Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: TR: Coastermania 2013  (Read 9311 times)

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
TR: Coastermania 2013
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
I’d never been to Coastermania.  Every year I think about it, but it conflicts with Holiwood Nights, which I usually go to every other year, and then in the ‘off’ years for that, I’ve usually been busy around that time doing other things.  This year I planned for Coastermania, though, because I really like Cedar Point, and I wanted to try Gatekeeper.
So I left work 2 hours later than I’d wanted to on Thursday evening, leaving the Charlotte area around 6pm.  The drive to Huron, where I had a room, was long.  Really long.  And it just felt like it was never ending.  Getting stuck in roadwork and traffic at different times didn’t help at all.  Eventually, though, I made my way up to northern Ohio and got to the Motel 6 I’d reserved a room in around 2:30 in the morning.  I usually use Hotwire to reserve a room and always get a decent deal, but rooms for Sandusky were quite a bit higher than I wanted to pay for (Especially for the star rating).  I ended up booking $49 at Motel 6 only because I’ve heard it was clean and close.  It was.  In fact, it seems Motel 6 is renovating its rooms and going for a more post-modern, minimalistic approach.  Wood floor laminate, white and orange walls, IKEA looking furniture, and it was all very clean.

So I slept for about 4 hours before waking up and checking out, stopping by McDonald’s for breakfast on the way to the park.  Forecast kept calling for sunny skies and 80 degree weather.  Well we were in deep fog and it was maybe in the 50s.

I always get that ‘Griswold’ feeling pulling up to Cedar Point.  Its one of the only really exaggerated skylines out there, far more than the real Wally World.  After parking up near the front gate I headed in.  I should have at least grabbed the thin rain jacket I had, because it was cold, and I had dressed so that I was in a very thin shirt and shorts, as the forecast was calling for warmer weather.  When I got to the registration tables, they gave me a lanyard (They ran out of schedule cards) and off I was into the park.

The new entrance is phenomenal.  I love it.  Even if Gatekeeper didn’t roll over the entrance (Twice), it looks so much better.  And of course, there were a multitude of muffleheads.  I headed straight to Gatekeeper.  That was probably a mistake.  The line swelled as several people were in line, and many more were just arriving.  I ended up waiting for almost an hour.  As I was nearing the top of the steps to the station, I noticed the people I was looking for getting off and heading back thru the park, so I texted them and got in line for the second row on the left hand side.

Gatekeeper-I had low expectations for Wild Eagle at Dollywood, and it was really good, so I would have been happy if this was just as good.  While it was apparently running a bit slow, I thought it was fantastic.  The first twist and dive was really great, and the next inversion was disorienting.  I can imagine there would be more airtime on the hill if it weren’t running slow in the colder weather.  The corkscrew was large and disorienting as well.  Going over the entrance was nice and there was airtime in the zero G roll.  The rest of the ride, while not intense, is a lot of fun.  The MCBR doesn’t slow the ride down at all from what I could tell.  Then you have a couple hops and hit the brake run.  Cedar Point has another winner on their hands, but one that will leave a larger legacy as the park’s banner coaster at the front gate for many years to come.

Bryan (birdhombre), Craig, Casey, and Gage were heading back to Millennium Force, so that was where I headed to next for ERT.  I got there and the line was just past the ramp going into the station.  It was maybe a 20 minute wait, and I saw the guys waiting for the back seat.  I got on the train near the middle and ended up on their train, so that was great timing.

Millennium Force-Many people complain about this ride, but I still like it.  It’s not the best ever, but it’s a lot of fun.  Plus, I really like speed.  The first drop is amazing, and the 2 hills on and off the island have some decent airtime. The overbanked turns are quite good as well.  This was the first time, however, that I actually got airtime on the small hill near the station.  I was surprised.  After we got off, we got right back on for seconds.  Saw a Coasterbuzzer running the ride in the exit area, Danthecoasterman.  Granted, by this point, I had seen several other Buzzers and people I hadn’t seen in a while.

Bryan was going in to work, but we talked him into a quick Blue Streak ride.  There was barely any line to speak of.  ERT was nearing its end, so it was good that we were close to the front.  After a quick wait, we were on near the back of the train.

Blue Streak-I’ve always loved this ride, but today it was giving killer airtime on every hill.  Almost Phoenix like.  We had an axel seat, but it was still running well.  There isn’t much to say other than I was up out of my seat on every single hill on the ride.  I wish I’d rode more during the day, but never got back around to it.

By this point the park was open and Bryan had to head to work.  Craig, the kids, and I headed over to Raptor for a quick spin before the line for it got too long.

Raptor-I’d never ridden in the back of this before.  I usually hit new invert credits or ones that I don’t ride much in the front, but the back seat ride was really good.  I couldn’t see anything, and because I’m not familiar with the ride, didn’t know what was coming next.  We breezed thru the MCBR on this one as well.  Raptor is still fast and fun.  Intense, but not Batman Crazy.

Craig wanted to try another round on Gatekeeper.  The line was about a 20 minute wait, so we got in line.  Little did we know they would be adding the third train (shoulda done that during ERT IMO), so our 20 minutes ended up being an hour.  And nearly the entire queue filled up behind us.  We rode on the right hand side, near the back this time.  And the ride was still really good.

Thankfully Windseeker was up and seeking some wind, so I hopped on that with Craig, for a total of 4/5 going for Windseeker rides vs. spottings (Darn you Knott’s!).  And boy was it COLD!  After that we headed over to Cedar Downs, something I’d never done but always wanted to.  Not sure how I missed it.  It was really a lot of fun!  After that we headed over to another ride I’d not done at the Point, Dodgems.  And when someone yells out as the ride is starting for everyone to go after the guy in the grey shirt, you know it’s going to be a fun time.  I did hurt my knee in a double head-on collision, though.
We headed back towards Gemini next, stopping for a ride on the Monster on the way.  I’m not into really spinney rides as I get sick.  But Casey and I got the most spins on the ride in our tub.  It wasn’t bad, and I was just a tad nauseous, but that went away quickly.  So we headed over to Gemini.

Gemini-Casey and I rode in the left train first and lost.  Not much hand slapping going on.  I love Gemini, though.  Lots of airtime, and just a fun atmosphere riding.  They should have cloned this more than their standard corkscrew.  For our second ride, Casey and I got in the right train and we won by a mile, but there was no hand slapping on this go round, as the other train never had a chance to catch up.

So after Gemini, we headed back to the front for lunch.  The line to get the really awesome jackets they gave us was long, but oh well.  The jacket was a welcome gift, especially with how cool it was.  And lunch was good.  I had 2 pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, a bratwurst, some type of red sauce pasta that was good, potato salad, green beans, pasta salad, and a cookie.  It was nice seeing some more people I don’t often get to see as well.

After lunch we walked out to the cars for a quick trip to pick up and drop off stuff.  Thankfully Craig and I were parked close to each other.  I got my camera while I was out there.  Once we were back in the park we headed back to Magnum which had very little wait.  I obviously got in seat 1-3.

Magnum XL-200-Still great airtime after all this time.  My last trip on Magnum caused a bruised kidney and a kidney stone.  This trip was far more enjoyable.  I just pulled the seatbelt as tight as I could and rode in the hopes that the trim wouldn’t yank me down in my seat like last time.  The first drop and few hills are still chock full of airtime, and the last run back to the station barely gives you a chance to breathe.  I love Magnum.

We walked over to Maverick but the line was long.  Mean Streak had a 45 minute wait and there was no way we were doing that.  So we hit the Mine Train next.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride-I usually don’t like mine rides outside of Disney and Georgia, but CCMR was running well today.  I really enjoyed it.  We rode in the middle of the train, and I actually got some airtime and decent laterals during the ride.

Unfortunately Skyhawk was down, and it was too cold to ride Shoot the Rapids or any other water ride.  So instead we hit up the train for a full circle around the park, but not before a bathroom break and a chance for me to go in the Town Hall.  I love trains in parks.  I love trains period.  We rode back up front and decided it was time for a break from the park.  Craig and kids went to their hotel room, and I went to my car for a nap.  I woke up after an hour to look at the clock and realized I still had 30 minutes so I lay back down.  Then Bryan texted me as he was back at the park.  I headed back in to meet him and we went over to see the line for Gatekeeper, which was too long.  So we got in line for MaxAir instead.

MaxAir-This was the best cycle I’ve ever gotten on any Frisbee type ride.  We hit the apex of every swing.  It was amazing.  I think it was a 2 cycle wait, but the cycles run kind of longer than you’d expect.  I’m not sure why these don’t make me sick, but I love them.  They scare the beejeezuz out of me, but I love them.

Wicked Twister had no real wait so we went over and got in line for the back seat, only for me to get denied.  Weird.  Last time I was at the Point, I was about 20-30 pounds heavier.  I had no issues on anything else, but the guy came over without really trying and told me I couldn’t ride.  Okay.  Some other guy there for mania was kicked off too and he said the same thing, that he’d never been kicked off the ride.  I’m just glad I hadn’t actually waited in line.  Oh well.

So after Bryan got off we went to the Ferris wheel.  I got some decent views, but no really decent pictures, since the sun and sky didn’t cooperate all flipping day.  There was also a pancake sighting in the queue.

After we were getting off, Josh (Raven-Phile) texted me and he and Heather were at the park.  They got their jackets and met us at the Ferris Wheel.  We ended up going to get food first (Mmm…Cheese on a stick).  We did get a Dragster ride and met up with Craig and the kids.
Top Thrill Dragster-I’ve always said that Dragster is a great thrill ride and a terrible coaster.  You launch.  120mph.  Go up, come down, you’re done.  That’s that.

Josh, Bryan, Heather, and I decided to go get seats for Luminosity and have a drink while everyone else was riding.  We hung around the stage for a bit.  The small selection of beer and wine they had was actually pretty decent, and the prices weren’t bad either for a park.  I expected getting a Bud Lite Lime for like $9.  Instead I got a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Stout for $6.25.

So, Luminosity.  It was really great.  They came out and pumped the crowd up before the show.  And the show was fantastic.  Live band.  Decent to good vocals.  The choreography wasn’t as tight or as on point as a Janet or Madonna concert, but still good.  The music selection was mostly very current pop and very well done.  The light show (including pyro!) was really good.  The ending, with the DJ rising up out of the stage to transition to the dance party was nice, and the dance party with the DJ above the stage was great.

Since the park was closing we headed back to Maverick for some nite rides.  When the ERT line opened, we waited maybe 20 minutes a piece for 2 rides.

Maverick-The first drop is great, but better in the back.  I love the ride, even if it beats my ears a little.  The hills all have airtime, the inversions are butter smooth, the Stengle Dives are great, and that launch in the tunnel is fantastic.  Why aren’t other parks building these??!

We toyed with a Mean Streak ride, but nobody wanted to, so we hit up Mine Ride in the dark, and it was still fun.  Sadly, though, we missed nite time Gemini.  So we headed over to Magnum for a couple rides and then Dragster for a couple rides before calling it a nite.

Overall, Coastermania was fun.  Obviously, don’t go expecting a ton of ERT as there are 2000+ in attendance.  But Cedar Point puts on a good show for those there.  Besides, I go to most events to see people and get some rides in, and that’s what I did.  I left the park a little before 12:30 and headed to my next stop, an overniter in Cleveland.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:57:07 AM by Edwardo »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Coastermania?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:29 PM »
Nope. Just you. ;-)

I would if I could, but I'd never pass up The Voyage for Cedar Point. So many great opportunities this year. I'm gonna have to miss a bunch of great stuff. :-/

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
CM's schedule looks good this year. I'm either doing the point this Sept. or next year's CM.

I wish Waldemeer would stay open a couple weekends into Sept as we almost always go to CP that time of year.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »
I will be going to Cedar Point for a Gatekeeper cred, and a much overdue ride on the inleman Shoot the Rapids. I won't be going during coastermania though.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
don't get your hopes up about shoot the rapids

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »
Yeah. It is kind of lame. :-/

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »
I'm only getting it because that piece of crap spited me when I went in 2010.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
It's not bad... it's just not good.

Waldameer has a good flume. i'm guessing driving through Erie is not the best route for you.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
There are so many great flumes out there. Shoot The Rapids is not one of them.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
I'm looking at flying into Pittsburgh on Thursday, driving out to CP for Friday, driving to Waldameer on Saturday for the day, then that evening heading back to Pitt for Kennywood and the flight home on Sunday.  Waldameer is new to me, and I miss Kennywood.  It's been almost 10 years.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
Waldameer has RF2, and a pretty good drop tower from what I hear. Definitely worth the trip.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »
And a better flume than Cedar Point. ;-)

Same goes for Kennywood. 

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
Kennywood is worth it for phantom. Everything else is just a bonus.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »
Kennywood is worth it just for Racer. :D

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
Racer is not close to the best coaster at kennywood.

I actually really like Waldameer. I wouldn't say the drop tower is a reason to go but a bonus for when you are there.

Reasons to go... Well obviously RF2. Dragons is a very good spinning coaster. If you have never been on this type before, don't expect it to be laime like the 6 flags spinners. It's much much better. Comet is probably my favourite wooden junoir coaster. The flume is great. Whacky shack if you like that kind of thing is well thought of. It's not my type of thing, I thought it was stupid. Pirates cove (a walkthrough) is super funny. They also have decent bumper cars, and all the standard fair rides. Music express, scambler, pirate ship.. etc.

Clint if you can push back your waldameer until night I would highly recomend it. RF2 is one of those that goes from a 7/10 to a 10/10 once its dark. Matt will try to tell you its meh, but he's wrong.

I think waldameer has a poor mans knoebels thing going on. granted its not close its the most similar i've been to. I would take it over Compounce. Not because RF2 is better than Dash, but because it's close enought and the rest of waldameer has more to offer than the lake. They are both way way behind knoebels however.

Clint when are you going? Maybe I can try to make a day trip. It's only 3 hrs for me.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 07:23:26 AM »
My Racer comment was just a jab at Clint; however I would rank it third at the park after Phantom and Thunderbolt.  But only in the back seat. It's got some great airtime back there, especially on the last drop.  Jack Rabbit has one amazing moment, but that's not enough to for me.    Racer has nore substance.  Sky Rocket could be so much more.   Exterminator is fun and all, but it's still just a Reverchon spinning coaster. 

I always describe Waldy as a miniature Knoebels. RF2 is very good. Just has a soft ending after an aggressive start.  Definitely better at night, but never gets above a 9/10 for me. The ending just doesn't pack the punch it should. The first half to 2/3 is fantastic though. Bubba even cracked a rib I think on the out run. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:30:22 AM by AV Matt »

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
Derek, I could potentially do Waldameer at nite.  I'm hopefully going to have my nephew in tow as well.  If you wanna meet up, that'd be great.  Thinking maybe leaving from CP, doing Conneaut early on Saturday if it's open, and then heading to Waldameer for the rest of the day, then I could leave that nite and head down to Pittsburgh for Kennywood (and Idlewild?) on Sunday.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
I am always impressed with your agressive schedualing. lol

Wally has a night rider admission. Its $20 after 5. Only a $8-9 savings. Pay per ride is no good as all the good rides run $4.50. I did that once on a stop in on my way to coaster mania with 5 people. We did RF2 twice and dragons once. I usually shop for a bit and go to steak and shake until 5 rolls around. you never need more than 5 hrs. Erie is a hot bed for Canadian shoppers. My sister goes once a month. One thing to watch out for is they aren't affraid to close up shop early when crowds are small. A saturday night shouldn't be a problem.

Matt, I would say JR is better than Racer but Im going off 1 ride on each. So i'm no judge. 9/10 for RF2 is probably right. I don't like to throw 10's around. I mean it's certainly not voyage good, so what is voyage? 10.5? I would put it in a class with Legend, and Raven. Slightly better at night.

I really need to get to kennywood again. My first trip was just a tease. Freezing cold, pitch black, and one lap on each. Not a great night.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Honestly, I don't really like the agressive scheduling, but if I can fit more into a coaster-centric trip, then I will, as long as it's not at the cost of enjoying my day.  Adding in a couple small parks in the morning then spending the day at a larger (but not huge) park, though, has really helped in getting around.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
RF2 starts off as good as Voyage and Boulder Dashand then just loses its bite after it climbs back up the section by the station.  Like I've said over and over sgain, a weak ending severely hurts my enjoyment of a ride just like a movie with a bad ending. 

Really, if Voyage is a 10, it's hard for anything else to ever be better than a 9, but I try to ignore how awesome Voyage is in rating other rides. It's not fair to all the normal coasters. ;-)

And both of you, ride Thunderbolt and Racer in the very last row before making final judgment. Neither excite me all that much anywhere else on the train, but I think they are both great with that back seat airtime. 

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »
I have. I love Thunderbolt :-).

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
B-mac and whomever else... how do I get my Coaster-Count banner to show up in my signature here?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
Never mind. I figured it out after looking at B-mac's profile.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
Re: TR: Coastermania 2013
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Bump for the TR.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
Re: TR: Coastermania 2013
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
And the belated PTR:

Well, this is definitely different than when i was here in 2007.

I really love what they did with Ocean Motion.

I didn't even bother on this trip.

This ride is so great.

It was still down when I was there. Boo!

Blue Streak model.  Blue Streak felt very Phoenix-esq this trip.

People complained when it left, but I'd take Maverick any day over this.

Smoother than the real thing.

Another coaster I didn't ride on this trip.  It could definitely be a rival to SFoT if they Rocky Mountained it.

LOL.  Closed.

Meh.  I have a better 300' coaster close to me in Virginia.

Glorious Airtime!

Is it more fun when your friend hollars out "Everyone GET  the guy in the GREY Shirt!!!" before the cars start?

Stupid cloudy day.

I could not for the life of me get the train centered.

See??!?

Still one of the best flats out there.

They really did a great job with the new entrance and Gatekeeper plaza.  Now if only they'd do something with Magnum's queue.

Skyline from the Ferris Wheel.

I'll never forget my first trip to CP, it was in 2004, and TTD was having so many issues.  I was one of the few lucky ones that got that credit on the first try, and I didn't wait for 4 hours to do it (but I did wait for about an hour each time).

Future dark ride?

The Edmund Fitzgerald on the far right was quite good.

Matt Oimett needs to roll out the new nite time show from Cedar Point to all of the larger, top performing parks like KI, KD, Carowinds, CW, and Knotts.  It was absolutely insane, and very well done, with a dance party/club after the show till closing.  We stayed and partied for a bit after the show.  And they serve drinks.

Coasters by the beach.

Magnum still kicks butt.  And it didn't dislodge any kidney stones this time, so, yay.

Seriously, I love me some Blue Streak, but it was running very well this year.  Better than ever.

The new highly modern and very well done entrance.

Stupid ride op wouldn't let me ride.  I was trying to push my OTSR down, it was bumping against my jacket with my camera in the pocket, but he made me get off, and there were still people boarding.  T'was rude too.  Oh well.  I've ridden it plenty of times, so whatever.  I could have went back later, but we missed ERT.

It's so purdy at nite.  I wish I'd gotten a nite ride, got a few rides that morning, and still love it, but I like I305 better.

Raptor ran well as usual.

The whole park is just framed with coasters now.  I love it.

I still love me some CP, and hope that it doesn't take 7 years to get back this time, though this was the 10th anniversary of my first visit.

Oh, and they've just remodeled the Motel 6 nearby, and it's actually very clean and modern, with no carpet on the floors, and very comfy.  I don't usually cheap out on motels, but it was the only thing that had vacancy that weekend, and I'd definitely stay again.