Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Thunderbird  (Read 4467 times)

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
Thunderbird
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
Very excited about this ride.

I love that it set back a bit from the park. This shows a desire to expand in coming years. Not sure where I read it or if it is true. But I heard the walk distance from the front gate to voyage is the same as the walk from voyage to Thunderbird...

Kind of confused about the fact I thought that walkway is splashing safari.. I'm sure it will all make sense soon enough.

I'm glad they added this coaster. I hope they don't just start dropping in steel coasters every 4 years now. I hope they stay away from giant flats as well. HW has such a unique ride line up that works for them and I hope they don't get away from it to be Kings Island west.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
Thanks for creating the topic.  I'm sure we'll be popping in here over the course of another year :).

I'm honestly shocked in that for a park of this size that they went with a big budget B&M.  Premier, Mack, Zamperla, Vekoma and S&S all came to mind but never did I suspect a B&M.  And a launching one at that.  Maybe the launch system ends up costing less than all of the materials required for a huge lift like Gatekeeper?

Anyway, my only concern is that it does look rather short but it also seems to pack a good punch in that layout.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
I'm not concerned about the walk to the station from Voyage. People are really getting worked up about it.  The walk up The Boss' queue is worse. ;)  and compared to Cedar Point, it's nothing.  Coaster enthusiasts are so lazy.  :-/

I'm excited for the ride, although I'd be much much MUCH more excited for a Mack launched multi-looper with lots of airtime.  Hopefully that will be their next big toy. B&Ms are so 10 years ago.  ;)

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
If only the parks in the States could jump on the Mack train considering what Intamin and Gerstlauer have experienced over the last 2 years. Or Zierer but they still haven't built many large coasters compared to Mack.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
Mack is the new king of steel. Hopefully they get to be the new "must-have" soon. 

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
Mack is the new king of steel. Hopefully they get to be the new "must-have" soon. 
I've been trying to figure out the reasoning behind B&M finally going launched but looking at it this way, I almost wonder if they are starting to reach global market saturation and are now facing increased competition.  I agree - they are becoming the been there done that coaster and Zierer, Zamperla, Mack, Mauer, etc are all coming up with very interesting, though not always great, concepts while B&M's all feel the same.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
B&M likes inversions and swoopy curves. They don't seem to care about airtime. Mack takes after Schwarzkopf and makes their rides more than just endless inversions. 

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
It just occurred to me that canadas wonderland will get the 2nd one of these made. Not stoked or disappointed by this.

What are some of the better Mack rides out there. I haven't been as in to coaster knowledge lately. Blue Fire comes to mind. Any good ones in NA?

I don't think thunderbird is too far away. I always liked the idea of a long walk up to a coaster. Looks like they are theming the area up a little bit as well.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
Mack's best rides currently would be the new Helix in Sweden, Blue Fire Mega Coaster in Germany, their take on the Intamin Mega-lite layout (diferent but very similar), the one of a kind Euro-Mir and Euro-Sat also at Europa in Germany, the Wild Mouse at Hershey, Dark Knight Wild Mice at Great America and Great Adventure, Kings Dominion's bobsled coaster, several bobsled coasters in Europe, and Sea World California's Manta is supposed to be pretty good. 

Helix is the steel coaster to beat now IMO.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »

Helix is the steel coaster to beat now IMO.

Oh yeah? How long ago did you ride it :)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
Didn't realize how epic looking helix was until you mentioned it. Watched the Pov and was blown away. I recommend the night time Pov.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
Shut up, Rob. You know you want it badly. 

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
Shut up, Rob. You know you want it badly. 

The video looks too rough.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »
Just the lift hill.

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Great adventure needs a mack looper asap.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
I don't think New Jersey will allow a looper without over the shoulder restraints.  They better check into that before buying a Mack and then pulling a Jumanji. 

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
Well they did allow Chiller to run with lap bars.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
Well they did allow Chiller to run with lap bars.
Good point. But look how that turned out lol

I'm not aware of anything that won't let them go lapbar only but it's apparently extremely difficult to go through the process for approvals. A process that is already very tough. Morey's had similar issues with "It" but like Chiller, it can be done.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
How awesome would it be if Mack launched mega coasters were the next MUST HAVE here in the US? Bye bye B&M and Intamin. 

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
Chiller was fine with the lap bars, the trains themselves and even the ride didn't feel like working though.

I'm sure there's paperwork to go through for lap bar inverting coasters but it can't be anywhere as severe as what's happened to Ka with the advent of Zumanjaro.