Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Rolling Thunder Tribute  (Read 7871 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Rolling Thunder Tribute
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »
I wanted to start a thread with the various pictures I have of Rolling Thunder.  Feel free to contribute more if you have them!

To be fair, I do understand why things like this happen.  However, my two oldest boys, 9 and 11, rode Rolling Thunder as their first "big" coaster and it's a memory I'll forever cherish.  Yes, they are sad to.  So while the ridership was dropping off (could it be more due to the condition and painfulness of the ride????), it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye :(.

Here are a few pictures I could quickly find on my PC.  I'll post more as I find them.

-W

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Rolling Thunder Tribute
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
A few more...

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
/\ Hi Chuck!

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
I have to find my pic of me hugging it!!! LOL    I am so very disappointed with this decision. I don't even know what else to say. Back in it's heyday it was the coaster everyone ran too! Even in the mid 90's I always ran to RT first! This really is a shame. Too bad someone like the Knoebel's can't give it another life.  :'(

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
It makes you wonder if the ridership was so low because of how lousy of a ride it gave, how bumpy it was, how slow it loaded, condition of the trains and so on.  It just doesn't make sense.  After just being at Hershey and seeing the Comet with a full queue and still delivering great rides makes you wonder.  Then again, we are probably being a tad more critical about the decision when compared to the average park guest lol

I don't think our friends at Great Adventure History will mind if I link to their outstanding page dedicated to Rolling Thunder :) - http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/RollingThunder.htm

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
Here's a few I found from back in the day. The one from the top of the hill (pre-Ka) was actually the first "coaster" picture I ever took with a digital camera.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:19:49 PM by Frissbeking »

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
Some more... These might not be 100% RT pictures, but it's in there.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:15:53 PM by Frissbeking »

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
And some more...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:20:14 PM by Frissbeking »

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
Awesome pics.  Also, even though I couldn't tolerate Viper, I love pictures of it lol

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
If I had a scanner I have so, so many Polaroids of various tours around RT. I also have some good shots of Viper Wade!  ;)    I am hoping Dan, Chris P and Sue/Rich still have them RT bumper stickers I made years ago... In fact now I wish I had kept one for myself! Maybe I'll fire up the old PC that probably still has that graphic file on it. 

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:20:30 PM »
Nice pic Wade! I plan to take some final laps next Saturday. Hopefully they will be running both sides.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
I've got plenty more of Viper, I think somewhere.

Offline Edwardo

• Enchanted Teacups
  • El Toro Lover
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
I have a pic of Danian on the lift ill have to post.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
I remember the days when Rolling Thunder and  Lightnin' Loops were kings of the park. Back then there were no seat belts to hinder the loading times.   I rode it a few weeks ago and it was painful and the loading times were pathetic.  Rolling thunder still does have a huge fan base...the young.  It is a transition ride for kids before they move onto some of the bigger rides and it is just sad that they will no longer have this ride to go to.

What are the chances of seeing it racing in its last 2 weeks?  I feel slim to none at this point.  Only the right side has seen any action these days.  I think the left side is already done.   

I'll say my goodbye at ROTB...and please no wing rider in its place.   

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
I have some pics somewhere of the park in the 80's when the line for rt would be a 2 hour wait,, have to bust out the 35 mm pics and scan them,
Yo

Offline HaydenM

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »
I had great results with HGH-X2 and have some pics somewhere of the park in the 80's when the line for rt would be a 2 hour wait,, have to bust out the 35 mm pics and scan them,

Cool! Love the old pics!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:37:12 AM by HaydenM »