Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: How dangerous..  (Read 4167 times)

Offline amberosia

How dangerous..
« on: June 03, 2006, 10:12:58 PM »
i haven't been on a roller coaster, or SFGA for that matter in years, but plan on going this summer since i have some more free time. on rollercoasters in the past, i'd always held on for dear life because  i was always afraid something would go wrong and i would die.  but this summer, i want my hands up on every coaster.. but i'm still scared somethign will go wrong. how likely is it for shoulder restraints/lap bars to loosen and for a person to fly out of their seat?   :-\

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: How dangerous..
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 10:18:35 PM »
Extremely unlikely.  You are more apt to get hit by a meteor on the way to the park than for that to happen!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 10:21:55 PM »
First off - Welcome to updates :)

As for the safety of the rides - there are a zillion examples we could give... but in the end it all comes down to the rides being amazingly safe when compared to anything in this world.  And even when a issue has occurred, the ride system and safety systems have done their job :)

And finally, the shoulder/lap bar thing is a non-issue.  They can't and won't pop open.  So keep those hands up!!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:12:43 AM »
 They can't and won't pop open.

Hmmm, Chaos ?  No really,  you have a better chance of winning the power-ball or getting hit by lighting than getting hurt on a roller coaster. Don't think about death , just let go and have fun!

Offline DrewSmith

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 09:31:20 AM »
Very Very Very unlikley.  :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 09:35:22 AM »
Chaos isn't a coaster  :afro:  lol

Offline amberosia

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 06:30:51 PM »
thanks!!

Offline twisterbret

• Balin's Jungleland
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 01:49:31 PM »
You should really worry about getting to the park safely. You are at a much high risk.I think the road into GA with the speed bumps with people speeding while looking at the rides, is a lot more dangerous then riding anything.

Twisterbret

i haven't been on a roller coaster, or SFGA for that matter in years, but plan on going this summer since i have some more free time. on rollercoasters in the past, i'd always held on for dear life because  i was always afraid something would go wrong and i would die.  but this summer, i want my hands up on every coaster.. but i'm still scared somethign will go wrong. how likely is it for shoulder restraints/lap bars to loosen and for a person to fly out of their seat?   :-\
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:50:18 PM by twisterbret »

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 04:39:55 PM »
And even if you do get nervous during the ride, dont feel bad about putting your hands down. I still hold on during rides such as Nitro and Skull Mountain. You just have to learn to trust the ride manufactuers.

Offline larondeman

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:53:33 PM »
At my home park (la ronde) there's Goliath and it's basically the same kind of restraint Nitro has. I rode it once this year and couldn't feel any safer. The best roller coaster type and the best roller coaster restraint all rapped into one. Awesome!

Offline candc

• Koala Canyon
  • Carlos & Chris
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 02:21:18 PM »
Those sorts of things don't happen anymore, unless someone is trying to get out of the ride on purpose.  The safety mechanisms are locked as soon as you leave the station, until your return.  Go get on NITRO and ride it no hands all the way!  It's amazing!  Even more fun in the dark.  My absolute fav!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »
Anybody remember that annoying little cable on the ends of Nitros armrest as a backup device?  I think they lasted all of 1 month lol

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 07:33:47 PM »
Oh yeah.  Even remember seeing the prototype for that thing, and telling the ride designer that it was NOT a good idea.  I guess they figured that out, but only after the ride opened....

You can still see where they attached...The cable itself was almost certainly a safety hazard...it was meant to be sure the restraint was lowered enough, not unlike the seat belts on Chiller...

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 12:32:19 AM »
You have a better chance of being killed in a car accident on the way to Great Adventure then getting killed on a roller coaster! I have not seen these things actually on nitro but I am asuming that what the little holes in the armrests were for.

^I think they realized they can dispatch more trains by using a yellow line instead of a cable to check if riders are low enough
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]