Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: 14 rides on El Toro and these are my thoughts  (Read 2081 times)

Offline twisterbret

• Balin's Jungleland
14 rides on El Toro and these are my thoughts
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:34:33 AM »
I know many you have rode it, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

14 rides on El Toro and these are my thoughts
The trains lack the T-bar and have more of a staple looking type setup. This is a tight fit for some larger people. It?s not that the bar won?t go down but the all clear is not set till the bar clicks to a certain point. Everyone got to ride but larger people would need some extra help getting stapled in and you do get stapled! Being stabled is not a problem. You feel every ounce of negative g and it?s extreme!! If the bar wasn?t resting on your legs I think you would be in a lot of pain hitting the bar so hard with your legs.
I have not ridden Balder but I have ridden Colossos at Heide-Park Soltau, which is a close cousin of El Toro. El Toro seems to have more extreme and sustained negative g?s on the outward run and the turn around is taken at a much high rate of speed. From the ground you can hear the upstop wheels screaming for mercy at the tops of the large outward hills. This is about the only sound you will hear. After the turnaround there is a pretty good drop in the back and then there a moment of rest with some straight track. I consider this the only weak part if the design. After the straight, you bank into a smooth fast left hander which turns into the hill that crosses Roller Thunder. This crossover hill produces amazing airtime in the back but it?s X3 towards the front. This hill also twists left on the way down which makes for some laterals. At the bottom of the crossover drop is the twister section. I was amazing how well these Intamin trains articulate and track thru this area. It?s fast and powerful and not as controlled as I would have though, which is great!! The last hill or so doesn?t do much, but at this point you are ready for a breather.
  The first drop on El Toro is one of if not greatest first drop on any coaster, Expedition G-force included. EG has a nice slow roll-over which is lets you soak in the terror and gives that evil kickoff in the back. El Toro?s lift is so fast it almost seems like a shuttle coaster. The lift doesn?t slow down at the top. In the back of the very long train there are actually some laterals on the lift hill turn around (not Twister Craziness) While the first drop in the front seat is fun, you are going so fast you don?t really get to hang and check out the sites, but this is what makes the back so amazing down the first drop. The drop doesn?t have the large radius MF has and it?s got more speed so the drop is more of a Coney Island Cyclone (in the back) feel to it but taken to another level. You get that out of your seat feeling at the start of the drop but then the ride just presses you extremely hard at against the bar. It doesn?t slam you it more or less feels like it hit the Nitrous button after already being out of your seat. There isn?t a bad seat on the ride. There is air in every seat. I almost forgot to mention the great head choppers this ride has!
     The bad news is the second train won?t be ready for a while so prepare to wait.
I?ve been waiting since the year the Beast open at KI for Great Adventure to get a wood coaster you could really brag about. El Toro is really something to brag about! Congrats to GA!! O Lay!

Twisterbret

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: 14 rides on El Toro and these are my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 11:52:54 AM »
Great review and great having you here Bret!

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »
Wow, comparing it to Expedition Geforce is amazing. Did you like Toro or Collossos better?

Offline twisterbret

• Balin's Jungleland
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 03:50:51 PM »
Wow, comparing it to Expedition Geforce is amazing. Did you like Toro or Collossos better?

Collossos is a great ride but has some weakness El Toro is missing. Colossos has a great outward run but the first drop is not nearly as good as ET's. After the turn around Collossos seems to fall flat. The helix is ok and the last few hills are good but not amazing.
 I also I noticed ET doen't have trim brakes Collossos had but was not using. El Toro is a much better ride!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:48:20 PM by twisterbret »

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:32:28 PM »
Well thats awesome. Nice to have you hear on the boards man!