Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: 2013 Fright Fest - Sat 9/14/2013  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
2013 Fright Fest - Sat 9/14/2013
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Usually the first weekend of Fright Fest is the time to go to the park for low crowds.  Not this year!
It was the perfect storm at the park yesterday:
Excellent Weather + Season Pass Bring A Friend Free and 2 Bring-A-Friend cheap coupons + Free Season Pass Fright Fest Coupon = Extreme Crowds.
I have not see the park that crowded in ages...even the Buccaneer had a full queue. (I blame Rolling Thunder LOL)

You can definitely tell the park reinvested some $ into this years fright attractions. 
Many of the return trains / houses are so much better than past years (with the exception on The Manor).

This year is the first year for inside attractions and both are in the old motion simulator building.
"The Manor" is where the queue used to be and "Total Darkness" is where the season pass processing and theater used to be.
You can actually see the doors up high for where the simulator seat levels used to be.
These attractions open early (2PM) and both queues are in the same place, which really is extremely confusing.

"The Manor" -Mostly the same attraction as last year but it seems much shorter.  Not up to the expectations from last year.  Sorry no girl throwing books.  And they even try to up sell you a picture.

"Total Darkness" -Your group of about 8 people gets a knotted rope and a very small small flash light for the lead person.  You are then sent into a very dark maze.   At the back of the rope you are at the mercy of the the person at the lead.  A very good concept here.  Someone in our group made the comment "Don't let go of the rope" and then we hear a voice say "We like them alone!"  One of the favorites of the night.  Better hope they change the batteries often.

"Voodoo Island" -Gone is the reality show idea and this one really feels like you are lost in the woods.  This is again under the log flume are.  Some pretty gruesome scenes in this one.   They really upgrade the props on this one.

"The Asylum"  -This one just keeps getting better every year. Make sure you do this one when it is dark out it makes the end so much better.  The scare actors in he Asylum were the best in the park.  Hopefully this one actor in the middle of the Asylum makes it though the season.  She is right after the bathroom scene so keep an eye out for her!  If only doing one attraction this would be my pick.

"Wasteland" -Wasteland wins for the best costumed scare actor at fright fest. Even if I told you what it was it would probably still get you.  Better in the dark, but at dusk you do get to see some more details that you might miss (the toxic barrel with a big lizard tail swinging out of it).

The new Straw-man Stalker is the new trail by the lake.  Just ok and not worth a long wait.

The clowns and other scare actors were about but the sheer number of guests was overbearing so they were hard to find. 
I couldn't locate the big blow up evil clown that used to be by the carousel.  Did sandy destroy it last year?
A 1.5-2 hour wait being common for the Fright-fest attractions and forget any of the rides. 
Maybe the should have started FrightFest earlier years ago! 

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: 2013 Fright Fest - Sat 9/14/2013
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »
Nice review. Is it just me or does it seem like they have been progressively stepping things up for the past 2-3 years now?  This is a good sign and has added much needed capacity as well as something that will hold up better in bad weather.

I haven't been yet but hope to get there in October so I'll post an update on how things are going. This is a very good sign though for opening weekend. That's for sharing!

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »
I was there Saturday as well . It was very crowded and now that it has been mentioned I did not see the big blow up clown ?? I guess I will have to look next trip . We did a few rides during the day but had friends with us that had little kids so we were in the kiddies area alot . As far as the kiddie areas even in there the lines were long . Three to four cycles before getting on the kiddie coaster in safari kids / seaport area .

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
I believe this girl from the Asylum is not human.  She will give you nightmares...

I went to get my 2014 Season Pass last night.  I wasn't planning on staying long but pleasantly no crowds for Rides or Haunts.  I spent the $20 for the Season Pass Haunt Pass..

Went through all the haunts again last night and they were all greatly improved over opening day.
"The Manor" was much better, I don't think it was ready opening day.
And a walk through "Voodoo Island" alone was quite an experience...

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the update.  And awesome pic.  I'm hoping to make it there at least once before the end of the season!

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
I can't take credit for that pic....They no like you to bring cameras into the haunts.

All American Thrills gets the credit for a great behind the scenes tour:
allamericanthrills.com -> fright-fest-at-six-flags-great-adventure-2013