that in the next trip report. Alas, I did head over to Ghostrider. Everyone says it sucks. They usually say that, but I loved it in 2005. I knew it stopped on the MCBR now. How would I like it?

Ghostrider-I sat in the back of the train. The first drop is still really great. This was my first daytime ride ever. Honestly? I thought it was a killer ride. Even with the almost complete stop on the mid course, the second half was still out of control. I don’t know if I just caught it on a good (great?) day, or if I’m just weird, but I loved my ride. Didn’t have a chance for a second, and maybe that’s good, but thus far, I really still like Ghostrider.

So I headed out. The morning had been beautiful. I was glad it was fairly dead at the park, and that I didn’t need to buy a Fastlane, which I was prepared to do. As I was leaving, it started to cloud up. I guess I left just in time, I know how notorious Knott’s is when it rains. All in all, I had a great 2.5 hour visit to one of my favorite parks. Too bad its across the country!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Re: Knott's Berry Farm 12/17/2012
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Good to hear GR is still an awesome coaster. I miss Knott's a lot, and keep toying with the idea of doing DL, SFMM, and Knott's in June when I visit Vegas...

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
Re: Knott's Berry Farm 12/17/2012
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
So here are some Pix.

100_0199 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Arriving at a very empty Knott's Berry Farm.

100_0200 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

This park was so much like a Paramount Park, but with better, cohesive theming.

100_0202 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Love me some Silver Bullet.

100_0203 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

I wanted to try this, but it was loaded and not running.  Meh, I rode one that hung 800' off the side of a building earlier.

100_0204 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

My first credit of the trip, and quite a surprise.

100_0208 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Silver Bullet was up next.

100_0210 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

One of the best coasters in SoCal.

100_0212 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Its so small compared to Mine.

100_0214 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Mmmmm...Goodness...

100_0224 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

The next credit up for grabs.

100_0231 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Sadly their Windseeker was down.

100_0233 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

So there's going to be some flats and a coaster here next year.  That's good.  But I am glad I got the Plunge credit.

100_0235 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

People can trash talk all they want, I like it.

100_0236 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

I like that you can get such good pix of the ride.

Knott's Berry Farm 2012 by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Xcelerator Panorama.

This was a cute little ride.  It's good for what it is, a family launched coaster.

Aside from the stop on the MCBR, the ride was running great.

Untitled by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

And I'll leave you with this shot of a good coaster.

More pictures Here.