Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Website Status  (Read 12263 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Website Status
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »
Hi everyone!

You have probably noticed that this website has been a little quiet lately, both in terms of news posts and community involvement. Looking around it seems like the issue is not just isolated to our Great Adventure website.

So we have a question for everyone - what would make you come visit more often? What would make you interact more? What would bring others to the site?

Do you want us to continue focusing on just Great Adventure or expand to other parks?

Let us know the good, bad and the ugly, and we will work to make things better!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Website Status
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
IMO, we need a more general theme that isn't just focused on GA.  Honestly, I think 80-90% of the conversations on here have next to nothing to do with GA.  For me in particular, getting mobile enabled is a must.  I'm almost never in front of a PC anymore and the forums aren't really mobile friendly.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
I think once the season gets rolling the traffic will pick up. I tend to go into a coaster coma over the winter.

I'm sure there are improvements that can be made. None pop out at me at the moment. I agree with alot of what Wade said. Even though I only drop in on PC or Laptop.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
Seems like all of the coaster communities are in a rut.  Blame the Facebook.   

Bring back the Coaster Draft.  I'd actually like to see a full park ride line-up draft (coasters, flats, flumes, dark rides, trains...).   

Definitely need more stuff to talk about than Great Adventure. Even I'm bored of bashing El Toro.  :D

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
The hardest part about the coaster draft is finding someone with the time to run it. I would do it if I were not working two jobs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:48:45 AM by Steve »

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
I'll try to post more and make interesting topics. Once I get to the park finally this year I will have more to post

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
May d think of expanding it to the east coast parks. Seems to have worked for west coaster.net.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
I am usually on Facebook and have been to the park a few times but there seems nothing too thrilling to report other then the Season Pass Dining .. Which BTW is a great deal if you go often !!

Slow work on the safari from what we can see so I think after that opens we may see more people around to chat !

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
I never paid much attention to the coaster draft but if someone wants to PM me how it worked maybe I can cook something up

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
At least we don't get a Reported Attack Page warning when visiting the site.
That must do much to keep people visiting.

GAdv has an odd feel this year.  Don't know what it is...maybe just too much of the same.
Even their Facebook page seems to be lacking any major activity.

As far as this site...make it more mobile friendly and leave it as is.
Ain't nobody got time for that....

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »
I noticed even History's forums are not as active of late.

And true story, we had a new version of this website ready to go last year, hit a snag with making the forum accounts work with other parts of the site, and then Wade's webhost ate it all when it crashed. Neither of us had good backups. It makes me sad.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
How about for now, we simply get the forums upgraded to the latest SMF boards so that we can re-open registration and not deal with bots?  I know it will mess up the front page and we'll need to disable it but at least then user accounts, passwords and all threads can be saved and the boards can be unlocked again.

edit - BTW Jerry, fix your avatar so that it doesn't take 30 seconds to finish loading the page lol

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
How about for now, we simply get the forums upgraded to the latest SMF boards so that we can re-open registration and not deal with bots?  I know it will mess up the front page and we'll need to disable it but at least then user accounts, passwords and all threads can be saved and the boards can be unlocked again.

edit - BTW Jerry, fix your avatar so that it doesn't take 30 seconds to finish loading the page lol

Be careful what you wish for!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »

Be careful what you wish for!

Ummm, yikes... that was balsy LOL  I'm praying you backed stuff up first but oh well.  It seems to have worked at least :)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
Ummm, yikes... that was balsy LOL  I'm praying you backed stuff up first but oh well.  It seems to have worked at least :)

Yes I backed everything up last night :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »
Just a heads up that this is a work in progress :).

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
I backed off from all the enthusiast sites I'm involved with due to classes and other things pre-occupying me for this year.

I've seen multiple park coverage on other sites and some hop while others flop. I'd recommend keeping it to parks where you have people who visit multiple times a year (not 3 or 4 times, in the neighborhood of multiple times a month) so that every park we potentially cover has most, if not all, news, events, and rumors covered. I've noticed what really gets people coming to the boards are constant and quality updates about construction and rumors, and getting them on Screamscape with direct links to the threads.

I'd love to add more but I got to get back to studying, finals start Friday!

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
Just a heads up that this is a work in progress :).

For how long?  Kind of miss the old site, even if there were few posts.
Can't say the site is any more mobile friendly than before.

...Sigh...