Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Outlaw Run Discussion  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
Outlaw Run Discussion
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
Since I would like to discuss the logistics of Outlaw Run, which I am sure a lot of you would too, I figured I would make a topic instead of rambling on in the shoutbox.... So what are your thoughts?

I am still skeptical about calling this a wooden coaster. Don't get me wrong, this ride looks absolutely amazing, but I just can't get myself to call it a real wooden coaster. For all of you who think Intamin prefabs have questionable wooden coaster status, I do not have a problem calling them wooden coasters since the track is completely made of wood with a thin layer of steel for the wheels to run on.  I talked to Mr. Grubb at IAAPA this year and he told me that the steel section of track on Outlaw Run is hollow and they fill it with cement.

I have also noticed that TPR is claiming Outlaw Run is tied as the fastest wooden coaster at 68mph. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't El Toro reach 70-72 mph?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:07:20 PM by Millennium Force 44 »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Outlaw Run Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »
As much as I like to bash it, El Toro IS absolutely a wooden coaster. Outlaw Run on the other hand. It's got so much steel in the track it's hard to think of it as being any different than Gemini at Cedar Point.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »
Gemini has a steel structure bolted into wood supports. Outlaw run doesn't. The thickness of the steel plates changed. It's not running on steel tubes bolted to wood supports, there are still layers if wood under the steel plates. YMMV.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
But the wood is structurally isolated by steel to keep it from flexing like a true wooden coaster so you probably don't get any benefit of having the wood there other than to support the steel. The flexing of the wood track is what gives a wooden coaster its "feel".

I hope I'm totally wrong. If it feels like a wooden coaster then I'll definitely retract my statement, but looking at how it's built it seems the wood is just there for show and has no effect on the physical experience.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »
I know that on the extensive re-tracking on Georgia Cyclone, it definitely felt more like a smooth GCI and not Texas Giant.  Granted, thats a coaster that runs PTCs and had the topper track added later.

I believe the whole ride is supposed to get Topper track, though, or so I thought.  But it still didn't feel like a steel coaster to me.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
Well then that's good news.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
I told u that after I rode it. I'm more excited about Cyclone next month than the whole rest of the park :-).

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
Does Outlaw Run's trains have metal wheels?

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »
yes

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »

Outlaw by Edward Beavers, on Flickr

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »
But the wood is structurally isolated by steel to keep it from flexing like a true wooden coaster so you probably don't get any benefit of having the wood there other than to support the steel. The flexing of the wood track is what gives a wooden coaster its "feel".

I hope I'm totally wrong. If it feels like a wooden coaster then I'll definitely retract my statement, but looking at how it's built it seems the wood is just there for show and has no effect on the physical experience.

Its the shaping of the rails that give it that wood feeling and the looser wheel boggies. Not the flex of the track. The topper track uses rectangular rails just like a true wooden coaster.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:53:57 PM by Blackhand1001 »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
By your theory New Texas Giant should feel like a wooden coaster and it by no means does. ;)

The "slop" between the guide wheels, up-stops and the track is definitely a factor in the wooden coaster sensation, but part of that is from the track flexing over time. And you can also feel the wooden track underneath you and know you're not on a steel coaster. The wood does flex and change shape over time. That's why a brand new wooden coaster gets better and better as the season goes on. The track gauge loosens up allowing for more play between the rails and the wheels, often allowing for more slamming airtime at the bottom of hills.
All this may still happen with this new steel layer system though (Clint said it feels like a wooden coaster on Georgia Cyclone so...). I look forward to finding out for myself.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
Yeah, NTG felt nothing like a wooden coaster.  Not even El Toro.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
The shape of the track is irrelevant.