Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: 2014 Announcement: 415 Drop Tower (inside Ka!); Rolling Thunder Being Removed!  (Read 24488 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
I came to add pretty much the same thing!

I know a lot of people like Rolling Thunder. Many have fond memories of it, especially for those who had it as their first coaster (I didn't: Mine was Medusa!). But the Rolling Thunder that was is not the one standing today. Unfortunately it has probably deteriorated to the point where it's just no longer worth the maintenance or saving. The park made some bad decisions over the years to not give it the TLC it needed and the time has come and gone to keep it in running condition.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
I agree, and I agree it needs a replacement for its height group,I did ride it twice during rotb and the front was great, smooth, floater air but towards the back was not,, I'm not really sad it's going I'm sad there isn't a replacement
Yo

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
Well I see from this article that Fitzgerald says:

“I do sympathize with them,” said Fitzgerald. “We do need to have more things for people to ride together and that’s what we plan on putting into the Rolling Thunder area.”

Now, when I read that I don't think he's talking about the drop tower, or anything for next year. I'm thinking there are future plans in place for the area.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
There's quite a bit of space opened up between Plaza Del Carnivale and the Golden Kingdom. Maybe another linking path with a few rides tossed in over there, and then a coaster tossed in behind El Toro?

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
There's quite a bit of space opened up between Plaza Del Carnivale and the Golden Kingdom. Maybe another linking path with a few rides tossed in over there, and then a coaster tossed in behind El Toro?

That's what I'm thinking. But unless they delay the 2015 plans for Old Country it will be a little while.

If this is the case it could also mean they wanted to get another few years out of Rolling Thunder but ran into trouble with it that was just too expensive to fix.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Saw on TPR that they have the big cranes on site.

Here's the picture...

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
I didn't realize they had to add additional supports to the sides of Kingda Ka.
You would think that the structure would have been pretty sturdy as is.
Any of our local Structural Engineers care to comment?

I hope they are documenting this retrofit somehow.  Discovery Channel where are you?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
I'm curious if that tower can stand alone all by itself without the track attached.