Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Photo TR: Volcano Mania  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Photo TR: Volcano Mania
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:01:07 AM »
Volcano Mania

Cost:
Entrance Fee to Event $20
Tolls $18
Gas $50 (20 gallons at 2.50)  
Parking $10
Season Pass x2 $139.98
Total: $238.98

Miles: 486 round trip.

Weather:
Cold breezy with periods of rain

ERT Laps: 6

My Friend Tom and I arrived at PKD at 7am. First we decided to eat at Denny?s next to the entrance gate to kill some time. Then waited in line for the toll booths to open and finally process our season pass. Once all that was finished we meet up with the Coaster Zombies at the front of the gates. Here we received our name tags and information about the day?s events. After the group meet, we headed back to Volcano around 9:30 to start our ERT.  

Once at the station, we found ourselves third in line.  We took the back row to start off the day. The launch is always great, but for the first time it felt like we weren?t going to make it out of the Volcano. It slowly crested over the top and we made it out. So close to a roll back, but it didn?t happen.  The only way I could describe it is the way I felt on Hydra during the JoJo roll. I was completely out of my seat for a good ten seconds that seemed like a minute. The ride itself is to short for me, but the beginning of the ride totally makes up for that. After that we rode four more times all being in the middle or second car and saved the last ride for the front row. It was still raining and every drop felt like b-b gun pellets on your face in the front row. That finally ride would end ERT for us so we decided to check out the gift shop and figure out what?s next.

Tomb Raider was the call.  I sat out and took pictures while Tom rode. My breakfast still needed time to settle before I even thought about riding. Sadly no music or flames, just the water effects were on and of course the rain. After that the rain seemed to stop so we went to check out Flight of Fear and construction of IJTC.  Anaconda was testing so we made our way over to Drop Zone. I finally meet Cyclonic after ERT and meet up again here with Him. The three of us rode and afterwards headed to Hypersonic XLC.

We walked straight the station, NO LINE!  OK, maybe a three train wait. We talked about how good the launch was and nothing else. I was also warned about the head slamming once over the top. ?Really that never happens to me? Once loaded we made the turn to get weighed and in and off to the launch track. PSSSSSSSSSSS VOOOM off we went over the top and slam, the back of my head is killing me. The train is now rattling like crazy through the turn and slams back into the brake run. This was the worst ride I?d ever had, and maybe the last. OK, I doubt the last, but it defiantly wasn?t fun today.

We lost Cyclonic due to a single rider option and we headed over to Grizzly. What have they done to the forest and the Queue?  All that for some lame Go-Karts with restrictor plates. It?s a good thing the ride is still out of control, with the tunnel being the best part. We got two laps in before getting off.  The rain started again and it was time for the group lunch.

During our lunch we had a Q and A, raffle and of course food.  I didn?t win anything. Tom walked away with a Zombie Button and a Got Airtime Bumper Sticker.  That was pretty much that and we headed over to Avalanche. Bobsleds never get old to me; I could ride them all day. The bottom helix was insane today or maybe it was just a full belly, either way it was a fun ride. At this point it started to rain again and we headed off to Rebel Yell backwards. It was a cold ride and that?s pretty much all I remember.

It was now time for the Scooby Doo competition, Who ever scored the most points would win a prize at the end of the night. Tom scored a 1740 as I scored 1770.  The queue for this ride is always packed and the mist was out of control. We took the long walk back to Ricochet, stopping at the Eiffel tower along the way for more pictures.

I white knuckle mouse rides all the time. They are so much fun and nerve racking all at the same time. I just imagine the car sailing off the rails during every turn. I?d put this one right up there with the crazy mouse at Hershey park. I was glad to get off and out of the rain. Hurler is being re-tracked at the bottom of the first turn so it wasn?t an option. I felt bad for the employee who had to sit in the rain all day and tell people it was down for the day.

Next ride would be Rebel Yell front wards. Again, the ride was very cold and wet. I put my sweatshirt over my head and rode it like the headless horseman to avoid the raindrops.  Once back in the station we stayed on and this time I enjoyed the views. The ride felt the same to me since last year. A little rough, but that?s how wood should be, so no complaints. We took a breather and sat down at the virtual game area. People would walk by and say ?What?s this? Of course being me, ?I said sit down here for three dollars and get out of the rain?.  It didn?t work so I told them the truth and they all just walked away. At this point the rain wasn?t letting up and we rode everything possible so we decided to leave. Before leaving, we stayed with tradition and walked through the treasure cave.

It was a nice event, meeting new people, hanging with Chuck, Rob, Dan, and finally meeting Nate after being to three events with him already. If it wasn?t so cold out, I think we would have stayed for Grizzly, than again getting home at nine was nice, I was tired.  :wink:

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:35:06 AM »
Welcome to Kings Dominion.

AAAAAaarrrrrnnnhhh ! 6 laps on Volcano

UUUUHHHHG -AAaaarrrnnh.

Volcano while waiting for Tom to get off TR:FF

Noooooooooooooooo! It's closed

Construction Photos of IJTC

Go-kart construction

Rider117 (Chuck)

crazy rattle

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:48:42 PM »
Nice TR! One question, are those Flyers I see snappable???!!!!

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
They almost are, but be prepared to be yelled at if you try!

Not that I would know from experience or anything.   :twisted:
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »
I was at PKD opening day.  The thing I noticed more than anything else was that most of the rides were closed and the food prices were outlandishly ridiculous.

You certainly could tell that PKD is for sale.

And yet, when PCWi opened, everything was wonderful, open and the food was quite good, which made the prices less noticeable.

With any luck, I will be at PKI Friday for its opening.  I hope to find it nicer than PKD was on its opening day.

One thing about it, Paramount keeps operating like PKD was when I was there (no parking lot trams, surly employees, most rides closed), Six Flags should be able to trade on its improving reputation all the faster!

I was fortunate enough to be at SFOG's opening day and was very impressed, and at SFGAd's (where I should have stayed instead of going to visit PKD on its opening day the following day!)

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:59:10 PM »
Well Diana, I was told by a forum member  "I just made a little girl cry on the flyer's "  that day at the park, so it seems that they are very snappable  :lol:

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »
Hahaha, I look like an idiot!  :lol:  :lol:

Yes, Hypersonic's train shuffles alot and I got a really bad headache from it.

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 12:49:11 AM »
Quote from: "DianaR"
Nice TR! One question, are those Flyers I see snappable???!!!!

Ohhhh, just wait for my report ;)  Hopefully it will be done tomorrow morning.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!